Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dandy Warhols/Welcome to the Monkey House

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-03, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see advance promo UK copies on ebay right now......
Anybody heard any of it?
Great title BTW, actually my favorite short-story ever. God Bless Vonnegut and god bless the Dandy Warhols.
Old 04-02-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is their new album---of course, can't wait---will be released in May in Europe, we in the states have to wait until July...I bought one of the advanced copies myself for 30 $...I could not help it...I may have it by the end of this week...There will also be two versions: this one and more 'dandy's like one' released later according to an article in Filter magazine and a report I read at slabtown.net....Capital is supposedly behind this one harder for they want some 'radio play.' Whatever, I guess. '13 Tales' was incredible and this one should be just as good...
Old 04-03-03, 09:24 AM

I bet you out-bid me......

Maybe you should burn it for me (these are not the two droids you are looking for).

Traveling to slabtown.net
Old 04-03-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I LOVE The Dandys. I may order from Amazon UK since I don't want to wait until July.

I hope I get to see them when they tour this time. Last time, one of the band members was ill and they had to cancel the show
Old 04-03-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by subbacultcha
I bet you out-bid me......

Maybe you should burn it for me (these are not the two droids you are looking for).

Traveling to slabtown.net
Nope, wasn't me, I used 'Buy it Now.' The auction had only been up for a few hours when I picked it up. Like LiquidSky said, I'd like to see them come around....maybe Philly? Who knows.
Old 04-03-03, 08:00 PM

The auction I had bid on was yanked for copyright reasons.

The last time they came they had Black Rebel Motorcycle Club opening for 'em. Maybe the best show I've ever seen. I checked ticketmaster for a double night gig in Dublin in May.....read "very special guest"...??? Just the potential is causing Pavlov's drool. Too bad I could never go.
Old 04-30-03, 08:09 AM

So, the vinyl 7" of "We used to be friends" is on its way. Rather weak song, but the b-sides look promising. I hope this is "the radio hit". Has anybody heard the track from a sampler CD included in SPIN from January?
Old 04-30-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

actually, as in my post above about the ebay auction, I've had the disc for several weeks and it is really good...It is not an album where you can have an instant qualification, rather it takes a few listens for it to sink in...Not a lot guitar, lots of swirling synths and atmosphere....I remember when I first had it on, I said "what the heck is this?" but after awhile you know its the Dandys....This is not going to be a universally loved album I think---critics and fans a like, but really is great.
Old 04-30-03, 12:44 PM

The Japanese version streeted on 4/28. I wonder what extra tracks are on it?

BTW, lostatmidnight, is "We used to be friends" one of the weaker tracks?
Old 04-30-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by subbacultcha
The Japanese version streeted on 4/28. I wonder what extra tracks are on it?

BTW, lostatmidnight, is "We used to be friends" one of the weaker tracks?
To be honest, no, I don't think it is, I've always liked "We used to be friends", but there are some experimental tracks that do not resonate in the ear too well upon initial listen...i.e. the scientist...I could give a track by track analysis, but I haven't listened to it for awhile...maybe I will...
Old 04-30-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by LiquidSky
I LOVE The Dandys. I may order from Amazon UK since I don't want to wait until July.
I'm gonna do the same. Amazon.co.uk is the best! I ordered the latest Cardigans (not available in the U.S. until late summer!) on a Monday and had it in my hands the following Friday. FIVE days! And I didn't pay for any extra shipping. Not only that, the CD was 9 pounds. New!
Old 05-01-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Daytripper: I did the same with the new Bangles CD. God only knows when it will be released in America. Sadly, the new Bangles was a bit of a dissapointment to me. It starts off with a great rockin' tune (Tear Off Your Own Head) and then becomes much too mellow for my tastes.
Old 05-01-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by LiquidSky
Daytripper: I did the same with the new Bangles CD. God only knows when it will be released in America. Sadly, the new Bangles was a bit of a dissapointment to me. It starts off with a great rockin' tune (Tear Off Your Own Head) and then becomes much too mellow for my tastes.
Wow, I was afraid of that (the new album being mellow). Not interested in album full "Eternal Flame" type songs I'm actually surprised this isn't released in the U.S. yet. With no release date scheduled. It doesn't help that these girls are playing State Fairs (!) However, I highly doubt this album stands a chance either way. Regardless if it's good or not. Look what happened to the Go-Go's last album. Their last album (after 17 years) was OUTSTANDING. And their best. And yet, it didn't even register a blip on the radar. Very sad. It's not their fault. Corporate radio is killing any artist that isn't fresh out of the box.
Old 05-02-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fully agree. There were some excellent songs on the last Go-Go's album.

I was a bit too harsh about the new Bangles album. There is more than one good song but after such an excellent opening song, it is a disappoinment that there no more real rockers on it.

re: corporate radio: same thing would most likely happen to Joan Jett . Man, she still puts on great concert that would put most of these current bands to shame and she has some great new songs.

Ok....back on topic What is your favorite Dandy's song? I love "Not Your Bottle" from their first CD. Wonderful psychedelic song.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 05-02-03 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-03-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the opening of Welcome to the Monkey House has an intro about 'corporate radio' saying that people don't know what song they heard until somebody told them...

anyway, slabtown has some new reviews and interviews from the European mags...

favorite song?
hmm...I still like orange....though maybe ride...

Last edited by lostatmidnight; 05-03-03 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-05-03, 09:43 AM

I think One(ultra lame white boy) is phenomenal. I really dig Shakin'. I love The Coffee and Tea Wrecks too.
Old 05-05-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anyone have a copy of the 'black album' and what do you think of it if you do?
Old 07-25-03, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by lostatmidnight
I'd like to see them come around....maybe Philly?
FYI. Dandy Warhols at the Trocadero in Philadelphia September 13. Tickets on sale TODAY (July 25).

Rock on.
Old 07-27-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just picked up the Australian version of Welcome to the Monkey House for $16 this weekend on the advice of a friend. I'd listened to (and enjoyed) the Dandys before, but not much beyond "Not if You Were the Last Junkie" and "Boys Better." Surprised at how much I like the disc. Very good stuff. Having trouble finding the time to listen to it though...Broken Social Scene, Fountains of Wayne and Super Furry Animals don't seem to want to leave my cd player...