Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Energy take 5 -> JBL N38?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-02, 03:08 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am thinking of getting rid of my energy take 5 speakers and getting the JBL N38 + NSP package. Can the experienced tell me if it would worth the money and effort? how much improvement can I hear, in movies and musc?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-02, 04:23 PM

You probably want to hold off on that until you can make a bigger upgrade. The N series and the Take 5 are more of a lateral move (though depending on individual tastes, one person may prefer one package to the other), so it's probably not worth the money.
Old 08-11-02, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with gotapex. What about your current setup do you find lacking? Perhaps a receiver or subwoofer upgrade might be more worthwhile.
Old 08-11-02, 06:01 PM
Cool New Member

I am actually pretty happy with take 5 + subwoofer setup. Only thing is that when listen to music, the little front speaker doesn't seem to produce good mid range sound.
Old 08-11-02, 10:58 PM

The N38 should have a more meaty mid range, but I don't think that it's a big enough upgrade to justify the cost. If it was my money, I'd hold off for a good deal on something else (BTW, I bought my JBL S312's for $139 each, brand new from Ubid, so I'm sure other deals will come by).
Old 08-11-02, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Instead of buying a whole new setup, you could replace just the fronts and the center channel. At around $800-1000 you could choose from many great brands.
Old 08-11-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is wrong with N38? thats what i have and i like it!
along with N26 and N center speaker. with a PB 250 sub(i think.)
Old 08-12-02, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mole177
what is wrong with N38? thats what i have and i like it!
Nothing at all. We just believe that Energy Take 5's are also very nice speakers. So if he upgrades, I think he should go to a higher price range to really notice the difference.
Old 08-15-02, 03:16 PM

Can the experienced tell me if it would worth the money and effort
It will be worth the money and effort!!!

... how much improvement can I hear, in movies and musc?
Movies:
1) Sounds like a real Movie Theater and not a HT.

2) The JBL setup w/sub Will Sound Better Than Your Local Cinema Theater.
... Handles more power without the fear of blowing your speaker drivers.

Music:
1) The N38 & the N24 have lower usable frequency vs. Take 5
... Means easier to blend with just about any powered sub-woofer.
... Excellent midrange

2) JBL Titanium Tweeter has a smoother & wider SPL distribution into your listening area.
... JBL incorporated some of their TEC Award Winning LSR Pro-Studio Monitors technology into the N-Series. (& S-Series)

For more JBL N-Series Speaker INFO & Reviews w/links, see my web page Why you should add JBL N & S Series to your audition list!.

NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!

Phil
Old 08-15-02, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

Wow Phil you have done nice work with that site DOnt take this post the wrong way but-

Some of your assertions are a bit off but I understand where they are coming from. I worked for Harman for 11 and know their systems and engineers well.

System design is a case of give and take at any given price point. Harman has high overhead so the material content is low compared to some other companies products, which is a negative. But they have excellent engineering tools because of the overhead, which is a plus.

"sound better" is all in the ears of the listener.

Like every speaker sounds different so does every theater. So to make a claim like "Sound Better Than Your Local Cinema Theater" is a bit of a reach.

Blending to the sub is handled by the receiver. In 5.1 set up the sats are cut at 80Hz (thx).

In becoming a fan of JBL (or any brand) you have to be careful of the marketing hype. This hype is all over in the N and S products, more than any product I can think of.

PolyPlas™ = coated paper cone
HeatScape™ = vented pole (done by everyone)
FreeFlow™ = flared port (Bose won lawsuit on patent infringement)
Straight-Line Signal Path™ = PCB layout
EOS™ = wave guide (pioneered by Infinity then used by JBL)
Titanium-laminate = coated aluminum dome

I agree with you that these are good products but just want to add some balance to the post.

In the end go listen. I agree with the others in this thread that this upgrade will leave you in about the same area of product. Unless you have heard the JBL's and find the sound more enjoyable
Old 08-15-02, 06:58 PM

... "sound better" is all in the ears of the listener.
Agreed!

... make a claim like "Sound Better Than Your Local Cinema Theater" is a bit of a reach.
Although I do make that claim (background semi-pro musician, music writer, composer, etc.), I was also told that, by my small Jazz group members and many friends / family members that have been coming over to my once or twice Friday NITE DVD Movie sessions. (Equipment that received that commend JBL NSP1's / AudioSource SW15 REF Calibrated w/VE - since APR. 2000)

Later, a professional reviewer wrote the same thing, ... Brent Butterworth where he wrote about the JBL NSP1's
The N-Center matches the sound of the N24 extremely well, better than Home Theater Direct's Level Three center matches the sound of its Level Three bookshelf. That excellent timbre matching lends coherence to the sound of the entire system, making movies seem more like I was hearing them in a real theater, not a home theater.
Blending to the sub is handled by the receiver. In 5.1 set up the sats are cut at 80Hz (thx).
So, you'd agree that the satellites should at the very least reach around 80 Hz or so.

Here is some Objective standard speaker tests data by Tom Nousaine for Sound & VIsion (very revealing)...

JBL NSP1
Frequency Response
N-24 front left/right... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
N-Center.................. 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
N-24 surround.......... 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB

Energy Take 5.2
Frequency Response
Take 2.2 front left/right..... 110 Hz to 16.3 kHz ±4.5 dB
Take 1.2 center................ 110 Hz to 17.4 kHz ±4.5 dB
Take 2.2 surround.............110 Hz to 13.2 kHz ±3.2 dB

The above just reveals what I heard during my personal auditioning during 1999/2000, just before I bought the JBL NSP1's.

With all the latest Blockbuster DVD's out today (LOTR; MI-2; Men in Black; Independance Day; Armageddon; X-Men; Tomorrow Never Dies; etc.), replaying those DVD's up to REFERENCE SPL Level without the fear of blowing them up and sounding like a real Cinema Theater (not a home theater) was very critical to me!! The JBL NSP1 w/AudioSource SW15 combination continues to provided me and my friends/family that enjoyment - now @ my vacation house! My main HT since Feb. '02 is JBL S-26 (x4) and JBL S-Center w/SVS 25-31PCi (since Apr.02).

Phil

Last edited by Phil I; 08-15-02 at 07:00 PM.