Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Eddie Murphy - Raw/Delirious - DVD release ever?

Community
Search

Eddie Murphy - Raw/Delirious - DVD release ever?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-03, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eddie Murphy - Raw/Delirious

Hello all.

Does anybody know if Eddie Murphy Raw and Eddie Murphy Delirious will be released on DVD?

It seems like all other Eddie Murphy films have been released on DVD now. Surely, there must be a plan to release these as well. At least, let's hope so.

J
Old 10-15-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It seems from previous threads discussing this subject that both are out of print in an attempt to preserve Eddie Murphy's marketability in family comedies such as Doctor Doolittle and Daddy Daycare. Personally, I would totally spring for a double-feature DVD with these titles on them.
Old 10-15-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would also buy these...in a heartbeat... so much better than the kiddie fare he's cranking out now... Does Paramount still own these?? (Because they aren't releasing the kiddie friendly Eddie flicks, so what the **** do they care... release them!!!!)

MATT
Old 10-15-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
coughebaycough
Old 10-15-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

paramount should also work on SE's of:

Coming to america, Trading places & 48hrs.

Best defense isn't on dvd.
--wait, that might not be such a terrible thing

Maybe we can petition paramount for these releases, or at least offer to trade in vampire in brooklyn for them.
Old 10-15-03, 08:24 PM
Banned

Eddie really needs to wake up look in the mirror and realize the public doesnt like Kiddy eddie murphy. They like the raw dirty eddie. And then crawl out of the shells hes been in for the last 10 years. I really wish each day he hadn't got caught with that tranvestite and we wouldnt be having this conversation right now.
Old 10-15-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Raw has been on DirecTvs HD Movie station the last 3 months. It looks very nice (1:85:1) & had a decent 5.1 track too (just laughing in the rears). So they do have a widescreen, 5.1 HD master of it. They just showed the Cosby/Pottier movie- either Uptown Saturday Night or Let's Do It Again- and that was just announced as coming out in a few months, so maybe Raw will be soon. I must say though, that Raw wasn't quite as funny now as it was then.
Old 10-15-03, 08:48 PM
Cool New Member

Yep I'm all for the very unlikely SE of Coming To America. It's my all time favorite movie and I'd love to see a commentary, anamorphic transfer, and maybe some deleted scenes or documentries. But I know this will never happen.
Old 10-15-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dxwwf3
Yep I'm all for the very unlikely SE of Coming To America. It's my all time favorite movie and I'd love to see a commentary, anamorphic transfer, and maybe some deleted scenes or documentries. But I know this will never happen.
They could also throw a SE of Harlem Nights in while they are at it
Old 10-15-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
paramount should also work on SE's of:

Coming to america, Trading places & 48hrs.

Best defense isn't on dvd.
--wait, that might not be such a terrible thing
Of all of those (including Raw and Delirious) Trading Places desrves to go to SE first. That was a landmark comedy of the 80's (and the first movie I ever taped off of TV ). Awesome commentaries and interviews possible with such a stellar cast . . . and the bloopers!!! I could laugh just from the posibilitites. I think that Coming to America would be next in line (especially with the "Randolph and Mortimer tie-in . . . it just makes sense!!! ).

By the way, there is a LARGE group of the population that appreciates Eddie's newer "kiddie" stuff more than what he used to do . . . not neccessarily us, mind you, but I believe that he has been quoted a saying that he got into a more children focused mode when he started thinking about his own kids. Kind of admirable really . . . but it still sucks for everybody who lliked his old stuff . . .
Old 10-16-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think what Eddie is doing now is great... but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy Raw or Delerious... Those were pretty funny and would definitely be worthy of shelf space in my DVD library.
Old 10-16-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by puddytay
Eddie really needs to wake up look in the mirror and realize the public doesnt like Kiddy eddie murphy. They like the raw dirty eddie.
Well, how do I put this.... No.

