Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Have there been any 3-D movies released on DVD?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-03, 08:22 PM
Doctorwho

Like 3-d glasses type movies. I know spy kids three eventually but wondering if their where any others?

Old 10-21-03, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. Some of the old horror classics are supposed to be 3D.
Old 10-21-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Freddy's Dead has a 3D ending w/glasses.

Also a bunch of horror movies. They can usually be found in the Box Set section at Best Buy.
Old 10-21-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Slingshot seems to be about the only studio putting out 3-D movies on DVD for Region 1. Do a title search for "3-D" at http://www.kazart.com/mec/DVDList.html

Not all of the titles listed will be in 3-D as this phrase is used in a couple of non-3-D movies.
Old 10-22-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's an odd one... The documentary, TRINITY & BEYOND: THE ATOMIC BOMB MOVIE, includes footage of an A-bomb blast in 3-D!
Old 10-22-03, 04:02 AM
dhm

Speaking of which: WHen in the hell are they going to release DIAL M FOR MURDER on DVD.
Old 10-22-03, 07:50 AM

IIRC, the original Thirteen Ghosts comes with a set of 3-D glasses, but I'm not sure if you can actually watch the movie with them or if they're included simply for nostalgia.
Old 10-22-03, 08:51 AM

I was hoping for F13 Part 3 3-D and Treasure of the 4 Crowns to come out on DVD using the red/blue glasses...but I dont think thats gonna happen. They all say you need the shutter glasses I think
Old 10-22-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are looking for 3-D DVDs that can be viewed without extra equipment, there have been some red/blue DVDs released. FREDDY'S DEAD, THE ATOMIC BOMB MOVIE, FOUR DIMENSIONS OF GRETA (R2), EMMANUELLE IV (R2), WILDCAT WOMEN, M 3-D/THE PLAYMATES double feature, BLONDE EMMANUELLE, COMIN AT YA, THE BUBBLE, and soon SPY KIDS 3-D are some of them. More were released on laser and VHS as well.

Keep in mind the effect on these red/blue things isn't so good, especially for the downconverted versions of movies intended to be shown in the far superior polarized (clear glasses) format, such as COMIN AT YA, EMMANUELLE IV and THE BUBBLE. You'll get ugly color, ghosting, minimal depth, and failed gimmick shots. Trust me, you don't want to see FRIDAY THE 13TH or TREASURE OF THE FOUR CROWNS converted to red/blue, the results would be unwatchable.

If you want to see quality 3-D which is a much closer approximation of polarized 3-D, the shutter glasses are the way to go. They really aren't expensive anymore and you can get sets which include the system, two pairs of glasses, and some demo DVDs for $70 at major retailers. (Just be careful of some hucksters selling fake 3-D versions of movies that weren't shot that way, because it doesn't work. In other words, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is not 3-D even if they process the image to require glasses because the movie was shot flat to begin with.)

Field sequential (shutter glasses required) isn't perfect, but it does allow for full color or normal B/W images, excellent depth, and gimmick shots which really do appear to come off the screen.

Many of the older 3-D movies (1950's and through many of the 80's efforts) were released in good field sequential versions in Japan years ago on VHD disc. These have been bootlegged to death since then, and yet the studios don't seem to want to put legitimate DVDs of these versions out. Kind of dumb not to want to make the money themselves....

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 10-22-03 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-22-03, 03:39 PM
Cool New Member

This set is supposed to be *THE* 3-D set to own on DVDs. I'm planning on buying it very soon...

The Ultimate 3-D Collection (Haunted Castle / Alien Adventure / Encounter in the Third Dimension)

Old 10-22-03, 03:46 PM

Trust me, you don't want to see FRIDAY THE 13TH or TREASURE OF THE FOUR CROWNS converted to red/blue, the results would be unwatchable.
But they used the red/blue glasses in the theaters and from what I rememberd the 3D effect was awesome...but then again i was a little kid then impressed by anything.

I see Amazon has the ultimate 3d set for 89.99 shipped...ill have to research.
Old 10-22-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, these films were released in polarized format (clear glasses) in theatres and so have 99% of all the 120+ 3-D features made since 1953.

