Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

No No No... they're stealing my idea! Magnum, PI the Movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Imagine nabs 'Magnum P.I.'
Grazer, Bellasario to redo Selleck skein for big screen

By MICHAEL FLEMING

Universal Pictures and Imagine chairman Brian Grazer acquired the rights to turn the long-running CBS drama "Magnum, P.I." into a feature film.

Grazer will team with series co-creator Donald Bellisario to produce the pic. They've hired scribe Michael McCullers, who with Mike Myers scripted the second and third installments of the "Austin Powers" trilogy. McCullers also adapted the classic kid book series "Curious George" for an upcoming Universal/Imagine animated film.

Bellisario, who hatched such series as "JAG" and "Quantum Leap," created "Magnum, P.I." with Glen Larson and set it on Oahu to take up the studio space that had been vacated by "Hawaii 5-0."

Tom Selleck became a star playing Thomas Magnum, a former Naval intelligence officer hired to head security at the estate of wealthy absentee owner Robin Masters. Magnum used the mansion as a base to work his own detective cases, employing the resources of the estate owner that included the signature red 308 GTS Ferrari. Magnum often clashed with estate caretaker Jonathan Higgins.

The series was edgy because of the attention paid to the character's tour of duty in Vietnam. The drama ran from 1980-88 on CBS.

Grazer lines up that project in what is one of his most prolific producing seasons. He produced the Coen Brothers pic "Intolerable Cruelty" starring George Clooney and Catherine Zeta-Jones; the Mike Myers starrer "Cat in the Hat"; and the Tommy Lee Jones/Cate Blanchett starrer "The Missing," which was directed by Grazer's partner Ron Howard. Grazer also produced "The Alamo" with Mark Johnson.

Date in print: Wed., Sep. 24, 2003, Los Angeles

I better finish my f'n treatment and hand it to them. I just can't see a redo. And to have it so tongue in cheek with the guy who co-wrote Austin Powers? It would just plain suck. Selleck and the original cast is still around and there were a lot of open things left in the last episode to fill a movie with.

If they want to redo a Bellisario project, just do Airwolf!

Also, I want to know what happened to the supposed Tom Clancy script he was doing for a Magnum movie?
Old 09-24-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this going to be a TV movie or a theater movie?

Well, if this goes to production, I hope they use the original cast because I can't picture anybody besides Tom Selleck playing that role.

RE: Airwolf. I used to love that show. And then when I caught some reruns a few years ago, I realized how crappy it was. Of course, it was nowhere near as crappy as Knight Rider was when I caught reruns of that, but it was still pretty lame. Now all I have to do is catch some reruns of Street Hawk and that'll complete the trifecta.

Old 09-25-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
This is interesting, because Selleck has stated that Clancy offered to write the script if Universal was willing to make the movie, and Universal's repsonse (this was a few years ago) was that NOBODY WANTED TO SEE a Magnum, PI movie!

Well, if Universal is out there listening...this BETTER feature Tom Selleck in the lead and this BETTER not be a spoof of the original show (ala Charlies Angels, Starsky & Hutch, etc.)! There are some SACRED things in this world and Tom Selleck AS Thomas Magnum is one of them!
Old 09-25-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Universal can count me as one of the oddballs that wants to see Tom Selleck as Magnum. Count me out if he's not in it. But I also want to see all the original cast members. Is Higgins still around? (I mean - I hope he's not passed on.) I think he is just as essential to making this work.
Old 09-25-03, 12:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Jason Biggs as Magnum
John Cleese as Higgins
Seann William Scott as Rick
Orlando Jones as T.C.

...and the voice of Tom Selleck as the voice of "Robin Masters"

Last edited by Groucho; 09-25-03 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-25-03, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by rennervision
Universal can count me as one of the oddballs that wants to see Tom Selleck as Magnum. Count me out if he's not in it. But I also want to see all the original cast members. Is Higgins still around? (I mean - I hope he's not passed on.) I think he is just as essential to making this work.
John Hillerman is alive and well and STILL claiming that he is NOT Robin Masters.

"Magnum...I demand that you come back immediately! Magnum!"

Could EVERYONE that sees this thread PLEASE throw off an e-mail or letter to Universal DEMANDING that this movie feature the original cast and not be some kind of "Spoof" with young actors and cameos from the TV stars?!

I want to see a SERIOUS Magnum movie with TOM SELLECK as Magnum!!! I don't want to see one of my favorite TV shows ruined on the big screen!

Last edited by Spooky; 09-25-03 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-25-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Glad to see there is interest in a Magnum Movie that is faithful and with the original cast. I really really need to dust off the treatment I did.
Old 09-26-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by immortal_zeus

RE: Airwolf. I used to love that show. And then when I caught some reruns a few years ago, I realized how crappy it was. Of course, it was nowhere near as crappy as Knight Rider was when I caught reruns of that, but it was still pretty lame. Now all I have to do is catch some reruns of Street Hawk and that'll complete the trifecta.
Oh yeah "Knight Rider" is kinda lame.

