Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Desperado / El Mariachi (Special Editions) (1995): August 26?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw this in my STL account, and I was curious about it b/c I haven't heard anything else about it. Is it simply a repackaging in preparation for "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" or an actual SE treatment? Also, does the same studio own all three films? The reason I ask this is I've never seen any of them, and I don't wanna blind buy a set to find out taht a three-pack will be out following the third installment (assuming I enjoy the films at all).

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
DVDfile has had reviews up for them for a while now. They are basically repackagings of the originals, with little five minute pieces on Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

El Mariachi and Desparado each already have excellent commentaries and some bits on guerilla film making, so an eventual boxset might not have much more.
They are all three from Columbia Tristar.
Old 08-21-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've not seen either of these movies. Are they worth buying? The trailer for Once Upon a Time in Mexico has peaked my interest.
Old 08-21-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both films are GREAT works. I would highly suggest you watch them.
Old 08-22-03, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I agree that they're worth watching, but keep in mind that there are some continuity flaws between the 2 films.
Old 08-22-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Tom Banjo
I agree that they're worth watching, but keep in mind that there are some continuity flaws between the 2 films.
You're telling me--how about the fact that
Spoiler:
in the first film the mariachi loses his hand and ends up with a cybernetic one at the end. In Desperado he has his hand back with no explanation!
That minor gripe aside I love both movies and cannot wait for Once Upon A Time In Mexico. I highly reccomend them.
Old 08-22-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As I only have the very first Desperado DVD, I'll probably get these. If you already have the double feature disc, keep in mind that these are essentially the same, except now on seperate discs and with brand new transfers..
Old 08-22-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
DVD Talk has had reviews up even longer.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=7169
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=7168

"El Mariachi" actually has much stronger image quality than the original release (although it's still pretty low-rent), and the image quality of the new "Desperado" rivals that of the Superbit. Otherwise, there's nothing new to these "special editions" except a brief teaser for "Once Upon a Time in Mexico."
Old 08-22-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow...shows how poorly I've been following reviews lately. Thanks for the links, and also for the info. Maybe I'll just give them a rental initially in order to prepare for Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

Thanks again.
Old 08-22-03, 10:47 AM

Both films are fantastic. El Mariachi is an amazing piece of work, and Desperado was much, much better than expected (I haven't been much of a Bandaras fan). The extras are some of my favorites out of all the extras I've seen. The 10 minute films school on each movie is really interesting, and the commentaries are wall to wall information on tips and tricks to getting a movie shot cheaply, efficiently, and getting stuff that works very well.

From what I've read of reviews, the new El Mariachi transfer is a slight improvement, but it is also slightly more zoomed in. I haven't read about Desperado, but I'd imagine that one is a bit better than on the Double Feature (which is what I have). Getting the double feature disc from CH would be cheaper than renting the two films separately, and the only thing you'd miss is a slightly better transfer and a fluff piece for the new flick. DDD has the new editions in a 2 pack for $20, that’s not too bad either. If you are a fan of action films, and a fan of quality low budget films, then these two are guaranteed winners.

As for the inconsistencies, there seems to be a few but
Spoiler:
I don't remember him having a robotic hand in El Mariachi, that doesn't seem to fit the film either. I thought he was merely shot in the hand; he did not lose it. In Desperado he can no longer play the guitar well because of his wound, so it isn't as if the incident was forgotten entirely.
Old 08-22-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I wonder why the only way to get the English dubbed version of El Mariachi is through VHS? I was rather hoping the new special edition had both the Spanish and the English language tracks. I could watch either one, but I prefer to have both versions available.
Old 08-22-03, 12:40 PM

wait....Desperado is going to have a new video transfer on this re-release?
Maybe I should get rid of my current double feature release, and get this one. Good time to upgrade?
Old 08-22-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally posted by FreshOne
As for the inconsistencies, there seems to be a few but
Spoiler:
I don't remember him having a robotic hand in El Mariachi, that doesn't seem to fit the film either. I thought he was merely shot in the hand; he did not lose it. In Desperado he can no longer play the guitar well because of his wound, so it isn't as if the incident was forgotten entirely.
He must be thinking of EPISODE II:AOTC... El Mariachi did not lose his hand.
Old 08-22-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Am I the only one that wishes that El Mariachi was available on DVD fullscreen (gasp, heresy!). It was shot 16mm and Rodrieguez was expecting to sell the film direct to a Spanish language video company, so I doubt if he was composing the shots for a 1.85:1 or whatever theatrical ratio. He was assuming a direct to video release, so wouldn't he be using the whole 16mm frame? The currently available letterboxed DVD just looks too cramped to me. OK, Rant over.
Old 08-22-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by caiman
I've not seen either of these movies. Are they worth buying? The trailer for Once Upon a Time in Mexico has peaked my interest.
I saw El Mariachi in Spanish class a year or two ago (not dubbed, so that was good). Not that good of a film though, if you ask me.

Desperado was a good film with pretty sweet action sequences. . .

I'm probably the only one that doesn't think Once Upon a Time in Mexico looks that great from viewing the trailer.
Old 08-22-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll probably keep my double disc. Doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble/expense of a double upgrade.
Old 08-22-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll wait for the inevitable box set which will probably be next Spring. I love the first 2 movies, but have yet to pick them up on DVD.
Old 08-22-03, 08:31 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I remember reading in "Rebel Without a Crew" that El Mariachi was shot with the intention of it being straight-to-video and full screen. So any widescreen version of it that you see is missing picture that the director intended to capture. I don't remember Rodriguez ever indicating in his diary that he was that thrilled with the "big screen" (and now small screen) look of the film.
(I now see that someone already posted on this. We'll, he's right.)

And it wasn't a cybernetic hand at the end of Mariachi. It was a brace (or something of the like) to protect his hand. He wasn't turning into a Terminator.
Old 08-22-03, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
OK, good, I'm not the only one who thinks that way.
Old 08-22-03, 11:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

We should start a petition. A two person petition. (j/k)
Old 08-23-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
You all know I am very much the letterbox supporter, but I agree El Mariachi should be fullscreen. At the very least, they should allow Rodriguez to do a shot by shot reframing at 1.66 and 16x9 that transfer.
Old 08-23-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by rennervision
I wonder why the only way to get the English dubbed version of El Mariachi is through VHS?
The English dub was also included on the laserdisc edition.
Old 08-23-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Josh Z
The English dub was also included on the laserdisc edition.
I wish you wouldnt have said that. All we need is another reason to hear "Well its really unfortunate that (instert dvd title) doesnt have the (random special feature) that the laserdisc has (hugs his laserdisc copy). Reason #1124124891258 to have a laserdisc player."
Old 08-23-03, 02:05 PM

Will the new special edition of this double feature DVD have a new video transfer? Trying to find a reason to upgrade, ...if there is one. I have the older 1 disk double feature title.