Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TAKEN airs Dec 2 on Sci-Fi (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-02, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TAKEN airs Dec 2 on Sci-Fi

I'm almost done reading the book and I'm now even more looking foward to seeing this miniseries. There are a few trailers at
http://www.scifi.com So what ar others thoughts on this?
Old 11-23-02, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Sci-Fi Channel? What's that?

Seriously though, a while ago during Farscape I saw a commercial for this and was pretty intrigued by it.

But that intrigue was replaced with disgust at the way Sci-Fi treated the show which was responsible for me seeing the promo in the first place.

So, those are my thoughts on it. Sci-Fi will be returned to my channel lineup on January 10th, 2003. Whether it stays there or not is up to Hammer and her cronies...
Old 11-23-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you watch this, you go on The List. What's The List? You sure you want to find out?

das

P.S. Apologies to those involved with Taken, but when you make a pact with Satan, you deserve what you get.
Old 11-23-02, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The Sci-Fi channel.

I thought it had stopped airing and was only coming back on-line for 11 hours starting on January 10th?

Pissing of your loyal viewers is a bad way to get them to watch a "highly touted" mini-series.
Old 11-23-02, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much as i was pissed at sci-fi channel for what they did to farscape i still have a few things to watch on the channel. Stargate SG-1, The next Dune movie and i must watch Taken. I saw Die Another Day today and during the previews they showed the trailer for taken. A lot of people oooo and ahhh'd.

Capt
Old 11-23-02, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Is December 2nd a little too early to get started on my taxes? Maybe I can catch a Diagnosis: Murder rerun on PAX...
Old 11-23-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Capt,

I assume you're a fan of DS9, and consequently, I'll assume you're a fan of science fiction. With all the Sci-Fi Channel has done to prevent quality science fiction from airing in the United States, I submit that we all have a responsibility to avoid it. It's not just Farscape, but a long list of outright lies and blatant hatred of the genre they profess to televise.

If you want to watch this, show some restraint, take a stand, and wait for the DVD. There's no excuse for supporting the forces of evil.

das
Old 11-23-02, 10:04 PM

I'll wait for the dvd release of Taken, if that never happens then it must not have been worth watching in the first place.
Old 11-24-02, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
I love the scifi channel because men in kilts rock. Seriously, Braveheart is my favorite science fiction movie.

Well, not really . . .

The SciFi channel doesn't even exist for me anymore. It'll come back on my channel lineup for the next 11 eps of Farscape, then that's it.

tasha
Old 11-24-02, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I understand the channel has made some bonehead moves that people are mad about.

Farscape
The Chronicle-why oh why was it cancelled
I-man-Even though its ratings dropped
First Wave-Actually wasnt sci-fi's fault its gone

We can go on and on and then i can go on listing other tv stations that have done the same thing. Just look at Fox. Just like sci-fi did with farscape, they said Dark angel would be back. Then a few days later they changed there minds and cancelled it. Even though i love firefly they still cancelled DA. But i dont boycott fox. I can go on and on about stations who have lied and cancelled my fav shows. But life goes on

capt
Old 11-24-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Completely different. Sci-Fi commissioned 2 seasons, the writers wrote a 2 season arc, and they yanked it after 1 season, even though the show was their highest rated original series (until they tried to kill it). Not only did they yank it, but they tried to bury it for months. Had Kemper not leaked the story to the fans, we still wouldn't know. Remember, they're the channel that issued a press release telling the public that they'd be getting rid of their "space" oriented programming, because it's "too Sci-Fi."

Fox never lied about Dark Angel. They didn't call it "their signature series" less than a year before killing it. They didn't issue a statement telling the public they had "complete confidence" in the series and had "commissioned 2 more seasons and hoped for many more" before yanking it after one. They told the public it would be over after the second season long before the season was over. The writing took a drastic turn in the second season to try and gain ratings, and it didn't work. There was nothing misleading about its treatment in any way. The only reason a 3rd season almost happened is Fox's skepticism over Firefly and pressure from James Cameron to give it one more season.

Rationalize it however you like to sleep at night, but what Sci-Fi has done is far beyond anything other networks have done (I too could go on and on about show cancellations that pissed me off). They have a consistent history of lying to their viewers with misleading and flat inaccurate press releases; they used science fiction programming to build a core audience, then cancelled all their original science fiction shows to divert funds towards new age and slightly fictional programming; they sent staffers to fan chatrooms issuing threats that we'd never see the Final 11 episodes if we continued to protest the cancellation of Farscape; they refuse to release the first 88 episodes so another network can tell the 5th season that they guaranteed. And more importantly than anything ... they hate science fiction. They look down on it. They've issued press releases saying that much. They think science fiction is too geeky and doesn't have broad appeal. They are blocking the marketplace from legitimate science fiction programming, and supporting them is an agreement that science fiction programming doesn't belong on television. Unless you count Braveheart and Crossing Over with John Edward, of course.

