Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

spr uncut on abc

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
spr uncut on abc tonight at 8:00 pm

yes we see all the carnage, all the swearing and every thing that made this movie great (except that its in pan and scan) tonight. the movie will be 3 hours and 20 min and run with very limited commercials. the normandy sequence is shown in its intierty with out commercials btw.
Old 11-09-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i also saw an ad for this and was happy that they are showing it uncut. now if they could just show it in OAR.
Old 11-09-02, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good movie. I'll be watching.
Old 11-10-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

boy i cant wait for my dts dvd to come for christmas. i had to unfortuatly watch this in mono, but the normandy scene i know will sound great on the dvd.
Old 11-10-02, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Reality Bites Again

I hate to break it to people, but "Saving Private Ryan" on ABC last night was "censored" in parts. Not necessarily that scenes were cut, but some scenes were edited for content.

Take for example the scene where Hanks' character leads his men up the hill amongst the dead cattle and one of them gets hit. While they attend to him the first "shot" is of the fallen soldier he has no mortal wound or blood exiting from the abdomen, but after the morphine is injected all their hands are covered with blood and the medical gauze is soaked.

For a broadcast network there was a lot shown and ABC has taken "the lead" when it comes to showing content (ie; "Schindlers List"), but there are the airbrush moments that creep into just about everything.

Hell, I thought it was stupid the way they edited that scene, but the audience was left to see a soldier get blown up by a "sticky" bomb that he didnt deploy in time.
Old 11-11-02, 09:07 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

dead cattle and one of them gets hit. While they attend to him the first "shot" is of the fallen soldier he has no mortal wound or blood exiting from the abdomen, but after the morphine is injected all their hands are covered with blood and the medical gauze is soaked.

??? I was watching SPR on ABC here in NYC and me and my friend DEFINITELY saw blood gushing out of Wade's (the medic) wounds.
Old 11-11-02, 09:56 AM
Banned

Originally posted by greydt
??? I was watching SPR on ABC here in NYC and me and my friend DEFINITELY saw blood gushing out of Wade's (the medic) wounds.
I saw that too.I haven't seen SPR uncut in a while because i don't own the dvd but there was definitely alot of blood coming out of Wade.
Old 11-11-02, 11:06 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yeah, the swearing sure is a big part of what made this movie great!
Old 11-11-02, 03:06 PM
Banned

It really is annoying how much reverence and praise viewers and networks lavish on Spielberg and SPR. "Oh, his film is untouchable. We can't censor it or show commercials, that would be a desecrtation to a great artist and American history."

But the networks cut every other movie to ribbons. Why is SPR untouchable, but Dumb and Dumber gets cut? All film is art. None of it should be censored, not just the ones that you deem socially relevent. I for one don't like SPR. It's easily the worst war film I've seen. Nothing but a run and gun video game movie. Hey Steven, how about an original character? How about some good dialogue? How about some depth or moral ambiguity?

I recomend Das Boot, Come and See, The Steel Helmet, and Paths of Glory.
Old 11-12-02, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
It really is annoying how much reverence and praise viewers and networks lavish on Spielberg and SPR. "Oh, his film is untouchable. We can't censor it or show commercials, that would be a desecrtation to a great artist and American history."

But the networks cut every other movie to ribbons. Why is SPR untouchable, but Dumb and Dumber gets cut? All film is art. None of it should be censored, not just the ones that you deem socially relevent. I for one don't like SPR. It's easily the worst war film I've seen. Nothing but a run and gun video game movie. Hey Steven, how about an original character? How about some good dialogue? How about some depth or moral ambiguity?

I recomend Das Boot, Come and See, The Steel Helmet, and Paths of Glory.

I think it had more to do with the fact that they were showing it for Veteran's Day than anything. It would be in very poor taste to show a cleaned up version of SPR when one of the main goals of the film were to realistically portray war. It would be like a slap in the face of all the people who gave/risked their lives.
Old 11-12-02, 10:55 AM
Banned

And it's not a slap in the face to film art when the networks censor Braveheart? or The Wild Bunch? or Mean Streets?
Old 11-12-02, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a slap in the face to mafioso when The Godfather is butchered for TV!
Old 11-12-02, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

tnn plays it uncut on tv but vh1 and bravo do not and there for edit the movie.
Old 11-13-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
I think it is because the censors still have to answer to the general public and the general public does not like its violence, or swear words unless there is a reason behind it. yes all films are art but you have to agree that most are very comercial art. even though i enjoyed it I wouldn't really hang Dumb and Dumber with track lighting.
Old 11-13-02, 01:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

While watching the movie on ABC, I asked my friend "Hey, why aren't they showing this on Veteran's Day instead?"

He replied: "What? And have the station pre-empt Monday Night Football?" (which I didn't take into account)

There's your so-called "reverance"

Anyway, it was Veteran's Day in the US...you prefer that they show "Das Boot" (which I love, by the way) instead?

Well, maybe next year they'll show the uncut version of Pearl Harbor...
Old 11-13-02, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by greydt
Anyway, it was Veteran's Day in the US...you prefer that they show "Das Boot" (which I love, by the way) instead?

-
You're right. That's funny, I listed 3 out of 4 war movies that aren't about U.S. wars. Well how about The Steel Helmet, the Big Red One, The Thin Red Line,
Old 11-13-02, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
And it's not a slap in the face to film art when the networks censor Braveheart? or The Wild Bunch? or Mean Streets?

Well, I completely agree with you, but TV execs are a different breed. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big supporter of "Film is art," but I can also see the other side of it when it comes to network broadcasting. There has to be some kind of a line... besides if you want to see the best representation of those films, why would you watch them on TV anyway?