Yes, for sure. No doubt. Oh, you'll find a lot of bogus info on the net that states the old movies used red/blue, but it isn't true.

I saw those very films in the 1980's, along with two dozen others. I've also just returned from seeing 35 of the 50 3-D movies made in 1953 in LA, and they were all shown in their original polarized, clear glasses glory. It was a wonderful thing to see these movies as intended! See www.3dfilmfest.com for details on what went on. Another batch of the 1980's 3-D movies is playing in san Diego right now (including FRIDAY) and all are using the polarized format as well.

People get confused because some of the older ones were later downconverted into the horrible red/blue system for TV showings or even re-issues (CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON is a good example.) However, they were not intended to be seen that way and look 1000% better in polarized. Also, some red/blue glasses with the JAWS or FRIDAY logo turn up from time to time and people think they were from the movies but they were not, they were used with posters, gum cards and such that were used to promote the movies.

The red/blue anaglyph format is much more suited to comic books and posters. It simply isn't suitable for movies, and that's why it has been used so little. SPY KIDS 3-D is probably the highest profile release to ever be exhibited in the inferior format. FREDDY'S DEAD also used it, as well as THE MASK and some adult films, but that's about it.

So you REALLY don't want to see the polarized movies converted to red/blue anaglyph. It's ugly and inneffective. Polarized is the real deal. At home, the shutter glasses are the best route. TREASURE and FRIDAY look great in my living room!

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 10-22-03 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-22-03, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by TheCurse9
This set is supposed to be *THE* 3-D set to own on DVDs. I'm planning on buying it very soon...

The Ultimate 3-D Collection (Haunted Castle / Alien Adventure / Encounter in the Third Dimension)

Does anyone know if this will work with a video projector/progressive scan system? I have concerns that it may rely on the VBI or interlacing in order to work but would love to get it.
Old 10-22-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It won't work in progressive scan mode from what I've read. I know it can work with projectors but I've not had first hand experience so I can't help too much there.

It works on my HDTV but not if the progressive scan is activated.
Old 10-22-03, 08:08 PM

Good to know! I would have spent hours trying to figure out why it didn't work if I got the set...I'm not a big direction reader...i just plug everything in and go..lol.
Old 10-25-03, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Steve Phillips
It won't work in progressive scan mode from what I've read. I know it can work with projectors but I've not had first hand experience so I can't help too much there.

Thanks, you saved me some money then! It definitely won't work on my projector.
Old 10-25-03, 12:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone know if Spy Kids 3 (3-D) will be released in 3-D?
Old 10-25-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by AdamGott
Does anyone know if this will work with a video projector/progressive scan system? I have concerns that it may rely on the VBI or interlacing in order to work but would love to get it.
The set comes with a (composite) video extension cable. It sounds like you have to hook it up that way in order to use it. So, if you're using progressive scan, which requires the component cables, you would have to just switch to a composite input when watching the 3-D set. Do projectors not have that type of input, or is there another reason why it wouldn't work?
Old 10-25-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by davejt1
IIRC, the original Thirteen Ghosts comes with a set of 3-D glasses, but I'm not sure if you can actually watch the movie with them or if they're included simply for nostalgia.
Saw this in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart the other day. I believe you can watch it from what the description said.
Old 10-25-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Saw this in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart the other day. I believe you can watch it from what the description said.
It comes with the "ghost viewer" glasses in the case (1 pair). Also, it was in the $5.88 bin by mistake as this film is $9.88 @ Wal-Mart.
Old 10-25-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mr_jbloggs
Does anyone know if Spy Kids 3 (3-D) will be released in 3-D?
I bet it is. Here's why... I saw the flick in the theater and was very disappointed that Rodriguez opted for the inferior red/blue technology for his 3-D flick. Up until I read this thread I could not figure out why, but now I'm guessing he chose that specifically because red/blue is the best way to release a mass-market 3-D film on DVD.
Old 10-25-03, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TheCurse9

That's the exact one that I have. I use it with a 53" Sony and it works great.