Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Twin Peaks Season One WITH PILOT

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-03, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a search, so don't flame me if I missed a post about this, but you can buy "Twin Peaks" Season One WITH the PILOT included, in both Australia, and the U.K.! I have checked several sites, and they all confirm it was just a U.S. problem with rights, which are not affecting any other releases. Thought this would be of interest to you, if you haven't already discovered it. I haven't ordered yet myself, cuz I need to save some cash, but I am going to. I sold my U.S. version when I got it because I thought it wasn't complete, and I am not that excited to pay 20 bux for the pilot from Japan or whatever. Hope that this info is useful to y'all. And yeah, I am not Southern, just felt like saying y'all!
Old 01-21-03, 12:44 AM

This has been covered already, but it is available in all other regions with the pilot. You can get the Korean release which is NTSC or you can get one of the PAL versions from Europe. They're all going to run you about $70 with shipping.

Jeff
Old 01-21-03, 12:48 AM

By the way here is a review for the Korean set from a David Lynch set. He states that the quality is superb.

Jeff
Old 01-21-03, 01:37 AM

Thanks for the replies, as I said, I did a search, maybe I made it too specific to pick up on details. I was excited and didn't want anyone to miss it! I just think the region one is not worth having, since usually a pilot of ANY show is when they try and put out as much good stuff as they can, and seeing how the pilot of THIS show involved the murder they are trying to solve for the rest of the season.....well, anyway. Thanks again for the replies, I am glad people know, but how come nobody told me?<grin> I don't lurk here nearly enough!
Old 01-21-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
The region 1 release has DTS soundtracks and some additional extras that got dropped from these international releases. It is also mastered at a higher bit rate (only 2 episodes per disc, rather than 3), so it is still worth owning. I'll pick up this new remastered pilot in a heartbeat if they release it separately, but I'm not rebuying the whole box set.
Old 01-22-03, 10:37 AM

I agree with you JoshZ, and besides, I've compared screen shots from the Taiwan/HK, UK, and Korean Pilots on DVD...and they're really isn't that much difference. The Korean is better, but the Taiwan and UK are just about the same (tho the UK one seems too dark and more compress than the Taiwan one). In terms of sound, the Taiwan and UK Pilots on DVD again are just about the same...they both are slightly off pitch...and a bit tinny...the Taiwan one only slighlty more off than the UK one. The Korean one is much better in terms of sound. But the Korean one is Region 3, the UK one is Region 2, and they both are only available in the full set, not standalone as you said. Thus, I'm sticking with my Taiwan Region 0 Pilot DVD (with my redesigned cover to match the boxset, of course).

EDITED: Changed "US" to "Taiwan"

Last edited by JLyon1515; 01-23-03 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-22-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
JLyon, in your comparison are you talking about the pilot or the other episodes? There is no US release of the pilot. If you meant the other episodes, I don't know why you say the pitch is wrong on the US copies. It isn't. It may be on the UK copies due to PAL speed-up, but NTSC runs at the proper playback speed.
Old 01-23-03, 10:42 AM

Sorry, Josh. Big mistake on my part. I was saying US, but I really mean the Taiwan Catalyst Logic Pilot DVD. I've edited my post to be more accurate now.
Old 01-26-03, 09:36 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Wow. Just listened to the audio captures on that review site and the Korean release IS actually NTSC!!! No more helium voice.

If only you could get the damn pilot by itself!! I already have the Artisan boxed set.
Old 01-27-03, 06:05 PM

Ordered the Korean boxed set (and they shipped it already!) and will post a review by this weekend if I can.
Old 01-29-03, 06:05 PM

Got my Korean boxed set today. Pilot looks GREAT!