Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Help! Everquest Online Adventures Problem!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-03, 06:13 AM
Li

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I sold a used copy of this game on eBay but it turns out the person is having problems with the used key. Is there any way around this? Is there a way I can unregister this game disc so they can play it on their playstation? Thanks!

It is a good thing that this reminded me that I need to cancel my acount. Otherwise I'll be charged for next month's playtime.

Last edited by Li; 03-18-03 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-18-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I assume you would need to cancel your account and then the person I would think should be able to register it. If not he might have to call them to see if he can get them to let him register the game.
Old 03-18-03, 01:29 PM
Banned

it might work after you cancel it. it says on the cover not for resale.
Old 03-18-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no way to cancel out a copy of the came and have someone else use the key. You would need to transfer the actual account. Give them the login and password and they'd have to go in and change the billing info and what not.

That goes for all online games of this type (EQ, UO, AC, etc).
Old 03-18-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also keep in mind that SOE is AGAINST transferring accounts like this, so the LAST thing I'd do is call them about it, they'd just outright ban the account.
Old 03-18-03, 02:03 PM
Li

Gezz, this is turning out to be more pain then it's worth. Why exactly would the care if you sold the thing and gave someone else the account?
I'd give the person the name and password, however, wouldn't they then have access to my credit card information that's being used to pay for the monthly fee? Or could I cancel the credit card and then give it to 'em?
Old 03-18-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Because if you sell your account, thats a customer that isnt playing from day one, so thats less income for them because they might not play as long, since they dont have to build up a char (granted at this stage of the release it's not a big deal, but in a year when people are selling topped out characters, it is, at least to them).

It's all about making a profit. If they feel that they will get more income from a user starting at level 1 as opposed to starting at level x on a previously used account, then they are against it.

As for the person having access to your CC, I can't really say. I'm not sure how it's set up on the PS2 version, but on the PC version it doesnt show your CC info. There is the option to cancel and renew, but thats it. Makes it easier because you just cancel and then when the time is up, it tells the user "hey, you're not subscribed, log in and subcribe" and they have to enter all the info in again, so they don't see any of the previous information.

I do this with the PC version actually. I usually pay for 3 months and immediately cancel it right after. After the 3 months is up if I'm still playing, I pay again, if not, I let it ride until I decide to play again.
Old 03-18-03, 03:06 PM
Li

I'm sure the game's a lot better on the computer. On PS2, hardly anyone has a keyboard so there's very little commicating. The virual keybaord is very slow and tedious to use. It would have been great with a headset.
Old 03-18-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
The real reason they do this, and it was the same as the pc version, is that they don't want one person to buy the game, then give it to all his friends so they can install it and just setup their own accounts. Sure, they might get more accounts setup that way, but they want to sell the software too. Also, if they didn't do it like that, people could just post hacked keys online and people could play with burned copies of the game.
Old 03-18-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just a thought. You probably could have made far more money had you sold you level X character with y armor and a +1 frying pan.
Old 03-18-03, 10:01 PM
Li

Ugg. I thought I had this all worked out, however, it turns out not. I canceled my card, and gave the buyer my account name and password. However, they say it's saying something like "try again later" when they input the info. Anyone have any idea why it's say something like that?
Old 03-18-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm like dgmayor, I'm familiar with the PC version, but not the PS2, however, I'll take a guess based on experience with the version I know.

they say it's saying something like "try again later" when they input the info. Anyone have any idea why it's say something like that?
My guess it it was one of two things. Either the log in server crashed, or they were patching the game (no idea if they actually do patch the PS2 version, but I would assume they must, even if it's just server side stuff)

Have him try again and there's probably a decent shot of it working for him.
Old 03-19-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

maybe the guy doesn't realize he needs an internet connection.....
Old 03-19-03, 01:42 PM
Li

Originally posted by RoQuEr
maybe the guy doesn't realize he needs an internet connection.....
Maybe.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the lady's just not happy with her purchase and wants her money back. She has never forgotten to mention something about a refund in every reply to me. I did say in the beginning that I'd give her a refund if it was impossible for her to play the game, but according to sony, there's no reason she can't.

Last edited by Li; 03-19-03 at 01:46 PM.