Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dreamcast MAME

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dreamcast MAME

I don't remember seeing this discussed (I used to post a long atime ago, now I'm mainly a lurker) but has anyone else been able to get their Dreamcast running MAME?

I FINALLY got it to work but as the Dreamcast version of MAME is an older version, I have to find older versions of Romsets (or make my own from the few I own - if only they were hooked up to the actualy cabinets and worked ).

I do have a major problem, though....the TV screen does not accomodate the entire playfield. Example: The top score/hiscore and bottom part of the maze of Pac-Man is chopped off. I do not know how to resize the screen in the MAME program (plus I don't have the DC keyboard - I'm using a self-boot front-end) and my TV does not have an option to manipulate the vertical size of the screen (as far as I know). Does anyone know how to fix this?

For those of you that have not tried this, do it, it is quite amazing (if it works correctly). I have introduced my 8 year old son to the classics I used to play and he loves them. I also love the fact I can play them on the living room TV away from my computer room.

If some of you haven't heard of the DC MAME, post and I will offer links to sites that explain it.
Old 02-18-03, 12:02 PM

What's the brand and model # of your TV? You need to access the service menu. That is the only way to fix it unless DC MAME has a a configuration file that you burned to the disc. If so, you may be able to fix it by moddifying the values with a text editor. That's probably unlikely so I would just bet on finding the service menu for your TV.
Old 02-18-03, 02:12 PM

How good does DC Mame work? I use dreamsnes and a lot of the games are choppy, framerate just isnt up there. I would love to play the xbox mame version, but unfortunately that requires a mod chip.
Old 02-18-03, 04:16 PM

Has anyone heard or someone using MAME DC in a arcade cabinet? I was wondnering how this would work. I have tried DreamSNES and found it pretty bad, too choppy. NesterDC however is a perfect emu for the 8-bit NES.
Old 02-18-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It works great on smaller, simpler games like Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, etc. When it comes to the bigger, more expansive games (i.e. Neo Geo games), it slows down quite a bit and may not even be able to play it. The DC only has 16mb of ram plus it has poor memory handling with lots of memory leaks. EVen if you play a bunch of early 80's games, you will have to reset the DC after a while. But it sure is fun playing all of these classics on the DC.
Old 02-18-03, 06:10 PM

There are a few different MAME versions for Dreamcast, and most support the older games with full speed / sound. As mentioned, NeoGeo games or anything else from mid-80's or newer doesn't work very well, if at all.

The screen layout and resolution varied on the older arcade games, and most of them used a portrait screen rotation (screen was rotated to be taller instead of wider). So, these games tend to be chopped at the bottom or top on a standard TV.

If you have a DC keyboard, most of the MAME versions allowed you to position the screen with the arrow keys or pgup / pgdn so that you could at least see the playfield. Otherwise, you can increase the resolution and the screen will be reduced to a small centered display with a large border.