Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Latest "Shake-up" Regarding "24"...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The Latest "Shake-up" Regarding "24"...

Not sure if this has been seen or not...

Contains a sprinkle of spoilers from the past two seasons...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...u=/eo/20030619
---------------------------------------

24" Suffers Casualties

Thu Jun 19, 4:50 PM ET Add Entertainment - E! Online to My Yahoo!

By Lia Haberman

Actresses beware: Being asked to audition as Jack Bauer's love interest on 24 is TV's kiss of death.

For the second season in a row Kiefer Sutherland's leading lady will apparently be shown the door. Also likely joining Sarah Wynter, who played Kate Warner, on the unemployment line will be Penny Johnson Jerald, who played Sherry Palmer, ex-wife of the show's president. The two are not scheduled to return as series regulars for the third season after Fox declined to renew the actresses' contracts this week, E! Online's TV maven Kristin reports, citing sources close to the production.

(The real kicker: no news of Elisha Cuthbert (news)'s perennially imperiled character Kim Bauer getting the boot.)

Fox refused to confirm the shake-up "to maintain story line secrecy" but released a statement that offered a glimmer of hope for the actresses. "Whether or not an actor's option as a series regular is picked up doesn't necessarily determine future participation in the series--Xander Berkeley [CTU's George Mason] was a series regular but was killed off in episode 15," the network notes. "Reiko Aylesworth [CTU's Michelle Dessler] was never a series regular last year yet appeared in all 24 episodes of the show."

Also up in the air, the status of TV prez Dennis Haysbert (news), who appeared to be critically wounded by a biological assassination attempt at the close of the second season.

According to boob-tube guru Kristin, the actor pleaded ignorant when asked about his future during a panel discussion sponsored by Back Stage West at the Pacific Design Center in L.A. "Each script is like getting a report card: 'Did I pass? Did I pass?' That's the beauty of playing a character on 24. You just never know. My character was stabbed in the back so much this season I felt like a pincushion!"

Doing a lot of the stabbing was Haysbert's scheming onscreen wife Sherry, who wasn't expected to last past the first season. However, the former first lady managed to engineer a comeback even after she and the prez had separated, but it seems her underhanded ways have finally caught up to her.

Another matter of debate is the show's timeline. Conflicting reports suggest the third season will either start just a few hours after the second season left off (after the attack on Palmer) or not until some time in the future. Fox is maintaining a CTU-like silence on the upcoming plot points.

The only certainty is counterterrorist agent Sutherland, "who is slated to return as a series regular," said the statement from Fox.

Viewers were shocked at the close of the first season when producers killed off Jack Bauer's wife, Teri (played by Leslie Hope (news)), after a jam-packed day that saw her kidnapped and raped, shocked into amnesia, and believing her daughter had been killed in a fiery explosion.

Enter Wynter's character Kate, whose evil sister Marie (played by Laura Harris) put the blonde babe squarely in the middle of another terrorist plot and brought her in contact with Sutherland. But the only action those two saw was strictly in the line of duty. Maybe producers should consider pairing Bauer with man's best friend, because this G-man just doesn't have time to date, what with a nuclear bomb to detonate, a president to save and a war to stop.

THOUGHTS?
Old 06-22-03, 07:12 PM
mwj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope they don't wimp out. The President should die. Otherwise you are asking us to believe Mandy can blow up a plane on which she is a passenger, before it lands and survive, but not carry out a relatively simple assasination. I am sorry to see Sarah Wynter go. She is very attractive.
Old 06-22-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, i guess i can understand. if jack is running around trying to save everyone, a love interest doesn't do anything but kinda get in the way, unless she is one who can help things along. so far, we haven't seen much of that. it would be nice to keep a love interest but it would have to be logically written.
Old 06-22-03, 09:17 PM
Banned

Sutherland said Wynter was coming back, but oh well.
Old 06-22-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know President Palmer probably should die but I'm hoping he sticks around. He has consistantly been an amazing talent on the series and was a big draw for me these past couple seasons. Maybe they will do (as many have speculated) a story line involving Jack trying to find a cure to the biological agent or something like that.
Old 06-22-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the show is to have any value (still up for debate IMO), the characters need to be relevant to the story being told. This means different characters each season. I have no problems with any "shake-ups" just so long as they can put together a plot progression that doesn't result in eye-roll headaches. Just make a good show.

das
Old 06-22-03, 09:27 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I can see why they're not brininging Kate back. At this point the only way she could be in every episode would be a repeat of last year's story where she's in danger constantly or she has another relative that's also a terroist.

