Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

"Beauty & The Beast" OOP Criterion Question?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-03, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had just bid on and won a 1st print, oop, Criterion of "Beauty & The Beast" over at Ebay.

I don't know much about the history of this oop dvd, could someone fill me in on it please, whoever may know about this dvd?

Somethings I want to know. Is this considered the 1st print, and the one out in stores now the 2nd print? Or is it one of those things like Criterion did w/ Seven Samurai? Are both of the Beauty's by Criterion the same exact material on each one? Does this dvd have any value to it? I won it for $48 including shipping. I just want to know if that's a fair price for this one? Also the one I won is not sealed. But in mint, to like new condition, according to the seller. Are there known bootlgs to this particular 1st print Beauty out there in circulation? I do my homework now, after a bad experience with a crooked seller on Ebay, who I gratefully got a refund from because of it being a boot. This seller I bought it off of has over 400 feedbacks, and they were all positive. No negs, or neutrals. So I had some trust in him in that sense. I was just wondering if there are any known ones out there, because I've never heard of any? This was a movie I've been looking for in this oop dvd for awhile on Ebay, and this is the first one I've seen in about 2 to 3 months, I believe on there?

I have a bunch of questions listed, and I apologise if there are alot. I just would like a little input about it from whoever may know something about this dvd? Thank you.
Old 06-25-03, 09:15 PM

First of all, although I own 75+ Criterion DVDs, I bought them for the film, not as an investment, so I can't speak to whether the initial release of Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast has any value for collectors.

This is one of only two DVDs that Criterion has re-released (the other is Truffaut's The 400 Blows). The new version, which came out in February, sports a high definition digital transfer of brilliantly restored film elements;a choice of Philip Glass opera soundtrack or the original; two commentary tracks, a documentary, and more. It has different cover artwork as well. Both the new and old version are designated Spine number 6.

I suspect that those who collect Criterions wouldn't feel they had a complete collection unless they owned both versions. I do know that the DVD you bought is not rare like the infamous Salo. I suspect that many people who double-dipped on this reissue got rid of the older version, so I think there must be quite a few in circulation.

Here are two links from the Criterion Collection forum that may give you additional info:

Beauty & the Beast thread
Thread about OOP Criterions

Hope this helps.
Old 06-25-03, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the info. This wasn't bought as an investment. I don't plan on selling it, as I to collect them for the movie itself. I guess it's more like a completist kind of thing? I also plan on picking up the other one as well. It sounds even better, and I'd imagine that some people did unload on the oop one now? Although I'm sure there's other's out there that would hold onto it, for the same reason's as I want to collect them, for a complete collection. I'll go check out those threads you put in our post also. Thank you for your help.
Old 06-25-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Giallofan
This wasn't bought as an investment.... [but] for the movie itself. I also plan on picking up the other one as well.
If you're just buying it for the movie itself, I must ask... why get both? If you're just interested in the movie, the 2nd release is significantly better in terms of picture quality.

Seems strange to buy the 1st (inferior) release for 2x more than the 2nd one costs, unless you are truely not buying it for the film, but rather for the 'collectibility factor'.
Old 06-25-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
The first release has that "Cinematic Eye" television program from that 70s that featured Cocteau. The new release doesn't have it.

On the other hand, the 2nd edition has a better transfer, two commentary tracks, and a Phillip Glass opera track. As good as it is, the "Cinematic Eye" program isn't worth the expense, especially in comparison with what you get in the new release.

It's all good. When it comes to Cocteau, it's always worth every penny.
Old 06-25-03, 10:37 PM

Yes, it is for the movie itself, but it is for the collectibilty factor as well. When i think about what you said, i suppose it is stupid to buy bought just for the movie, when i could have gotten the re-issued one for cheaper, and for a better quality, with more special features. But that's just how I am I guess? I do the same thing with the Euro-Cult movies I buy. I'll buy every damn version of a Dario Argento movie, such as Suspiria, that's put out around the world over. Why, I don't really know. I suppose it's just a thing with being a completist? Also some of these other versions may be different in terms of special features, and stuff like that? At times I'll unload some, but for the most part, I just keep them in my collection.
Old 06-25-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I kept my first copy of Beauty & the Beast for completion's sake. It has a different cover and I love Criterion's cover. I also kept my first release of The 400 Blows, mainly so that I had something sitting in the #5 spot as the re-release is part of a box set only. I admit that I am a Criterion completist and it is a sickness (for I purchased copies of The Rock and Armageddon and don't like those movies at all)....but as Criterion completists go, we all have different places where we draw lines.
For example, I don't have a desire to own the first pressing of Seven Samurai just for some restoration demo that was dropped from subsequent pressings......
BUT, I did keep my old versions of Beauty and the Beast and The 400 Blows?
Would I have purchased those old versions after the new ones came out if I hadn't already had them?
I don't know.......perhaps if I could them for about MSRP or not much more.

While there is no pressing reason to have the first release of Beauty and the Beast, it's probably worth it to you from a collecting point of view which you stated is probably your reason.
Old 06-25-03, 11:07 PM

Come to find out, although I did want this one for completist reasons, that I should have, or could have probably gotten this for alot cheaper if I would have waited a little longer. After surfing around the web, and going on a few other boards that I frequent, it seems this oop dvd would normally go for around $25 to $30. It's a bit of a disappointment that I found that out, but I'm glad I did. I'm fairly a newbie when it comes to the Criterion's, but not to other dvd's, and I just have to do a little more research next time before jumping into things head first.
Old 06-26-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got both... I actually won one of those fill-out-a-form contests at a local arthouse theater put on by a classical radio station. I don't listen to classical radio, but I like Criterion dvds. I couldn't believe it when I actually got it in the mail - I had got no announcement that I'd won. It was cool, weeeeeeeeee!