Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Cube 2: Hypercube

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cube 2: Hypercube

The DVD is supposed to come out in May but you can catch it on the Sci Fi Channel at the beginning of April.

APR 5th 9:00 PM
APR 5th 1:00 AM
APR 10th 9:00 PM
Old 04-06-03, 09:08 AM

Did anyone besides me watch this last night. My first impression was it's lousy. I will probably check it out again Thursday to see if I missed anything.
Old 04-06-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I didn't watch it last night.

But, I would agree with you, it was pretty bad.
Old 04-06-03, 02:23 PM

Ultra low budget schlock.
Old 04-06-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Bad acting, no plot, little gore, and lamest ending ever.

That said, I like the movie, it's pretty damn entertaining (moreso than the first, imo, tho the first was an overall better movie) and generally looks pretty good.

Oh and no, I didn't get to see it all last night, though saw it a while back.

When did it become a "Scifi Channel Original Motion Picture" ?

-Rich
Old 04-06-03, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by RichC2
............and lamest ending ever. -Rich
Amen! That stinkfest just left me scratching my head. It was like they came up with an OK idea, good graphics/special effects and started making the movie without any real plan then let it roll to a stop.

After reading the Wired article this month on how movies get made or killed I can only wonder what kind of deal was struck here.
Old 04-06-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
After reading the Wired article this month on how movies get made or killed I can only wonder what kind of deal was struck here.
I'm going for "You can make the film, only if you leave it open for a sequel/series."
Old 04-06-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I kind of liked the first movie, but the second movie was bad. It looks like they made a sequel just for more money.

Last edited by Edge; 04-06-03 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-06-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the first movie. Absolutely hated this one. There were hardly any traps in each room like the first one.
Old 04-06-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There were hardly any traps in each room like the first one.
Did you not watch the movie? Unlike the first film in which every other cube had a death trap, this one is where each and every other cube takes you into a parallel universe where you will either end up in the same cube as you were just in or a cube where time could be sped up, slowed down, gravity free, upside down, and what not.

Now while I enjoyed the film (cheesy b-film), the last 20 minutes were awful. It's like the cast and crew all just gave up (both in the film and behind the camera).
Old 04-07-03, 01:12 AM

The DVD comes out the 15th of this month, so I'll just wait and watch it the way it was intended to be watched. A new issue of the first one comes out the same day.
Old 04-07-03, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The way it was intended to be watched is drunk or not at all.

I agree with Manco about the lack of traps. They had to use the nutcase with the knife for internal conflict. All the talk about parallel universes and teleportation and such probably looked good on paper, but didn’t provide the same level of tension as the first movie.

I expected to be only mildly entertained and was disappointed. I’m glad I had this on tape so I wouldn’t have wasted the entire two hours.
Old 04-07-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mike1977
The DVD comes out the 15th of this month, so I'll just wait and watch it the way it was intended to be watched.
For a good movie, I'd absolutely agree with you. However, we're talking about Cube 2 here.

I love the first film, but heard bad things about this one. So I treated this Sci-Fi airing as a "free rental." And, having now seen it, I have absolutely no desire to buy or rent the DVD. Terrible retread of the first movie. Bad, bad, bad.
Old 04-07-03, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by bboisvert
For a good movie, I'd absolutely agree with you. However, we're talking about Cube 2 here.
Yeah really. The two inches of white room that got chopped off are really going to enhance the movie.

I love the first film, but heard bad things about this one. So I treated this Sci-Fi airing as a "free rental." And, having now seen it, I have absolutely no desire to buy or rent the DVD. Terrible retread of the first movie. Bad, bad, bad.
I looked at Hypercube the same way. I was glad I got a chance to see it before it was released. Now I saved $18 from buying it.
Old 04-07-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It aired at midnight here in Texas and when it was over, the time change kicked in and it was 3 am. So, this move stole 3 hours from me that could have been spent sleeping. This was an awful movie that did nothing for me. The first Cube movie at least held my attention.

One thing I did not understand was,

Spoiler:
Why did the psycho with the knife kill the girl he was hired to find? Was it just because he turned into a cannibal and wanted her for food just like when he killed Jerry?
Old 04-07-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
G. Noel Gross has posted a review of the Cube II DVD at
www.cineschlock-o-rama.com
Old 04-07-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

joefrog91, if that's the only unanswered question you have, then you must have slept thru most of the movie. Which would not have been a bad thing.
Old 04-07-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wizdar, that's not my only unanswered question, just the top one. It's pointless to list all of my unanswered questions since it's not a movie worth analyzing to death.
Old 04-08-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gotta side with anyone who thinks it was a waste of time. Not even close to being as compelling as the first, and the first wasn't all that compelling to begin with, but had it's high points. Sadly, I found myself sympathizing more with the knife wielding maniac than anyone else. After being trapped in that cube long enough, how could anyone not want to kill Jerry? Or Sasha? Or the psychiatrist lady? Or the crazy old lady? Or the... you get my point.

I am looking forward to the next one though, if only to laugh superiorly at it's lameness like the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons. Of course there will be a next one... how could they resist Cube 3? (Cube Cubed)