Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Data in Nemesis (SPOILERS!)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Question about Data in Nemesis (SPOILERS!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Question about Data in ST:Nemesis (SPOILERS!)

Forgive me Trekkies if this is a silly question. I am only a casual fan of Star Trek, so perhaps I have missed something in the mythology that explains this. (Warning: Anyone who hasn't seen the last Star Trek film, and is still planning to, should read no further!)

I remember when Nemesis came out, people were upset about how it ended with Data dying. I agreed for the most part with the reasons, some of which indicated it was a cheap way to end the series without any finality, since the possibility that B-4 would one day become Data was left open.

Then, the other night, I was flipping through channels and came across TNG's episode "All Good Things." I had seen it before - but suddenly it caused me to realize something. If a portion of this episode takes place when Picard is an old man - and Data is still around - doesn't that pretty much explain why Nemesis ended the way it did in regards to the B-4 character? Wouldn't the movie HAVE to leave a little hint at the end that B-4 would one day turn into Data?

Just curious if I am interpreting this correctly...

Last edited by rennervision; 12-31-03 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-09-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're think too hard about this. Berman and Braga are known for not giving a shit about continuity. They also make up crap along the way just for the hell of it.
Old 12-09-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here we go. Be prepared for all the Nemesis/B&B haters to come out of the woodwork.

Anyway, I like your take on it, it works for me and may indicate that maybe they DO care about continuity after all.

Of course, the beautiful thing about Star Trek is that you can consider any continuity errors or inconsistencies as "alternate universes/timelines" ala the great episode "Parallels".
Old 12-09-03, 10:13 AM
Suspended

The future seen in "All Good Things" was only one possible future. Remember, the Enterprise-D was still around in the future, as well, yet it was blown up in Generations, immediately following the end of the series.
Old 12-09-03, 11:58 AM

yup, at the end of all good things, riker and co are talking around the poker table, and one of them mentions that it was only one possible future that picard saw.
Old 12-12-03, 12:51 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Re: Question about Data in ST:Nemesis (SPOILERS!)

Originally posted by rennervision
I remember when Nemesis came out, people were upset about how it ended with Data dying.
I actually forgot about this in the time between seeing it in theaters and when the disc came out. Really made quite the impression, eh?
Old 12-13-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth Numanoid •<HR SIZE=1>Here we go. Be prepared for all the Nemesis/B&B haters to come out of the woodwork.<HR SIZE=1>

Well, I wasn't going to post, but since you're openly taunting me ...

As others have noted, that future will never happen. When Picard joins them for poker, that future goes bye-bye. Linking B-4 to potential-future-Data in 'All Good Things ...' as an example of B&B's undying love for continuity ranks with the most absurd justifications I've ever heard. B&B have already publicly stated mulitple times that they don't care anyway.

rennervision, it's an interesting idea, but no. Even if that future were to come to pass, which it wouldn't, they wouldn't call B-4 by Data's name.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 12-13-03 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-13-03, 08:38 AM

actually, i decided to call him "Beta Data".

i didn't like the ending of Nemesis either, but i'm really hoping they'll squeeze one more out (yeah right, but one can hope) and make it better.
Old 12-13-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I figured since whatshisface doesn't want to do Data anymore the "Beta Data" was brought on as a blank slate(Childlike).

I figured in the next movie it will be new actor and they'll say he wanted to differentiate himself from Data by changing his face.

Shit...it's as gooda way out as any