TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New cast member on Angel

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New cast member on Angel

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=893

Needless to say, there are casting spoilers below, as well as some mild story spoilers.

Spoiler:
Sarah Thompson Joins Angel Cast

Sarah Thompson (Boston Public) has come on board to star in The WB's Angel as the series prepares for the start of its fifth season. She is set to appear in at least six episodes of the WB drama playing Eve, the new assistant to Angel (David Boreanaz) at Wolfram & Hart.

The casting comes in the wake of the departures of Charisma Carpenter and Vincent Kartheiser as series regulars. James Marsters, who played Spike on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, had already been set to join Angel.

Executive producer Jeffrey Bell tells Variety Thompson's character "will be an anomaly at Wolfram & Hart in that she seems like a normal and well-adjusted young lady."

"She seems sort of too normal," Bell said, adding Thompson's character "may or may not be a love interest for Angel. The goal is to have her be a consistent force in our characters' lives."

The entire dynamic of the show will shift this season as the series moves away from its creepy hotel setting and into a more workplace-focused atmosphere at the evil law firm of Wolfram & Hart.

"Visually the show's going to look very different than it has before," Bell adds. "And we're trying to tell stories that are much more stand-alone and yet still resonate in the same way (with loyal fans)."

In addition to Marsters and Thompson, Bell said Mercedes McNab, who has made guest appearances on both "Buffy" and Angel, will also be a recurring player this season.

"She has a history with Spike, and she brings a great sense of humor to the show," he said.

Bell is also hoping to attract several "Buffy" alums to make appearances this season, assuming the proper plotlines can be constructed.

Last edited by Morf; 07-31-03 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-31-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Could be interesting. I don't watch the show that's mentioned that the actor is coming from, so I can't say I know that person. But, I'll wait and see.
Old 07-31-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate retooling. On Angel is seems to be a way of life, as it's been retooled pretty much every season so far (though not this dramatically...) we'll see, it could be a plus (like season 2) or a downer (mid season 3 until up to now...)
Old 08-01-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

hmmm. just hmmmm.
Old 08-01-03, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For those who don't know who

Spoiler:
Sarah Thompson
is, she played

Spoiler:
Dana Poole on Boston Public, she was the one who got Harry in hot water for some teacher student hanky-panky
Old 08-01-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Patman - never saw it so, I can't say I know the name. Good actor?
Old 08-01-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Spoiler:
she
acts too???

Old 08-01-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shoot, I liked
Spoiler:
the hotel. I hope it doesn't turn into a silly workplace drama
Old 08-01-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
She's eye candy.
Old 08-01-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 357 Likes on 231 Posts
Not sure I like the idea of more stand alone (monster of the week?) episodes. . .

tasha
Old 08-01-03, 03:22 PM

Not sure I like the idea of more stand alone (monster of the week?) episodes. . .
I think the season will eventually develop one giant arc. But they'll start out with standalone episodes to build a larger audience(and to appease the WB).
Old 08-01-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
A one season arc on Angel.....do they know how to build them so short over there??

Last thing we want is a two season arc that gets sawed in half with no warning....cause I've been down that road, and there are still a few shows on the WB I'd like to watch!
Old 08-02-03, 01:07 PM

A one season arc on Angel.....do they know how to build them so short over there??
If I recall, they originally planned a one season arc for the second year, but Julie Benz bailed to do the Glory Days pilot(which she was recast for anyway), so the writers had to come up with the whole Pylea 4-episode storyline to close out the season.

Regardless, they have to start limiting the arcs to no more than a single season since they were nearly cancelled this past spring. The last thing Mutant Enemy or any of the fans want is a Farscape scenario where the show ends with an unresolved cliffhanger.