TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Line of Fire - 12/30/03

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Line of Fire - 12/30/03

"Boom, Swagger, Boom"

Malloy is hired to kill individuals in the witness protection program for $1 million each; Lisa sleeps with a man, then realizes he might be a serial rapist/killer.

Cast: Leslie Bibb, David Paymer, Anson Mount, Jeffrey Sams, Brian Goodman, Julie Ann Emery , Michael Irby, Kristen Shaw, Leslie Hope, Stan Kelly, Sean Mahon, Jaycee Porter, Laura Margolis, Michael McFall, Max Martini, Francois Chau, Michael Weinberg, Billy Gallo, Lori Yeghiayan, Doc Duhame.
Director(s): Elodie Keene.
Producer(s): Rod Lurie, Marc Frydman, Jeff Melvoin.
Writer(s): Chris Mundy .

Damn, this is a good show. Roy just about got busted by a U.S. Marshall that was selling names/addresses (w/ the help of the late Bert Summers) of people in the Witness Protection Program to Malloy. Malloy was having them knocked off for a cool million $. Roy was noticed by the bad marshall and when he went to buy a name for Malloy almost got nailed - he slighly got out of it and turned the whole thing around on the marshall for Malloy (so the boss really likes his dedication now). Anson Mount does a great job as Roy every week, but this week he was in top form - when he went to hit his head on the post after Amiel shot the bad marshall, I winced like a son of a bitch. He's good.

Sampson's story was kind of bleh, but she was good none the less. Her husband proves again that he is a complete ***** - I see them getting separated soon.

I was wrong - Special Agent in Charge Cohen doesn't drive on the wrong side of the road, she's just an irresponsible drunk. Peter Horton pops up on another ABC show as the Richmond Chief of Police and Cohen's former married boyfriend.

Last edited by B.A.; 12-30-03 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-31-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loved the hit out in L.A.

Lots of Roy, lots of Sampson: ideal episode.
Old 12-31-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Decent episode. I love Sampson. The C story with Cohen was just weird. "I think I may have hooked up with a federally wanted serial rapist at a bar last night." "Well, bring in the condom." Uh ... ok. Roy's story is very strong; I just hope they don't put him in the position of narrowly escaping being found out every week.

Gotta wonder how much faith ABC has in this show if they're airing a new ep on December 30.

das
Old 12-31-03, 02:38 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I think with the last 2 episodes it's starting to get its footing.

Roy's story is great.

The Cohen story was , um, intersting. I thought I was watching the first season of 24 since that seemed like something that would happen to Teri Bauer. It would have been intersting if it had been the rapist.
Old 12-31-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I like this show a lot. Interesting mix of characters. The only weak point is Malloy. He's so over the top evil it's a little hard to swallow. This guy has absolutely no humanity in him whatsoever.
You would think Roy would've apologized to the agent who saved his life, after talking stink to him earlier. The headbutt on the post was painful looking. Did Roy say in last week's episode that he was working deep cover for two years in jail? That's dedication!
Old 12-31-03, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The scene between Roy and MacArthur right after he kills the Marshall was the unspoken apology/understanding between each other. And yeah, I think it was 2+ years. They talked about it in the first episode.

das
Old 12-31-03, 08:30 AM

I know not many of you use it, but does closed captioning work for you on this show? I thought it might be my TV and/or ReplayTV, but i was able to play another previously recorded show and CC showed up.

Maybe the producers of this show don't pay to have the script transcribed..
Old 12-31-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
I like this show a lot. Interesting mix of characters. The only weak point is Malloy. He's so over the top evil it's a little hard to swallow. This guy has absolutely no humanity in him whatsoever.

I disagree. I think his interest in taking the baseball player under his wing and pushing him to succeed shows a lot of humanity in him.

I thought the Roy and Sampson storylines were really good. I thought Sampson's creative way of teaching her son a lesson was pretty funny.

I also thought Cohen played for the other team. So much for that.

Re: Scheduling new episodes in this dead week. I'm not sure what it means. I believe that this is a 12-episode run so maybe they just want to squeeze them all in and get NYPD Blue back for February sweeps.

What I would do if I were ABC (if they decide to renew it) is treat it like Sopranos - do 13-episode seasons and air them Mondays at 10 starting in January (after MNF ends).
Old 12-31-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog

What I would do if I were ABC (if they decide to renew it) is treat it like Sopranos - do 13-episode seasons and air them Mondays at 10 starting in January (after MNF ends).
Not Mondays! RAW is on!
Old 12-31-03, 10:08 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I hope ABC does some sort of marathon with this show as I've been missing out on it so far.
Old 12-31-03, 11:45 AM

I've been a loyal watcher of NYPD Blue since the first season, but I have to admit that lately I've enjoyed this show more than this season of NYPD Blue, the UC agent storyline is really fascinating to me.
Old 12-31-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by lucasorion
I've been a loyal watcher of NYPD Blue since the first season, but I have to admit that lately I've enjoyed this show more than this season of NYPD Blue, the UC agent storyline is really fascinating to me.
I agree - this show has definitely been better than Blue has been of late.
Old 12-31-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Not Mondays! RAW is on!
Exactly! That's why I missed the last season of "Married... With Children", when Fox moved it to Monday's at 9pm.
Old 12-31-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Finally caught up with the past 3 episodes, and they are all very watchable and intriguing.

Malloy is good at compartamentalizing his schemes and his hobbies, so he can be cold-blooded in one scene, and then a likable sports fan in another. What he is is a sociopath.

Jennifer is the reason I watch the show, she got that spunkiness that wins me over, and the show takes great pains to paint her as a flawed character with a lot of good intentions, but nonetheless she doesn't always respond in the manner that would de-escalate the situation at home.

Paige is slowly growing on me, but she's still a bit too much of a one-facet character for now.

Lisa is your classic self-destructive, and yet highly capable field leader. She's good at her job, but her other sides are much darker and painful.

Roy's got the most interesting arc so far, but his ascent into Malloy's organization might get going too fast (necessarily so for episode TV).

At least there are many shades of gray all throughout this show which makes it more interesting to watch than shows that rely on good vs. evil to provide a satisfactory conclusion to each week's episode.

Looking forward to more to come.
Old 12-31-03, 07:13 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
I like Bambi. The show needs more Bambi.
Old 12-31-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bambi shows up on Angel from time to time as well this season.
Old 01-02-04, 03:49 PM

I think this show keeps getting better.

I loved the agent in this episode that has the kid. Great performance by her.

And the sex scene? dirrrrrty.
Old 01-05-04, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Lisa has some dark past that's going to be slowly uncovered as the show goes on. There has to be some big dark skeleton in her closet for her to be carrying these demons. My bet is sexual assault, since I don't think it was a coincidence that the writers wrote in this one-night stand guy being a possible serial rapist.