Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Singing Detective (2003 Film version) - ugh!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-03, 10:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

wow... the Sundance audience were right about this, this movie was horrible. Okay acting and effective stylish cinematography/editing (and a semi-explicit scene involving Jeremy Northam and a female character) (are the only positive things I can say about the film), but it was liking watching a train wreck in slow motion. The story, tone and attempts at humour were inconsistent and tried to make a point that ultimately never achieved. The 'canned' singing was corny ('tacky' is another word that came to mind). Robert Downey Jr.'s acting (or any of the film's multiple characters) came across as smug and unsympathetic. One indication of a bad movie for me, is if I ever have to look at my watch in hopes of a movie's ending - I did this three times.

Last edited by Giles; 11-18-03 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-18-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm . . . I found it surprisingly amusing. Not very substantial (about as thin as Gibson's scalp) and not much in the way of characterizations, but amusing in a "I liked most of the songs and the performers kind of way". About the only defense I can stand behind is Downey whom I found fascinating to watch (or maybe it was just his make-up).

OT: Giles, I'm glad you enjoyed The Tracker so much, and glad someone else has seen it.
Old 11-18-03, 11:24 AM

actually Downey's makeup was just plain vile and not something to look at while chowing down on popcorn. Realistic and painful to look at.

In terms of the songs in my mind they weren't very memorable. The way they were intergrated into the film seemed like an after thought and just casually thrown in.

As for "The Tracker", go figure as to why this film hasn't been picked up by a US (independent) studio. Unique, fascinating and totally riveting.
Old 11-18-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was eating M&Ms and didn't have any problems. Though I can see how popcorn may have a similar texture to . . . this particular skin condition. Crunchy perhaps?
Old 11-18-03, 03:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Haven't the reviews been glowing, for the most part regarding this movie? I haven't seen it, but have read good things.
Old 11-18-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
Haven't the reviews been glowing, for the most part regarding this movie? I haven't seen it, but have read good things.
...well, no... not all reviews have been "glowing"... for instance this one certainly wasn't...

. . . . . .
Old 11-18-03, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Geofferson
really? wonder what those reviewers were smoking, this is one of the movies, where I can say I have seen it, but will never ever inflict myself to rewatch. Once is enough.
Old 11-19-03, 03:49 AM

Katie Holmes

nuff said.
Old 11-19-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I Really liked it.
And i'm always right.
So there you go
Old 11-20-03, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by custom001
Katie Holmes

nuff said.
she's underused, kind of like "Once Upon A time in Mexico" where they touted Selma Hayek role but only ended up with around 10 minutes of footage of her.