Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Opinions: Happy Family (NBC; w/ John Larroquette and Christine Baranski)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-03, 08:41 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I started watching this about five minutes late, but I caught on really quickly.

Peter and Annie Brennan (Larroquette and Baranski) are anxious to begin celebrating life as a couple again now that their children are all grown up, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. Their youngest (and definitely, not brightest), Tim (Tyler Francavilla, "Boston Public"), should be graduating from junior college, but instead he's moving in with the "older" woman-next-door -- his mom's thirty-something tennis partner, Maggie (Susan Gibney, NBC's "Crossing Jordan"). Their eldest, Todd (Jeff Davis, "The Downer Channel"), is the apple of his dad's eye and is engaged to a great girl - and having an affair with yet another great girl. And daughter Sara (Melanie Paxson, "Behind the Camera: The Unauthorized Story of 'Three's Company'"), the over-achieving family success story, is in the midst of a major emotional meltdown.
My wife and I laughed out loud several times and enjoyed the episode.

The cast blends well and actually looks like a family. I'm giving this show a shot, lets see what happens.That kid (Tim) is a complete goof.

The scene with Mom and Dad and son and neighbor sitting in the room not looking at each other in the uncomfortable silence was so funny. Baranski's expressions were priceless.

I haven't seen John since The 10th Kingdom, but he looks like he still might have something left to give the sitcom world.

for the pilot.

I missed Whoppi on purpose...
Old 09-09-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was pretty funny. Plus it had that little hottie Melanie Paxson in it. Now I don't have to wait for the Gladware commercials to see her.
Old 09-09-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
It was okay - I'll give it a couple of weeks. Laroquette and Baranski know what they are doing when it comes to delivering lines. And there timing is pretty good together.
Old 09-09-03, 10:37 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought it was funny. Laroquette and Baranski were very good.

I'll be watching again.
Old 09-10-03, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Laroquette and Baranski are great in anything they do, so they might actually be able to lift this. Not a horrible episode, but based on that one episode, I am not compelled to watch it again. However, I will give it another couple of episodes to see how it goes...
Old 09-10-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not bad. I'll tune in again if nothing else of interest is on. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to watch it, though.
Old 09-23-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sad to say that after two episodes, I actually like this show. Larroquette and Baranski are perfect together, and the kids are pretty good as well. I also can't pass up any chance to see Susan Gibney either. I'll keep watching for a while.

das
Old 09-23-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Opinions: Happy Family (NBC; w/ John Larroquette and Christine Baranski)

Well, it's no "Whoopi", but I like it okay so far.

However, I keep expecting the daughter to say, "John Larroquette is hopping mad, he doesn't use Glad!"

Honk!
Old 09-23-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I caught the two episodes that NBC aired over the weekend (repeats of the first two I think) and I don't think the show is great, but its pleasant enough....and I can't be the only person who loves Melanie Paxson.

I was dissapointed that Hamish Linklater had been recast with another actor as the "successful" son.

I caught little bits tonight during the Gilmore Girls commercials and found myself laughing louder than I had during the previous two I had seen. But I was taping "I'm With Her"....ahh conflicts. I guess which ever doesn't get canceled will get my VCR's undivided attention.
Old 09-23-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure if you've seen your tape of I'm With Her yet, but I think you'll be safe. I love Teri Polo (even if she broke Dan's heart), but I think it was waaaay too sappy to make it. Maybe other episodes that don't focus on their meeting will be stronger, but it doesn't look good so far.

das