It would be hard for her in a show like this to be just the love interest every episode.
Old 06-22-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How about 24 hours of Jack just hunting down Mandy? I'd be there!
Old 06-22-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth MrX •<HR SIZE=1>I can see why they're not brininging Kate back. At this point the only way she could be in every episode would be a repeat of last year's story where she's in danger constantly or she has another relative that's also a terroist.<HR SIZE=1>

Or ... both. That's right. Not only is Kate being terrorized by a mountain lion, but her long-lost sister is really ... duh-duh-DUH ... Mandy.

das

P.S. Read this post quickly. I need to delete it before the writers see it and actually use it.
Old 06-23-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My own two cents....

* No more Kate. Please.
* Sherry Palmer should not appear at all.
* Some time will have to elapse. After all, Jack was last seen being loaded into an ambulance, and some of the stuff extended stretch believability.
* I would like to see President Palmer back.
* What I would like to see is some exchange as to why Jack isn't the head of CTU, including the smackdown regarding Jack's antics being not by the book.
* Please, a chapter stop in the S2 set so that we can skip over the "Previously on 24" part.
Old 06-23-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kimmy has gots to go too

..Unless of course they need more T&A for season3 then by all means keep her around in those skimpy little tank tops
Old 06-23-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Please, a chapter stop in the S2 set so that we can skip over the "Previously on 24" part.
I don't think you have anything to worry about if you're getting the Region 1 set. Fox doesn't include the "Previously on" intros on any of their TV box sets here.

Personally, I prefer to see them included(the R2 sets have them), but I can understand why fans of 24 dislike them since that show lends itself to marathon viewing sessions.
Old 06-23-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone ever said anything positive about the Kim Bauer character?

I mean her perils of Pauline antics were really boring and distracting.

The only way she should come back is if she is running around wearing Victoria's Secret lingerie(hell, even white bra and cotton panties) in all of her scenes.

I really think they should come up with a female character that is intelligent, strong, interesting, and GOOD.

All the most interesting female characters are the villians.

Do they have any female writers on the show?

If, not, maybe it's time they did.
Old 06-23-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish they hadn't have killed off that Middle Eastern special agent guy, Yusef. I really liked him and I thought he was really handsome too. I would have liked to see a whole show about him!
Old 06-23-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jadzia
I wish they hadn't have killed off that Middle Eastern special agent guy, Yusef. I really liked him and I thought he was really handsome too. I would have liked to see a whole show about him!
This guy's real name is Donnie Keshawarz. Fox was too cheap to spring for a real middle eastern actor? They had to spring for a fake one?
Old 06-23-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
I really do want Palmer to come back since Haysbert's acting has been awesome for two seasons. Really now, if they have to get rid of someone why can't it be Kim? Smokedragon - I dont' think anyone has anythign good to say about her character which is nothing against the actress. We'll all just have to wait until Sept/Oct to see what the writers come up with.
Old 06-23-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by huzefa
This guy's real name is Donnie Keshawarz. Fox was too cheap to spring for a real middle eastern actor? They had to spring for a fake one?
Actually, "Keshawarz" is a Middle Eastern name. He probably uses a slight variant on his first name, to make it sound more American. A lot of my Indian friends do that.
Old 06-23-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Based on what I've heard, the third season will pick up at least a few hours, if not a few days after the end of the second one. That would make sense, and hopefully give Jack and President Palmer some time to recover (if the president even does recover). Should be interesting to see who will be returning. My guess is that Tony and Michelle will definitely be back, as well as VP Prescott. Also we may see some more people from the first season.
Old 06-23-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Achtung
Actually, "Keshawarz" is a Middle Eastern name. He probably uses a slight variant on his first name, to make it sound more American. A lot of my Indian friends do that.
I never heard a middle eastern name like Keshawarz (unless you're talking jewish), and I lived in the mid-east for a decade.
Old 06-23-03, 05:58 PM

