Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What are the top ten Gameboy Advance games?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned a GBA since it came out, but I found myself put off by the visibility issue. I had a worm light, but it really didn't work very well. Whenever I found a good bright light, I could see the screen but the glare made it even harder to see. In fact it got to the point where I didn't even want to play it anymore. Now with the release of the GBA SP (which I will be getting soon), I am interested in getting back into GBA, but I haven't been keeping up on game releases. The only two games I own are Mario Advance (the first one) and Mario Kart. As soon as I get my SP I will probably buy a handful of games, so what I'd like is to hear your top ten favorite GBA games. A few that I am interested in are the Castlevania games (played and loved CotM), the other two Mario Advance games, Super Monkey Ball, Zelda, Metroid Fusion, and Virtua Tennis. Do any of these games make anyone's top ten list?
Old 04-08-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Metroid is great. So is Advance Wars.
Old 04-08-03, 12:37 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Do a thread search...we've had at least 4 of these threads in the last month or two.

Advance Wars is awesome, Kanaarj Rally is fun for $10.
Old 04-08-03, 12:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got my GBA about a month ago, the games i've liked so far (in no particular order):

Advance Wars - was heavily addicted to this for about a week, really burnt myself out, though
Metroid: Fusion - just excellent. old school metroid. very awesome.
Golden Sun - i've been playing this intensively for about a week now. very fun.

the games i haven't had enough time with yet:
Mario Kart - very similar to N64 game. a lot of fun.
Motocross Maniacs Advance - i loved the original GB version

games for GBColor that i've only played a little (due to already being deeply immersed in Golden Sun) and can therefore make no comment on:
Zelda - Oracle of Seasons
Zelda - Oracle of Ages

games that i have not liked so far:
Castlevania - Circle of the Moon - i think i've outgrown Castlevania. it just doesn't hold my interest.
Old 04-08-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Th reason I bought a GBA in the first place was for Super Dodge Ball. I worship that game. And I also love Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo...
Old 04-08-03, 01:50 AM

I'm playing Castlevania:Harmony of Dissonance right now. I like it quite a bit. It reminds me alot of Castlevania:Symphony of the Night for the Playstation 1 if you have played that one. Also Castlevania:Aria of Sorrow comes out may 7th or so to. Megaman games are always good if somewhat repetitive.

Ahem so far Pokemon Ruby version is kinda neat if your into that kind of game... Can look for Phantasy Star Collection if your into retro role playing games. 1&2 are great 3 is a stinker though. Can't forget The Legend of Zelda:Lttp great game heh. Super Puzzle Fighter 2 was just released as well.
Old 04-08-03, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never owned the GameBoy Advance but i just recently picked up my SP and im hooked. So far i have these games and i recommend them all:

Street Fighter Alpha 3
Final Fight One
Metroid Fusion
The Pinball of the Dead

Im also looking to get both the Castlevania games before the 3rd is released. As a matter of fact, the SP has got me on such a high, that i went on Ebay the other day and purchased me a NES so i can play some of the ol' greats. Ninja Gaiden, now those are games that need to be released on GBA!
Old 04-08-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My current "heavy rotation list":

Moto Racer Advance: For racing, i don't think you can beat this. A behind-the-bike high-speed racer (in the OutRun genre) with 3 types of racing (motoX, streetbike, and 'traffic') and *tons* of tracks.

Pinball of the Dead: Me like Pinball. Dead good.

Karnaaj Rally: Very fun overhead racer, keeps you coming back for 'one more race'!

Advance Wars: Less hectic than action games, very adictive.

Konami Arcade Advanced: Edges out Namco Museum for best arcade collection. Who can argue with Gyruss, Scramble and Time Pilot? Many folks will like it for Frogger (not my fave). The enhanced modes are a bonus.

Doom/Duke Nukem: Playing good-quality FPS's on a handheld is a fun option, plain 'n' simple.
Old 04-08-03, 10:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
My favorite is "Not ANOTHER One of these Threads...It's Time for a STICKY!" I think it's put out by Capcom.
Old 04-08-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please close this thread.
Old 04-08-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
My favorite is "Not ANOTHER One of these Threads...It's Time for a STICKY!" I think it's put out by Capcom.
Old 04-08-03, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
Yet another HILARIOUS zinger from the almighty groucho...
Old 04-08-03, 03:28 PM
Cool New Member

Th reason I bought a GBA in the first place was for Super Dodge Ball. I worship that game.

Good call there, lordzep. Super Dodge Ball really rocks. I stumbled upon it by accident and becase instantly addicted. I thought I was the only one to ever play it.
Old 04-08-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although opinions will vary, most of the games listed here should be solid choices.

15 Must Have Titles for GBA

25 GBA Games to Watch