Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about the mortality of elves

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

***NOTE: Two Towers Spoilers Below***

I was watching the Fellowship of the Ring commentary track again and on a number of occasions Olando Bloom comments that elves cannot die and are, in fact, immortals who have never had to experience death due to being with their own kind.

Now, doesn't an elf, or a few for that matter, die in the battle of Helms Deep?

My first thoughts on this matter reminded me of the Highlander films and how, indeed, they are immortals but if you remove their heads, indeed, they can die. However, it appears that most of the elves in said battle were stabbed or fell.

What is the extent of their mortality. I have read the books but don't quite recall a passage that explains this further.

Thanks.
Old 12-12-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't recall specifically where, but this topic was addressed somewhere in the DVDs. The answer is pretty simple: Elves are immortal in that they will never die of old age. But they can die in battle just like a human.
Old 12-12-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally posted by caiman
I can't recall specifically where, but this topic was addressed somewhere in the DVDs. The answer is pretty simple: Elves are immortal in that they will never die of old age. But they can die in battle just like a human.
This is what I figured.
Old 12-12-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exactly what has been said. they can die by mortal hands, but if left on there own, age can't touch them.
Old 12-13-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, isn't it that they aren't truly immortal in the real sense of the word, but they live so long they might as well be?
Old 12-13-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Corvin
Well, isn't it that they aren't truly immortal in the real sense of the word, but they live so long they might as well be?
Nope - they are immortal. Natural death is a "gift" given to man-kind by god in Tolkien's universe.
Old 12-13-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks. Don't know where I got my faulty info from.
Old 12-13-03, 03:47 AM

Elves can also die of intense grief (not kidding) The song Aragorn sings about Baren and Luthien makes reference to this. Luthien nealry dies of grief after her human lover Baren dies after stealing the Silmaril from Morgoth. The god of death after witnessing her grief granted them both a Mortal life (a second chance) to spend together. Luthien is also one of Elronds ancestors. (great grandmother or something)

SO essentially she lost her mortality. Also, an Elf can die of wounds like any other creature.

Last edited by rushmore223; 12-13-03 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-13-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Elves are 'immortal', at least while the World lasts; they do not suffer ageing or disease, and if they are slain or wither with grief, they are reincarnated in the Halls of Mandos in Valinor.