If they traded in Sarah Wynter to get Sarah Clarke back as a regular, areacode212 would be a happy man. Also, I'm sorry to see PJJ go, but if Palmer is indeed a dead prez, she really has no reason to stick around.
Old 06-23-03, 06:36 PM

Looks like they're going with a
Spoiler:
Latin American drug cartel scenario
for next season:

(from FilmJerk)

Spoiler:

Details on the Third Season of “24” Emerge
Written 06-22-2003 by ChrisFaile

Updated on June 23 with Chase Exen info. The end of the second season of “24” found President Palmer laying on the ground, gasping for air after an attempt on his life. Where does the show go from here? Does Palmer live to see hear the ticking clock once again? Is Jack Bauer in better shape than when we last saw him? When exactly does the season start its new 24-hour timeline? We have no idea as to any of this, but let’s throw some fuel on the fire with three new characters that will have major recurring roles in the new season, according to FilmJerk.com sources close to the production .

In the casting notes, the casting directors explain that “Our scripts are just now being written so we don’t have information on the number of episodes these roles will be. Just remember how our show works— most of the people who had major recurring roles last season did about half the season or more.”

Among the roles that producers are looking to fill are:

Ramon Salazar: A Hispanic man, he is in his mid-30s to mid-40s and head of a major narco-terroist organization. He is described as “smart, sharp and ruthless.” To this writer, David Zayas (who played Enrique Morales in four seasons of “Oz”) comes immediately to mind as having both the presence and the ability to fill this role.

Hector Moya: Also Hispanic, he is of the same age as Salazar and also a drug baron. He heads up the organization’s South American operations and is described as an “elegant gangster.”

Claudia: In her mid- to late-20s, she is Hector’s girlfriend. The casting notes say they are looking for a Latina, but they’re saying she South American (perhaps a plot point?). She is described as “very sexy, but smart and nobody’s fool.”

Producers are also going to be giving Bauer a new partner by the name of Chase Exen. Slated to be a series regular, he is in his late 20s or early 30s. A field ops agent for CTU, he is described as a "charismatic, physical and straight-ahead guy."

Now, let’s speculate on what the recurring characters might mean to the plot: In the last episode, a man named Trepkos phones Max with news that Kingsley, seemingly one of the leaders behind the nuclear threat, has been killed and that war with the three countries was not going to happen. Trepkos allows Max to call an audible, which was to put Mandy (seen in the first three episodes of the first season) in play, passing on a perhaps-lethal biological agent to Palmer. Seeing as how producers have said the third season ties into the second, it seems that the oil conspiracy trail might also include South American drug-runners. But how would they benefit from a war and where does Max and Trepkos fit into all of this? Or is it possible that viewers have been misled to believe that the third season is not a brand new case for Jack Bauer?

Intriguing. “24” comes roaring back to its 9 p.m. Tuesday timeslot in November.

The Scorecard
Executive Producers: Joel Surnow, Bob Cochran, Howard Gordon and Brian Grazer
Director: Jon Cassar
Casting Directors: Debi Manwiller and Peggy Kennedy
Start Date: July 17
Production Company: Imagine Entertainment/20th Century Fox
Network: Fox

Old 06-23-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Don't know how reliable the above info is...

Anyways, more confirmation on Kate and Sherry. This is from TV Guide Online:

TICK TOCK...: Time's up for two stars of 24. Penny Johnson Jerald and Sarah Wynter — whose respective roles as Sherry Palmer and Kate Warner were pivotal last season — will not be returning as series regulars for Day Three this fall, TV Guide Online has learned. A Fox spokesman refused to confirm the demotions, but did caution that "it would be a mistake to infer from an actor's contract status what their participation in the show next year will be. For example, Xander Berkeley (George Mason) was hired as a series regular last year but his character was killed off in episode 15.
Old 06-23-03, 11:18 PM

How about a season where Jack steals all of Mandy's clothes and she spends the next 24 hours trying to find them.
Old 06-24-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think a good pick for Hector Moya would be the guy who played the lead role in the Kingpin miniseries.
Old 06-24-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i am not too sure if
Spoiler:
jack with a partner, will be too good. will that get in the way of his dying and a$$ kicking?