Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What should I upgrade/replace next?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-03, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, could someone look at my meager home theater setup and let me know the next thing in dire need of replacement, why, and replacement suggestions? I know the subwoofer is crappy, and I plan on replacing it soon.

I would like to stay in the lower spectrum of price, but I definitely want to stay away from the HTiB equipment even though my system probably compares palely to those systems...sigh.
Old 04-21-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You didn’t mention what sonic areas you perceive as weaknesses in your system or how much you want to spend. Just based on the equipment list, I would mostly likely replace the sub first, followed by the receiver. However, if the bass sounds ok and isn’t too muddy, then I would start w/ a new receiver.

Some decent budget subs: HSU VTF-2; Definitive Technology Sub 80.
Good budget receivers: Harman Kardon AVR 225/325; Denon 1803; Outlaw 1050.
Old 04-21-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what is your objective? better sound for movies, better 2 channel music reproduction, better picture, better bass...? or what does your current system not do as well as you would like? then go from there.
Old 04-21-03, 01:42 PM

My objective is definitely to get a more immersive sound from movies. My price, hopefully, will stay in the approximate $500 range for each upgrade.

I think the sub needs replacement the most currently since it is a cheapo sub. Well...the whole system is kind of cheapo, but it makes the sub sound all that much worse. Before when I had a HTiB, it seemed more matched, but now I can definitely tell that the sub is not pulling its weight.

The only problem I see with replacing my receiver is that it just replaced my HTiB...and it will be difficult to sell the idea to my fiance' on a new receiver.

Are there certain strong points or weaknesses I should focus on after the subwoofer?