[/hijack]

das
Old 11-24-02, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I only watch Seinfeld reruns and on Sundays I watch HBO, so the Sci-Fi channel is unchartered territory for me. After reading the book 'Taken' I can see why it wasn't being made into a feature. The entire story spans over 50 years, from 1943 to present day. It is similiar to Close Encounters but on a much larger scale, it has good (IMO) ending and gives an interesting theory on all the UFO/abuction business. I for one would rather wait for a dvd release also so I can watch the whole story in one sitting.
Old 11-24-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IF it gets good reviews and IF I get around to it and IF it comes out on DVD, I MAY watch it later on.

But I'll be damned if I'm turning on the Sci-Fi Channel to see this during the TV run. Hear that, advertisers? I'm not watching. I'm. Not. Watching.

With Sci-Fi's track record, they'll probably change the timeslot three times during the course of the miniseries and then stop airing it right before the final episode because it couldn't "build on its audience."

One more year of Farscape. That's all I ask.
Old 12-02-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone planning on watching "Taken"?

It starts tonight at 9pm (8 central) on the Sci-fi channel. It's 10-parts -- 2 hours long for each episode.

It's produced by Stephen Spielberg and is about alien abductions & government conspiracies.

From what little I've read its revolves around 3 different families. Anyway, it sounds really cool. The story begins in 1947 -- goes to 1975 -- and then to the present. There is an "episode guide" on the Taken Website as well as a "trailer".
Old 12-02-02, 04:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I always enjoyed him on South Park but I'm questioning whether he really needed his own show.
Old 12-02-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'll wait for the DVD release and do a Netflix rental. Ten nights of Sci-Fi channel promotional crapola is more than I can stand. Sci-Fi channel can bite me.
Old 12-02-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, here's the story:

Taken is an epic saga that weaves together the stories of three families over multiple generations — and their crucial roles in the history of alien abductions. Set against the backdrop of actual historical events, Taken creates a powerfully emotional and evocative tale of mankind's encounters with extraterrestrials.The story begins with RUSSELL KEYS, an American WWII pilot who is dying of a bullet wound while his plane spirals down into enemy territory. Blue lights on the horizon interrupt his plane's descent — and some time later he and his squadron find themselves mysteriously whole and healed, on safe ground with absolutely no memory of how they got there. Only years later, as each member of the squadron dies inexplicably, does Russell understand that his life has been forever altered by his first alien encounter. Haunted, he searches for answers to his unfolding memories, only to realize he is powerless to prevent his son and subsequent generations from also becoming abductees.When the 1947 crash of a UFO near Roswell, N.M., occurs a few years after Russell's first encounter, U.S. military man OWEN CRAWFORD leverages his knowledge to become a major player in the subsequent cover-up and secret government investigation of the E.T. presence. This begins a decades-long effort by the Crawford family to use the government's investigations to secure their own powerful legacy — and to stop anyone who gets in their way.Finally, shortly after the Roswell crash, a chance encounter with a wounded man nearby sets off its own strange chain of events. SALLY CLARKE is a lonely woman who unexpectedly finds love in the arms of a stranger. Despite Sally's conviction that she has interacted with something not of this world, the other members of the Clarke family are unconvinced, even after she bears a son, JACOB, who manifests remarkable intuitive powers. Skepticism eventually evolves into obsessive belief, but too late to save the family from being pulled deeper into the secret designs of both the government and the extraterrestrial presence.The grand scale of these three families' tale, as told through the voice of Russell's 10-year-old great-granddaughter, ALLIE KEYS, explores generations of extraterrestrial encounters beginning in the skies over Germany during the Second World War to the modern tales of abduction that include the 1977 release of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. As we reach the present day, the decades of secrets unravel — and all three families must come together to unlock the awe-inspiring mysteries of being Taken.
Old 12-02-02, 04:34 PM
razorbackfan

10 parts at 2 hours a night is a bit more than my attention span can handle. I wonder if they'll have "Cartman's Anal Probe" in it?
Old 12-02-02, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope.

They killed Farscape.

So no "Taken" for me, thank you very much.
Old 12-02-02, 05:08 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm not committing to 20 hours of more TV - unless I hear its really good and they play it during the summer...
Old 12-02-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I must have missed something. I never watch the Sci-fi channel. I actually don't really watch much TV... What's the anger with them all about?

The show looks good to me.. who cares if the channel did some things you're upset with??? to each their own I guess.
Old 12-02-02, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrN
I'm not committing to 20 hours of more TV - unless I hear its really good and they play it during the summer...
I'm actually just taping it (no tivo) and watching it when I have time.
Old 12-02-02, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wouldn't mind watching, but two hours every night for ten straight days is a little much.

Honk!
Old 12-02-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Asked & Answered.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...75#post3041875
Old 12-02-02, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

strange I did a search on Taken and it gave me no results.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.