Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Any new Madden news?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Any new Madden news?

I saw some stuff over at Maddenmania.com and they are saying that Madden and NCAA will both be online for PS2, but neither will be XBox Live compatable. WTF?! Why would EA overlook the most advanced paltform and the largest non-pc online gamer base? I hope that this is just speculation and that EA is wiser than this.
Anyone see any other news on this title?
Old 04-25-03, 12:20 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe EA and Sony have a deal?
Old 04-25-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
From what I heard, Microsoft charges the developer more money if you want to use their online capabilities. You also have to use Microsoft's servers.

Sony on the other hand does not charge anything to the developer and lets them control their own game online.
Old 04-25-03, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the latest EGM:

--The PS2 version will support voice chat using the SOCOM headset
--The GC version will feature some sort of GC-GBA connectivity
--All versions will feature a new Owner Mode and something called Playmaker Control
Old 04-25-03, 01:47 PM
Banned

EA doesn't like Microsoft's online plan at all.
Old 04-25-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, EA doesn't support Microsoft's online structure, so you won't see any EA games go online for Xbox. I think Activision was also in the same boat, but Return to Castle Wolfenstein is being released by them with Xbox Live support.

So far the only companies I've seen use Xbox Live that isn't Microsoft is Capcom, Infogrames/Atari, Ubi Soft, Sega, and recently Lucasarts and soon to be Rockstar.
Old 04-25-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well this could be the first year I skip Madden. I have had every single Madden on one system or another and if Sega makes better improvments than the arcade attrocity that is Madden I am gone. If you read the Maddenmania forum, everyone wishes for Sega items incorporated into maddne, but EA seems to not listen to its customers. At lesat Sega pays some attention to its customers.
I could play this on my PS2 live, but I am not impressed with this years live game.
Old 04-25-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I played Sega NFL 2K3 and did not like it nearly as much as Madden. The ESPN look was kind of cool, but Madden seemed more intuitive in its gameplay. Maybe I've just been playing Madden all these years so I'm accustomed to it.
Old 04-25-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I kinda feel the same way Chris, except I find Sega's AI a lot more realistic. And the player ratings actually mean something. I like the overall look and feel of Madden better, but it is getting to arcadey for me. I have to mess with sliders to give it a more realistic feel. And I really want to do online franchising, but I doubt this new Madden will accomodate this.
Old 04-26-03, 08:57 PM

Some of these publishers should try for GC Online capabilities. The way I see things is that it won't be successful if no one is supporting it.
Old 04-27-03, 10:59 AM

I saw the ad on TV for Madden 2004. Does anyone know what new features if any it will have?
Old 04-27-03, 01:23 PM
Banned

I love Madden, but I love EA's NCAA game better. I personally don't see any real reason two own both.
Old 04-28-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They had about 6 great new ads for Madden 2k4 during the NFL draft this weekend. All 4 had a "rook" introducing himself and his stats and then Ray Lewis would show up to torment him. He had Carson Palmer doing push ups while using him for a leg rest; Charlie Rodgers was singing his name and stats while Lewis threw footballs at him; Terell Suggs talked about his sacks and Lewis introduced him to his sacks of dirty clothes, etc. They were all rather enjoyable commercials.
Old 04-28-03, 10:26 AM

I love Madden, but I love EA's NCAA game better. I personally don't see any real reason two own both.

I don't have both, but a friend of mine does. He says you can draft rookies from the NCAA game to your pro teams. Sounds kinda cool.
Old 04-28-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Plus NCAA and Madden are two different games. College the field is much wider and the game is much faster. Plus the play calling is completely different, there are different formations, plus off season differences, plus you can draft your rookies from NCAA.
All of this is also covered by Sega, and if Sega has online franchising, including free agents and trades, this will be the deciding factor. I may check out Madden for the PC if it has a full online franchise mode.
Old 04-30-03, 11:23 AM

Taken from the description for the PC version at store.ea.com...I would imagine that all versions would have everything below except for online play which is PS2 and PC specific.

New Player Control - Make pre-snap adjustments to your receiver routes, direct receiver routes during a scramble, direct blocking down field during a run, or read and react to the offense to deliver a crushing tackle.

Enhanced EA SPORTS™ Online - Connect with opponents close to your skill level using Quick Match, or access EA SPORTS Online messaging to communicate with your buddies in all EA SPORTS PlayStation® 2 online games. New EA SPORTS Fair Play ranking system eliminates online cheating and only rewards players who complete full games. Compete in the all-new Online Tournament mode and chat in-game with EA SPORTS Talk.

New Owner Mode - Hire your own staff, set your team's ticket and concession prices, and more. Build your own stadium with millions of possible stadium with millions of possible stadium combinations including various luxury boxes, scoreboards, tunnel entrances, and premium seating locations. Reward key players with signing bonuses and boost player attributes by participating in Mini-Camp drills.

All-New Game Presentation - Now you will never leave the playing field. Keep your players on the field during the play-calling screen. Watch all the highlights in split-screen replay and revel in new player accuracy details like dreadlocks, tattoo replicas, and four new helmets styles.

Most Realistic NFL Playbooks Ever! - Tons of new trick plays, multiple formation variations, and the deepest NFL playbooks from all 32 officially licensed Coaches Club Head Coaches and NFLCA licensed Assistant Coaches.

New Specialty Animations and Game Enhancements - Including new QB scramble transitions to improve throwing on the run, stumbles, bone-crushing open field blocks, whirlwind defensive reaction moves, sideline wrap tackles, and out of bounds pushes. Change your personnel at the play-calling screen to create match-ups in your favor in any offensive formation.

New Video Tutorials - Presented by Al Michaels and Melissa Stark, these tutorials make the game even more friendly to new gamers. Both basic and advanced topics are covered.

New Madden Moments and EA SPORTS™ Bio - Re-live or change the outcome of the greatest NFL games of all-time. Track your most memorable accomplishments across all EA SPORTS™ games, and unlock special rewards by playing multiple titles including NCAA® Football 2004, NBA Live 2004, NASCAR Thunder™ 2004, and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR®.
Old 04-30-03, 02:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Face/Off
I have been an NCAA aficionado... it's the reason I bought my PS2... but I recently picked up Madden 2003 because of the mini-games and the football tutorial that Madden has. If NCAA would incorporate those features into their next game, then I'd have a tough time justifying a Madden purchase, as well. Maybe if I liked pro ball more, but I'm more of a college ball fan.