I caught some re-runs and that devilish mistress known as "nostalgia" has made that show out to be better than it actually was.

Magnum was top notch stuff. I wish A&E would play the re-runs again.
Old 09-26-03, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
Jason Biggs as Magnum
John Cleese as Higgins
Seann William Scott as Rick
Orlando Jones as T.C.

...and the voice of Tom Selleck as the voice of "Robin Masters"
I thought I heard Reese Witherspoon was going to play Icepick.
Old 01-06-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

F'n blasphemy

http://starbulletin.com/2003/12/31/features/ryan.html

Clooney gets
Magnum role

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hollywood industry folks are saying Tom Selleck is definitely out and George Clooney is in for the title role in the Universal/Imagine Entertainment movie version of "Magnum, P.I.," slated for a spring production start. Sources say there are as many as four main story lines in the uncompleted script. In one, the lead character, Thomas Magnum, is dead (gasp!), and his younger P.I. brother, played by Clooney, returns here from Los Angeles to get justice for the death. Hawaii will only be used sparingly in the film, just enough to finish off the old "Magnum" story lines, sources said. Producers Don Bellasario and Brian Grazer will base the film franchise in Los Angeles where they believe the films will have better "production potential" in sequels and an easier way of disposing of the other "Magnum" series' characters without a lot of back-story clutter.

Producers believe Selleck, at 58, is too old to attract the all-important 18- to 39-year-old moviegoing demographic. If Clooney does portray Magnum's younger brother (who was never mentioned in the TV series), there will be room for a Selleck cameo.

The other popular story line has Clooney playing Thomas Magnum himself, which means no Selleck or the original co-starring cast of John Hillerman, Larry Manetti and Roger E. Mosley, since they'll be too old to appear opposite Clooney. Identities of those being considered for the updated characters of Jonathan Quayle Higgins III, Orville "Rick" Wright and Theodore "TC" Calvin are, according to a source, "top secret."

The studios really want to keep all this information under wraps to prevent any more of the Larry Manetti-like outbursts that hit the national media, following leaks about the film two months ago. Manetti said that casting "Magnum" without Selleck is "an outrage" and "stupid." But Clooney also is being very sensitive to not wanting to offend Selleck, whom he considers a friend.

The film reportedly will feature the new $800,000 Ferrari Enzo sports car in place of Magnum's classic Ferrari 308 GTS.

Clooney reportedly has signed a three-film "Magnum" picture deal.

If the film is shot this spring, there's a chance for a Christmas release; otherwise, count on summer 2005.

Clooney's name has also been mentioned for the Steve McGarrett role in the long-awaited "Hawaii Five-0" film, though sources say Mel Gibson is at the top of producer George Litto's list.
Old 01-07-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hell.Selleck is Magnum P.I.

I don't give a rats ass about his younger brother..or if Clooney becomes "Thomas Magnum" - count me out
Old 01-07-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Boo. I like Clooney, but heck, Selleck still looks like he's in great physical condition for his age. He could still pull it off.
Old 01-24-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jan. 24, 2006

Thurber pulls Uni's trigger to 'Magnum'

By Borys Kit
Rawson Marshall Thurber has signed on to write and direct the big-screen adaptation of "Magnum P.I." for Universal Pictures. Brian Grazer will produce the feature via his Imagine Entertainment banner.

"Magnum P.I.," the 1980-88 CBS series created by Glen Larson and Don Bellisario, followed the adventures of Thomas Magnum, a Navy intelligence officer-turned-private investigator hired by wealthy author and playboy Robin Masters to oversee security on the latter's massive Hawaii estate. Magnum lived in Masters' guest house and drove his Ferrari (the car would become one of the show's signatures), much to the chagrin of Jonathan Higgins III, a proper Englishman who ran the estate. Magnum also continued to take on cases in which he was aided and abetted by his Vietnam vet buddies, notably helicopter pilot T.C. and club manager Rick.

The series made Tom Selleck a star and put Ferrari posters on the walls of teenage boys' bedrooms.

Thurber, who wrote and directed the hit comedy "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story," is not making a spoof but rather something akin to the tone of the show, which mixed humor and danger. The story line for the film sees Magnum, with the help of his former military pals, searching for a missing buddy.

Larson and Bellisario will executive produce the film.

Universal president of production Donna Langley and director of development Erik Baiers will oversee the project for the studio. Senior vp motion pictures Kim Roth will oversee the project for Imagine.

Before making his feature debut on "Dodgeball," CAA-repped Thurber directed the popular "Terry Tate: Office Linebacker" ads for Reebok.
------------------------

Find-a-buddy movie for Magnum? Sounds more suited to be a two part episode. It doesn't scream MOVIE. I hope all the regulars come back and that this is what Grazer and Universal are pushing for.