Reload this Page >

Buffy Season 4 DVD question *SPOILERS*

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-20-03, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HERE BE ***SPOILERS*****

I watched Buffy season 4 when it aired, but I'm watching it again here on DVD. I just watched "Pangs" last night (the one in which the gang battles the spirits of a Shumash (sp?) tribe and Xander gets syphyllis). Someone, can't remember who now, says that Spike can barely even hit people because of the chip.

Yet in the previous episode, "The Initiative," Spike beats on two doctors at the Initiative and throws Willow around, though he can't bite her.

Why can he hit those people. but as we see later on, he can't even hit humans without the pain. Is this just one of those inconsistencies, or is there an explanation?
Old 06-20-03, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess he could throw Willow around cause he wasn't doing any real harm to her. Did he beat up the doctors or just knock them out of the way?

I need to rewatch season 4 soon.
Old 06-20-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you watch the scene with the doctors closely, he hits one of them and winces in pain. The rest of the time, he's only throwing them around which I guess doesn't hurt(or at least not as much). Doug Petrie's commentary addresses this in case you haven't listened to it yet.
Old 06-20-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spike does wince in pain as Doughboy stated. It is definitely underplayed in that scenario since this would be the 1st time that both Spike and the viewer would recoginize the effects of the chip/that something has been done to "alter" Spike.

As far as the commentary goes if you have not see Buffy all the way through, be cautious of the commentaries as they tend to be laced with spoilers for later seasons. BEWARE!
Old 06-20-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Well, Spike didn't shove Willow particularly hard. Maybe that wouldn't've activated the chip, since he wasn't intending to actually do her physical harm with that act.

That was an extremely disturbing scene, IMO. When he cranked the music and threw her on the bed, it looked like he was getting ready to rape her. Which is all well and good, but what really got me was the little "impotence" thing they did, and Willow was wondering if he couldn't bite her because she wasn't attractive. Considering the rape context that it preceded, I don't think the joke came off quite like it should've. Pretty cringe-inducing.

Spike's chip works in weird ways. Sometimes it will give him pain AFTER he acts -- like when he shoved the guy at The Bronze in "Who Are You" -- and other times it will pain him BEFORE he acts, like when he was going to clock Xander with the pipe wrench.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 06-20-03 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-24-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Joss Whedon actually addressed this on the Bronze board. From what I remember, he admits that they screwed up and that he was really pissed when he saw the episode. He said there was no time to re-shoot.

There used to be a web page that archived all the VIP posts (posts from the writers of the episodes ) from the Bronze. I don't have the link anymore, but if your interested you might want to check out the Bronze Beta board. Someone there probably has a link.

http://www.bronzebeta.com