Search

DVD Miniseries and More Based on "24" Concept

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
DVD Miniseries and More Based on "24" Concept

From a recent story:
Joel Surnow, creator of hit real-time drama "24," and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment are in the early stages of creating a series of direct-to-video projects that will carry the "24" brand and real-time concept, Surnow said during his keynote speech at today's TV-on-DVD conference hosted by Video Store Magazine, The Hollywood Reporter and the Digital Entertainment Group.

...Surnow and Fox Home Entertainment are cooking up a potential series of feature-length or even miniseries-length programs that will follow "24's" real-time concept and hit DVD without ever airing on broadcast television.

"It's still in the very initial stages," Surnow said. "But we are looking at ideas like a two-hour hostage situation or a rescue drama or an emergency-room story."

The programs would not necessarily feature the same cast and crew of "24," Surnow said, but will run on their own production schedule at the same time "24" is filming.

"24" as a concept is really built for DVD, Surnow acknowledged, in part because it is the type of show people don't want to wait a week to see the next episode of.

...DVD, in particular, has been a boon to his show, Surnow admitted. He attributes much of "24's" more than 25 percent growth in viewership for the second season to the fact that the complete set to the first season came out before season two aired and saw such success on DVD.

"The DVD sales also helped justify the kind of money we have to spend to make the show," Surnow said.
Old 10-23-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds great. I'd check it out.

As to 24 being built for DVD, I'd agree. That's the only way I've seen 24 so far, and the only way I intend to see it in the future.
Old 10-23-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this could be interesting..it would be nice if they included some of the minor characters in these. if they focus them on Tony or Michelle or someone else from CTU I'd buy them for sure
Old 10-23-03, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree it's a good concept but I'd favor them moving away from the usual "24" cast. Unless they did like I thought they should have done w/ the series and recast everyone (same people/different roles/completely different story). Like they used to do in the early movie days when you had a set group of people but in every movie they would take on different roles.
Old 10-23-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth nemein •<HR SIZE=1>I agree it's a good concept but I'd favor them moving away from the usual "24" cast. Unless they did like I thought they should have done w/ the series and recast everyone (same people/different roles/completely different story). Like they used to do in the early movie days when you had a set group of people but in every movie they would take on different roles. <HR SIZE=1>

Yeah, that's what I wanted to. Of course, that would take a lot of creativity, and we can't have that.

Hopefully a DVD release would spare us the annoying episodic nature of the show that gives us silly rehashing of dialogue (to remind viewers) and convenient moments of shock on the hour.

das
Old 10-23-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm. sounds like Phone Booth 2(4) could be made
Old 10-23-03, 04:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Cool. I've always wondered what 24 would be like with Lorenzo Lama and Valerie Bertinelli.