Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How has the Price Is Right survived this long?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure that being a ratings winner in it's time slot has something to do with it, but we've seen countless times in the past where networks have gotten rid of well rated shows in hopes to pull in a new demographic, and I am sure there have been other well rated game shows in the past that got chopped from the schedules while still doing faily well or really well.

So, how has the Price is Right survived? Is there something more to than just being a ratings winner? I am figuring there must be, since it has survived all this time when other day time network game shows have all come and gone with no more returning, yet old Bob Barker still hangs in there. What's the show's secret?
Old 08-03-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Because of one important fact. Old people and young people both like the show. On any given airing, you'll see college kids and grannies.
Old 08-03-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's the basics.. any schmoe can be on it and on any given day there is a line going around the block to get into the taping of the show. Old folks like it and as deftones stated.. the young college crowd is always there. that's why it's still around.
Old 08-03-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The elderly are creatures of habit... this is why Jeopardy is still getting good ratings.
Old 08-03-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLINKO
Old 08-03-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know these points already, that's why the show is a ratings darling. But how did it survive when networks were cancelling day time game shows left and right? Granted, most of the "main stays" are still popular in syndication, but you won't see them on network TV, unless they are syndicated to that station and aired in an afternoon slot open for local programming. There have certainly been other game shows that yound and old liked and average people could get on there, but that didn't save them. Does Bob Barker have a certain political clout at CBS? Does he sacrifice young virgins to Satan to keep his show on?
Old 08-03-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait till Barker bites it. Then the ship will sink.
Old 08-03-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Calhoun, you answered your own question. The reason why the price is right survived the day time game show massacre is because the simple reason that it does good in ratings. Just cause a network wants to rid themselves of comdies, it doesn't mean they would cancel friends if it's still pulling in the numbers.
Old 08-03-03, 10:30 PM
Banned

Man bob barker is so old. Didnt he get in trouble for trying to seduce one of those sexy blonde ladies??
Old 08-03-03, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Mopower
It's that simple.
Old 08-04-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by Mopower
Kind of like Castro and Cuba.
Old 08-04-03, 09:10 AM

you guys ever wonder if any of those dudes that wear military uniforms aren't in the military, and are just regular guys trying to get on the show?
Old 08-04-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Barker's Beauties
Barker himself
Lots of games
Ability to 'play' along while watching
Old 08-04-03, 01:40 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by namrufmot
PLINKO
Heh ... and One Away and Three Stikes ... oh, and the putting game. Bob's never happier than when he's showing some frau how to putt. Ahem.
Old 08-04-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by G. Noel Gross
Heh ... and One Away and Three Stikes ... oh, and the putting game. Bob's never happier than when he's showing some frau how to putt. Ahem.

They totally changed 3 Strikes to make it almost impossible to win. Before if you picked a strike, that disc was discarded. However, now Bob puts the strike back into the bag so there are always 3 strikes in the bag at one time.
Old 08-04-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
They totally changed 3 Strikes to make it almost impossible to win. Before if you picked a strike, that disc was discarded. However, now Bob puts the strike back into the bag so there are always 3 strikes in the bag at one time.
Yikes! My thread has been hijacked!

Actually Three Strikes is supposed to be easier to win now because they only have one strike in the bag, which is why they put it back in instead of tossing it.

The game that I think is hardest to win is the "one away" game. Hardly anybody wins that game.
Old 08-04-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by calhoun07

Actually Three Strikes is supposed to be easier to win now because they only have one strike in the bag, which is why they put it back in instead of tossing it.

The game that I think is hardest to win is the "one away" game. Hardly anybody wins that game.

Okay - I thought that they still had 3 in there.
Old 08-04-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Actually, the hardest game to win is "the Golden Road"

Starting with a small product (eg $396), Determine which of the three digits of its price belongs in the missing spot on a 4-digit prize. If correct, price of 4-digit prize is used the same way with a 5-digit prize. If correct there, player goes to the end of the Golden Road, where a luxury car, yacht, Winnebago, etc. awaits.
I think I have only seen this game won once in my years of watching.
Old 08-04-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Surprisingly, i've enjoyed the show since i was little, simply because it was the only thing on and its fun watching people win cars
Old 08-04-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by chowderhead

Starting with a small product (eg $396), Determine which of the three digits of its price belongs in the missing spot on a 4-digit prize. If correct, price of 4-digit prize is used the same way with a 5-digit prize. If correct there, player goes to the end of the Golden Road, where a luxury car, yacht, Winnebago, etc. awaits.

I agree - of course it is always the most lucrative game. I've seen it won a number of times but I would say the success rate is basically around 8%. Assuming the first prize is a gimmie to win (only 2 numbers to choose from and it is usually a big spread which makes the choice obvious), then you have a 33% chance of getting the 4-figure prize correct and then a 25% chance of getting the 5-figure prize correct.
Old 08-04-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
I have problems watching Bob fondle the bag.

Old 08-04-03, 04:29 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by chowderhead

I saw a Golden Road once where the contestant knew the price of the item before Barker revealed it. I think he won it all, but he may have tripped up on the last one. He had watched a lot of PIR and memorized the prices. But the big ones don't come up often enough to really be memorizable.
Old 08-04-03, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Red Dog
I agree - of course it is always the most lucrative game. I've seen it won a number of times but I would say the success rate is basically around 8%. Assuming the first prize is a gimmie to win (only 2 numbers to choose from and it is usually a big spread which makes the choice obvious), then you have a 33% chance of getting the 4-figure prize correct and then a 25% chance of getting the 5-figure prize correct.
Actually, they never use the same number twice, so the number you picked in the previous price is never the correct number in the next price!

And you all know the secret for 10 Chances (use 2 of these 3 numbers to write the correct price, etc...) I hope...it seems 1/2 the contestants have no idea about this one...

FS
Old 08-04-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by FlashStash

And you all know the secret for 10 Chances (use 2 of these 3 numbers to write the correct price, etc...) I hope...it seems 1/2 the contestants have no idea about this one...

FS
Half the times your yelling at the tv because they have no idea what they are doing.
Old 08-04-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love it when the old ladies win something like a dune buggy or motorcycle.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.