Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

VULGAR- Seriously, what a terrific movie!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a long time Askew fan, I've been a big fan of Kevin Smith and company since Clerks was in theatres. So naturally, I"ve caught everyone of his films in the first week of release in my area(which happens to be Jersey, so there's ample opportunity for that). Anyway, I had friends who worked on Vulgar, and I thought the concept was priceless(basically, following the fall and rise of a clown who gets raped) as black comedy. After being scared off by the most savage reviews I ever read, I decided to trust my gut and see for myself when I found it for 10 bucks in the used bin at a local shop. Driving home, I was questioning the call, already mapping out how I was going to dump this film. The long and the short of it is, I went into the film with VERY low expectations. But I"m pleased to report I couldn't have been more wrong!

Vulgar is sensational! And I"m not just reserving the word hilarious, which is it in a painfully dark way like few American films have reached for in the last 15 years, studio or independent. There are some real deal dramatic notes struck, and Brian O'Halloran(Dante Hicks from Clerks) delivers a very moving performance amongst the darkness, and it's integrity like his that makes this so special. It's obvious this could have been a very jokey film given the subject matter, but everyone plays it straight, and it really pays off.

Now, it's not an all timer, but I just wanted to offer a PSA for anyone on the fence on this film. The violation of the clown is not necessarily overdone or indulgent, but I imagine there would be a strong visceral reaction were a viewer unprepared for they were about to see. I've been reading reviews online, and, like is said in the commentary, reviewers in many cases(not all for sure) have confused their reaction with the central action of this film with their reaction to the piece as a whole. If you are able to separate them, and I see no reason why an adult with a slightly twisted sense of humor would have that problem, I found it to be one of the top few View Askew movies. I'd watch this over Dogma, Mallrats and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back anyday.

Granted, this is not for everyone, and most assurdly not for the kiddies(the "unrated" theatrical version, the one to get since it has extras, is borderline NC-17), but if you did consider this and got scared off by the reviews, give it a shot, I was very pleasantly suprised by it.
Old 06-14-03, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched Vulgar with an open mind, I didn't know very much about it before viewed the film. I have to say I can usually find something in any film I can appreciate, but Vulgar is one of the worst films I have ever seen.
Old 06-14-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw it with a packed thater of View Askew Fans at Kevin Smith's Vulgarthon Film Festival.

It's not bad, but certainly not great. Bryan Johnson did mighty well for never having made a film before, though.
Old 06-14-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
You must be joking.
Old 06-14-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, Kevin Smith said "If you like a movie about clown rape, Vulgar works."

I wasn't too exhuberant after watching this film. Seemed like one of Kevin's friends was trying too hard to copy his style of filmmaking: write a plot seemingly out of left field, use low budget production values, and try to make the audience like it.
Old 06-14-03, 04:55 PM

hahaha, I laughed so hard when I read the title to this thread....good one dude.....ohhhhhh, you're serious....