Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney's Song of the South....???

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I saw this as a kid but do not remember a whole lot about the movie besides some of the characters and the popular song Zip a Dee Doo Dah. Is this movie worth watching today? Does it hold up like some of the older Disney classics?

Did a search on this and did not find much in the way of the movie itself. There were some bootleg discussions but nothing really on the movie itself. If there is a thread, I will be happy to delete this one.
Old 07-13-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the hell if I know, the only way to see it is if you got a boot, or own the japanese bootleg, if not, then you have to wait till disney gets their act together and releases it, since most probably haven't seen it.
Old 07-13-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
the hell if I know, the only way to see it is if you got a boot, or own the japanese bootleg, if not, then you have to wait till disney gets their act together and releases it, since most probably haven't seen it.

Very true.....I believe the concern is Disney will not release this title due to their fear of offending a certain race. That is what I have read and heard but I could not tell you any specific points in the film which are inappropriate. Heck....if a studio can release WC Field's films on dvd....I do not any problem with Song of the South. Maybe someone here knows the specifics???
Old 07-13-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not believe it will ever be released on DVD.

I heard somewhere that the movie may have been destoried by Disney, that may or may not be true.
Old 07-13-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
After hearing about it, I picked up a copy, and was underwhelmed. The animated parts were good and the only part that interested me.

BTW, SongoftheSouth.net had some news about a castmember at one of the Disney parks saying they might make an announcement this year for a DVD release (which is probably a RUMOR, so lets not get crazy).
Old 07-13-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It hasn't been destroyed; in fact, restoration work was done on it.

All in all, I think it's a pretty good movie, but not among the best live action Disney films or their animated films from the era. It is important as one of Disney's first films - but I think a lot of its reputation, both as an outstanding movie and as something extremely offensive, is greater than deserved.
Old 07-13-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I found it to be one of the better "live action" films Disney has done. I have always enjoyed the story of Briar (sp?) Rabbit; I remember having some Disney books as a kid, and used to always want to read that particular story, so that may have alot to do with the reason I enjoy it so much. I think the reason it may be underwhelming is the fact that it has such a reputation that it couldnt really live up to its "hype"?
Old 07-13-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We discussed this film in my Antebellum South class this semester, and the professor discussed the irony in Disney's pulling of the film and society's critical reaction towards it.

He says that he normally shows it during a full semester but didn't have time to do it this time around. According to him the black character in the film is really the only enlightened one and it is more of a film dealing with racist stereotypes but not actually racist. Also, he said the dialect used in the animated stories is just a recreation of the slave stories which are actually stories of slaves (the rabbit) outsmarting their masters (the other animals).

So, my question is why in the world is America as a whole so closed-minded in these situations? Why can't we appreciate works for what they are instead of reading modern interpretations into them for our own agendas?
Old 07-13-03, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
It's not "America", it's Disney. They'ld like this movie to dissapear, and they're doing their best to rewrite their history, as usual.