Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Yet another Xbox game recommendation thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-04, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yet another Xbox game recommendation thread

Alright I got the 63% off deal at Target and now Im trying to decide which game to get. I have Halo, Project Gotham, ESPN Football, NFL 2k3, KOTOR, and True Crime(which i will be selling soon). I want a game that will last me a while since I dont buy games that often. I have GTA: VC for PC which is holding me back from getting the GTA double pack. Simpsons: Hit and Run was a game I was considering but Ive heard its too short. Any recommendations?
Old 01-11-04, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Armed and Dangerous. Trust me.
Old 01-11-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

try gladius. Its like a GBA turn based strategy only with good graphics.
Old 01-11-04, 11:54 AM

If you like PGR, PGR2 should be a good buy. Plenty of replay with 100 or so cars to unlock should keep you busy for awhile.

If you like golf, Links 2k4 or Tiger Woods should keep you busy for a good long time. I haven't played Tiger Woods, but I've *heard* it has better single-player gameplay, whereas Links rules online. I play a lot more online than solo these days so I have Links. But my "real world" golf buddy loves Tiger for solo play, though I haven't swung by his house yet to try it out.
Old 01-11-04, 12:23 PM
Retired

If you like open ended RPGs (like KOTOR but with more freedom and less emphasis on the main quest) pick up Morrowind. I haven't played it as those type of games aren't my cup of tea, but if you want something to last, reviews put this at 100+ hours.
Old 01-11-04, 12:40 PM

Don't get Wolfenstein. I'm taking it back today. Armed & Dangerous is fun but repetitive. Try Panzer Dragoon Orta for a good shooter or ESPN NBA 2k4 if you like b-ball.
Old 01-11-04, 12:47 PM
Cool New Member

I agree with Josh, if you like KOTOR pick up Morrowind:Game of the Year edition, not the Platinum Hits version. The GOY edition retails for $29.99, has all of the bugs fixed that were in the Platinum version, and has two expansion packs included. It's WAYYYYY over 100 hours, and like KOTOR you can be as nice or mean to people as you like. The only drawback is the battles are not as fun as KOTOR's, but it's still a great game and a great value.
If you liked the LOTR movies, the new LOTR ROTK game is awesome too, easily one of the best games from a movie ever, but it's much shorter than Morrowind.
Old 01-11-04, 01:54 PM

Besider Rainbow 6, Metal Arms and Beyond Good & Evil are the two best Xbox games i've played in a long while.
KOTOR was also fantastic. BG&E should be $20 everywhere by now.
Old 01-11-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gladius! It was a little slow to start out but if you like turn based strategy games it is tons of fun. My gungnir rules

Also, if you are wanting something that you can play for many hours Morrowind was a good recommend. Well over 100 hours of playtime in it and then the expansions (in the GOTY edition).

Actually Gladius was a long game too - i'm just now at the final tournament in Caltha and have like 70 hours on my saved game.
Old 01-11-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I just picked up PGR2. It's damn awesome. I'm usually not one liking racing games, but this one is great, especially with the X-Box Live. So much fun.
I picked up Dragon Panzoon Orta, and it did nothing for me. Graphics are nice, but playwise, I didn't enjoy.
Top Spin is pretty fun, not really against the machine, but once you play is on Live, it's a lot of fun.
Old 01-11-04, 03:41 PM

Hmm.. it's funny. I don't think Target carries a majority of the games recommended. My Target does not carry Armed & Dangerous, Morrowind GOTY edition, Gladius, Beyond Good & Evil, or Metal Arms.

They used to carry Panzer Dragoon Orta, but it's been long discontinued.
Old 01-11-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh I might also mention that Im not Live ready.
Old 01-11-04, 11:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Crimson Skies is one of my favorite Xbox games. Better if you are on Live, but I really am enjoying the single player or in-home multiplay also.
Old 01-12-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Im picking up Crimson Skies as my next game... the Demo was loads of fun. Cant wait to do some online sky flyin!
Old 01-12-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
My Xbox recoomendations...

Soul Calibur 2
Crimson Skies
Armed and Dangerous (this game is damn_funny)
Panzer Dragoon Orta
SSX 3
Old 01-12-04, 09:12 AM

That's funny, I'm in the same exact situation with the same exact dilema!

I already picked up Crimson Skies for the box.
And TW 2004 for the PS2 along w/ a network adapter.

I have a couple/few rainchecks left and also can't decide on what system to buy for (I have all 3 & a PC), yet alone which games.

I was thinking about getting SSX but can't figure out for which console? Are the graphics better on the box?
From what I've read about the online play, it's probably not reason enough to go w/ the PS2 version if the box looks better.

Also, considering the percentage off you'll be getting, I'd recommend staying w/ the higher priced games, the cheaper ones you can always pick up in BB w/ the coupon.

Other options that have crossed my mind:
- Prince of Persia - the PS2 demo was awesome, and it's ranked at over 90% for all 3 consoles.... BUT everyone complains that it's way short!
- PGR2 - if you like racing games, then this is a no brainer i suppose. Personally, i'm still satisfied w/ GT3 on PS2
- Soul Caliber 2 - best fighting game out, but they're only worth a damn if you have people to play with.
- Top Spin - I love tennis and this game is highly rated. only complaints i've heard are about having to do an entire tourny in 1 sitting
- Max Payne 2 - part 1 was awesome, this is just more of the same i guess
- Deus Ex: Invisible War - this seems like a cool game though I have yet to read any reviews on it.

Sorry for the long post, though I'm looking foward to seeing what more people suggest.
I want to know what you decide on finally! It might give me an idea.
Old 01-13-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I was thinking about getting SSX but can't figure out for which console? Are the graphics better on the box?
Ive noticed no big difference in the game on any of the consoles, but if you want the online play get it on PS2.
Old 01-13-04, 05:38 PM
Retired

Originally posted by zero
Ive noticed no big difference in the game on any of the consoles, but if you want the online play get it on PS2.
Reviews often say that SSX (along with the Tony Hawk games) play best on the dual shock as well, due to the four shoulder buttons.
Old 01-13-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
Beyond Good and Evil is a must. I also liked NCAA Football 2004. Medal of Honor: Rising Sun is fun too, although short. Crimson Skies, Rainbow Six 3, and Project Gotham Racing 2 are must owns for Live. Top Spin and Links 2004 are good as well.