Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Region-free Player recommendations for a Univ.?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm putting together a list of suggestions for the creation of a Japanese film library for the Asian Studies Dept. here at my university and obviously since my list will just be for DVDs, any number of the films will be available only on non-R1 discs. I'm looking at HKflix's site and the models there look nice but are there any other US retailers that carry them or is that the only site to stock them? I'm not exactly sure how the Univ. will be paying for the hardware (if they decide to follow through or not), and I was wondering what chance I'd have finding models like that in a more local store -- or is there a comparable model out there that Bestbuy or Circuit City might carry?

Also, where could I find some professional (non-forum) reviews for players like the Malata and JVC? (helpful for me to provide links)

thanks,
Tuan Jim
Old 01-11-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think HKFlix IS a US retailer (or at least they store the goods here in the US). Ironically enough I just ordered the JVC 602 from them last night.

Best Buy carries the CyberHome 500 - which from what I understand sells for about $70. Reliability is hit or miss - if you get one that works you'll be very happy with it as from what I hear the picture is very good, esp for that price. Given that this is an institution you're buying for I'm not sure they'd want to chance the downtime.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-03, 10:55 PM

Tuan Jim,

Go to the offices of the Daily Tar Heel and ask for Lisa Reichle. She can help you out. Just tell her that Mike sent you.
Old 01-12-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mike Long
Tuan Jim,

Go to the offices of the Daily Tar Heel and ask for Lisa Reichle. She can help you out. Just tell her that Mike sent you.
Why? What does this have to do with the DTH? I'm talking about an individual department. The DTH has never done anything on DVDs before and I'd be really surprised if anyone there knew about non-R1 movies.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-12-03, 08:42 PM

Trust me, Lisa does. Would I steer you wrong?
Old 01-12-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mike Long
Trust me, Lisa does. Would I steer you wrong?
Thanks for the tip. I'll check tomorrow. Sorry if I came off as being a little rude.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-12-03, 09:54 PM

No prob. The DTH hasn't been the same since I left.