First of all, I seem to remember hearing that Eddie apologized for at least one of these movies, and I tend to think he wants to put this part of his life behind him. Who can blame him? I seem to remember him referring to women kissing their gay friends and "going home with the AIDS on their lips." Try submitting that one to the "memorable quotes" section at IMDB. That's just a startlingly dangerous, ignorant thing to say. In fact, one can only hope that Raw now stands as a document to express how far we've come in this country with respect to public opinion on gays and AIDS. Funny? In parts. Ugly? Definitely.

Second of all, the numbers clearly show that the public does like Kiddy eddie murphy.
Check out Box Office Mojo.

Shrek grossed $267,665,011.
The Nutty Professor grossed $128,814,019.
Dr. Dolittle grossed $144,156,464.
The Nutty Professor II grossed $$123,307,945.
Dr. Dolittle II grossed $$112,952,899.
Mulan grossed $120,620,254.
Sure, Beverly Hills Cop grossed $234,760,478, but Beverly Hills Cop III grossed $42,614,912.
Showtime? $38,082,712.
I Spy? $33,561,137.

I shouldn't even have to mention The Adventures of Pluto Nash...

Last edited by evenswr; 10-16-03 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-16-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by evenswr
Well, how do I put this.... No.

First of all, I seem to remember hearing that Eddie apologized for at least one of these movies, and I tend to think he wants to put this part of his life behind him. Who can blame him? I seem to remember him referring to women kissing their gay friends and "going home with the AIDS on their lips." Try submitting that one to the "memorable quotes" section at IMDB. That's just a startlingly dangerous, ignorant thing to say. In fact, one can only hope that Raw now stands as a document to express how far we've come in this country with respect to public opinion on gays and AIDS. Funny? In parts. Ugly? Definitely.
Sorry about the off board topic post here:
1. I don't think people take health tips from "Raw"
2. It's comedy.
3. So what do you suggest...censorship?

OK, kiddy Murphy is popular too...but the fact is that Raw and particularly Delerious are benchmark stand-up routines. It's funny because he's talented, it's also funny because he's edgy and dangerous. Comedy has a long tradition of pushing boundries of taste and propriety (Pryor did an album called "SuperN----r" fer crissake). That's what makes it so good.

To bring it back to "DVD Talk"- I would buy these in a heartbeat.
Old 10-16-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hiro11
Sorry about the off board topic post here:
Agreed. I was really going off into threadcrap territory there. But, here we go.

1. I don't think people take health tips from "Raw"
I guess we'd disagree on the impact of Mr. Murphy spreading disinformation. And it wasn't simply about "health tips." I admit that the quote I supplied must truly be seen in context to appreciate how offensive it is. I should also point out that there are plenty of other homophobic statements in the movie besides that one.

2. It's comedy.
Which doesn't really mean anything. Can I make a joke about anything? I probably couldn't make fun of one of your relatives suffering, for example.

3. So what do you suggest...censorship?
Not at all. I just responded to a thread that I saw heading down an interesting path. That path seemed to be that Eddie Murphy was a lot funnier back in the day, and much more popular. Well, I used to like Raw, too, but I'm proud to say that I've changed since then. I now look back at things I thought were funny and realize that they're not any more. Murphy himself has admitted as much. Now, mind you, I never sought to suggest that these discs should not be made available, or that a single word should be cut out of them. In fact, I'd like to hear Murphy do a commentary track where he explains himself.

OK, kiddy Murphy is popular too...but the fact is that Raw and particularly Delerious are benchmark stand-up routines. It's funny because he's talented, it's also funny because he's edgy and dangerous. Comedy has a long tradition of pushing boundries of taste and propriety (Pryor did an album called "SuperN----r" fer crissake). That's what makes it so good.
But Pryor is the object of racism. He's a member of a racial minority. It's common for members of a minority to "claim" an offensive word to take away its power. I'm sure Eddie Izzard could put out an album called "SuperQ---r" and I'd have no problem with it. But if David Cross (a white comedian) put out an album with the "N-Word" in it, I might be more suspicious. Oh, that's right...he did. But you have to hear it in context to appreciate that it's not meant to be hurtful. One could hardly make the same argument for Raw.

To bring it back to "DVD Talk"- I would buy these in a heartbeat.
Yeah, well, I'm thinking about buying Triumph of the Will, but that doesn't mean I agree with the message.