Boston Public "Chapter Sixty-Nine" 09.26.2003

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chapter Sixty-Nine

Cheerleading rivalry takes a nasty turn that reopens an old wound for a competitive mom (Sean Young); an electric shock causes a student to believe he's Jesus; a shy teenage girl's fling troubles Carmen, who's vexed by the wallflower's swaggering boyfriend.
This ep didn't bother me. The whole "Jesus is gonna get his ass kicked or die" foreshadowing was kinda , but if it was a plot device to give Michael Rappaport more screentime, i'm all for it..

Good to see cute blonde chick from last season..

And, again, Ms. Torres
Old 09-26-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont think the kid died. The cheerleading storyline was kinda stupid.

next week looks like pure Boston Public - waaaay over the top
Old 09-26-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Okay, what in the hell was that c.f.?

Honk!
Old 09-26-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

cf?
Old 09-26-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Venusian
i dont think the kid died. The cheerleading storyline was kinda stupid.
I don't either...but he was either going to die or get his ass kicked...perhaps I should've said the "martyrdom" foreshadowing...

And, I agree about the cheerleading thing...it was an obvious Guber setup...hasn't this chick seen any detective shows or movies..jeez...
Old 09-26-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

oh yeah, i saw the fight coming. it will probably jolt him back into reality or something
Old 09-26-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
What happened to Micheal Rappaport's wife on this show?
Old 09-26-03, 11:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
She died.

Wow...jesus....hmm...
Old 09-27-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

huh??

when did that happen..?
Old 09-27-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
cf?
Military term, it means clusterf***.

Honk!
Old 09-27-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i think he's joking. she never died on the show, just hasn't been mentioned this season
Old 09-27-03, 11:51 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Im kidding about her death. Yikes
Old 09-27-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Why isn't this episode 68?

We do need more Becky on the show.

Good to see Milo Ventimiglia get some work now that he doesn't work on Girlmore Girls anymore.

I sort of dug the catfight between the cheerleading moms.

Rappaport did get some major face time there in his subplot.

The "kinder, gentler" Stephen Harper bits were funny and painful, Guber's vignette was the funniest, followed by Lipshitz's.
Old 09-27-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Im kidding about her death. Yikes
Hey! with the history this show has of casually disposing of its characters, could you blame me for not thinking it actually happened..?
Originally posted by Patman
Why isn't this episode 68?

We do need more Becky on the show.

The "kinder, gentler" Stephen Harper bits were funny and painful, Guber's vignette was the funniest, followed by Lipshitz's.
I was wondering about the title too...but that's what was listed at Yahoo.com. Agree about Becky . And i'm hoping that "Jesus" was wrong about what he told Harvey..
Old 09-27-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty entertaining episode.

From the point that Sean Young first showed up I kept thinking to myself, it would be cool if she and Guber got together. She could be like the psycho Hook Lady. Probably won't happen, though.

I don't know anything about the Jewish religiion (you'll probably think I don't know anything about Christianity after you read this too), but I was confused about the whole Jesus Christ thing. Here's why. In the movie Delta Force (the one with Chuck Norris) the terrorists on the airplane ask for all the Jews to come forward. Well, the priest (I think he was Catholic) comes forward and says something to the affect that Jesus was a Jew (I think) and therefore steps forward, much to the chagrin of the sisters he's travelling with. But on this episode of Boston Public, it's made clear that Jews don't believe in Christ (which I would then assume to mean that Christ was not a Jew). Somebody help me out here. I feel like an idiot.

Old 09-27-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jew refers to two different groups of people: religious and ethnic. The children of Israel (Jacob) are called Jews, this includes Jesus. Today, people refer to the followers of Judaism as Jews as well, these people don't believe in Jesus
Old 09-27-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think what Venusian meant to say was "Your first mistake was getting a definition of religion from a Chuck Norris action flick.."
Old 09-27-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jew refers to two different groups of people: religious and ethnic. The children of Israel (Jacob) are called Jews, this includes Jesus. Today, people refer to the followers of Judaism as Jews as well, these people don't believe in Jesus
I know that the term "Jew" refers to either a person's ethnicity or religion. Or both.

So in the case of the Boston Public episode, both Lipschultz and the kid were Jewish in terms of religion then, and therefore did not believe in Christ as a religious figure? (Although Harvey is Jewish by ethnicity, too).

So basically you're saying that Christ is Jewish because of geographic origin (ethnicity), but he's not Jewish in terms of religion, right?

Old 09-27-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rogue588
I think what Venusian meant to say was "Your first mistake was getting a definition of religion from a Chuck Norris action flick.."
Hey, movies are a great source of education! How else would I have known that there was a dramatic love triangle underlying the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor?

Old 09-27-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Old 09-27-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I know that the term "Jew" refers to either a person's ethnicity or religion. Or both.

So in the case of the Boston Public episode, both Lipschultz and the kid were Jewish in terms of religion then, and therefore did not believe in Christ as a religious figure? (Although Harvey is Jewish by ethnicity, too).

So basically you're saying that Christ is Jewish because of geographic origin (ethnicity), but he's not Jewish in terms of religion, right?

right. but you could go a little further and confuse yourself. Jesus was a Jew by religion (in His day). He fulfilled the prophecies in the Torah. However, modern day Jews (and many Jews in His time) say He didn't. Christians say He did.

but the simple answer is that Jesus was a Jew by ethnicity not faith.
Old 09-27-03, 11:58 PM
Doctorwho

I have a friend thats jewish. I dont think of him as my friend who is jewish, but as my jewish friend.

It's kind of weird because i'm part arab, and hes part jew, were supposed to hate each other and such because something about history and blah blah blah. Anyways I was at my grandparents house once and said happy haunikah and they all freaked. Why am I supposed to respect my elders/heritage again?

Are you a jew?
jew-ish
Old 09-28-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
this episode was a mish-mash of story lines. The jesus thing was dumb. The cheerleading thing was kind of dumb. the NARC thing was done last season. Good to see Becky back, though.

next week, looks like there's gonna be some skin!