Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any other dish 6000 users here?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-09-02, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know if Dishnet is planning on upgrading the guidescreen anytime soon? It's a total POS. Why can't they implement something like the guide on the 501?
Old 08-10-02, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have (and sell these 6000's) and can tell you that what you see is what you will always see on the 6000! We were promised OpenTV (at a later date) with the 6000 when it came out but alas good ol' Charlie lied again! The limited memory in the 6000 will not allow the upgrade to OpenTV. Why that can't at least change the interface (still the same as the first receivers Dish came out with) is beyond me considering the 6000 is the most expensive receiver in their lineup!
Old 08-12-02, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Frank S, I was watching the techchat tonight and they had some info on the 921 receiver. Do retailers have anymore info on that receiver? Specifically will it have OTA DTV capability (like the 8VSB module currently)? Any info on price/upgrade offers?
Old 08-13-02, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Echostar never gives us any info that can't be received by end users! I can say that the OTA decoder will be included with the 921 as well as the 8PSK modulation now used by Dish (instead of the QPSK). At least that is what has been promised, but we all know Charlie is hardly one to be counted on to fulfill his promises. Remember whent the 6000 was going to come out Charlie promised that OpenTV would be added at a later date and we now know the 6000 doesn't have enough memory for OpenTV so it never will have it! Just one of the MANY reasons why this merger would be a horrible mistake having one company running all of the satellite service and who will continue to have final design say on all equipment (even if manufactured by someone else they still spec and design the equipment).
Old 08-13-02, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 6000 is coming in the mail tomorrow. Any tricks or pointers on getting it set up? I am getting the 8vsb module as well. What are some decent antennas?

I can't wait for the HDTV goodness.
Old 08-13-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by edstein
My 6000 is coming in the mail tomorrow. Any tricks or pointers on getting it set up? I am getting the 8vsb module as well. What are some decent antennas?

I can't wait for the HDTV goodness.
Once you go HD, you can never go back! It's a pretty simple installation. I assume you already have an old receiver in place right now. You can just take the old one out and put this new one in. First install the 8vsb module (if it's not already installed). It's just like plugging in a cartridge and attaching 2 screws to fix it tightly. Then start plugging in your connections. I have it connected via component out and also via s-video out. I watch SD in s-video mode only and HD in component. I also recommend using the optical audio out to connect to your receiver.

The HDTV antenna I use is the Silver Sensor antenna. It's a UHF only antenna (most DTV stations nowadays are on UHF, atleast until the crossover to DTV-only is complete). It works great! One of the best hdtv antennas there is. I live in a suburb of Chicago about 25 miles from the sears tower (where most of the antennas are) and receive all of the channels at around 70-100% strength. To setup your local DTV channels, you have to go into your installation menu and have the 6000 search for these channels (once your antenna is hooked up of course. It's pretty simple. Total time to install is probably only 15-20 min (10 if you don't take a bathroom break ).
Old 08-13-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Frank S
Echostar never gives us any info that can't be received by end users! I can say that the OTA decoder will be included with the 921 as well as the 8PSK modulation now used by Dish (instead of the QPSK). At least that is what has been promised, but we all know Charlie is hardly one to be counted on to fulfill his promises. Remember whent the 6000 was going to come out Charlie promised that OpenTV would be added at a later date and we now know the 6000 doesn't have enough memory for OpenTV so it never will have it! Just one of the MANY reasons why this merger would be a horrible mistake having one company running all of the satellite service and who will continue to have final design say on all equipment (even if manufactured by someone else they still spec and design the equipment).
Are they totally going to dump the 8PSK modulation scheme? If so, that's great. As long as the OTA decoder is included (hopefully built-in) in the 921, I'll buy it for sure.
Old 08-13-02, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

edstein,
Actually as far as installing the 8VSB module DO NOT install the 8VBS module until you have setup the 6000 and let it take the software download or the receiver will not recognize the module. After the software download then turn off the receiver and install the module and you'll be set. Also be aware you need two modules for full compatability (the 8VSB ($150) for local HDTV receptionand the 8PSK ($49) for the Discovery channel and all new HD programming)

huzefa,
Yes, Echostar will be losing the QPSK in the future, but it will be a while. All new HD on Dish wil be in QPSK though so those who don't upgrade will be out of luck.

Remember the 8VSB is strictly for OTA not satallite reception so changing to the QPSK will not effect the 8VSB. Two different things all together.

Last edited by Frank S; 08-13-02 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-13-02, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember the 8VSB is strictly for OTA not satallite reception so changing to the QPSK will not effect the 8VSB. Two different things all together.
But I'm sure they can implement both OTA and sat capability in the receiver itself.
Old 08-13-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the tips guys.

Can you watch SD programming through the component connection? If so, is there any picture degredation? I don't want to switch between inputs if I don't have to.

I think I am going to go ahead and get the QPSK module for the Discovery HD channel. Do you know of any other channels coming soon that will use that module as well? I have heard some people are getting HDnet on the UPN channel here in Ft. Worth every now and then. The more HD the better.
Old 08-13-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the tips guys.

Can you watch SD programming through the component connection? If so, is there any picture degredation? I don't want to switch between inputs if I don't have to.

I think I am going to go ahead and get the QPSK module for the Discovery HD channel. Do you know of any other channels coming soon that will use that module as well? I have heard some people are getting HDnet on the UPN channel here in Ft. Worth every now and then. The more HD the better.
Yes, there is some picture degradation while watching SD programming in HD mode (component connection), but not that much. Also the switch inputs is through the remote itself. As for the HDnet on the UPN, that's not something Dish has any control over at present, but they are in talks with Mark Cuban to put HDnet on dish.
Old 08-13-02, 12:32 PM

If you watch your SD material in 4X3 mode, the picture looks fine. However, if you stretch the screen to fix 16x9 the 6000 does a poor job of stretching the image compared to your typical RPTV.

I haven't heard of anything new coming in the horizon. As far as HDNet, Mark Cuban has stated that he won't enter into discussions about this until the merger is decided. Mark Cuban is supposedly introducting three more HDTV channels by the end of the year, but again nothing has been stated about this.
Old 08-15-02, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I finally got my dish 6000 hooked up. The HD channels are great. I do have a couple of issues though. First, is anyone else having audio problems on the Discovery HD channel. Mine drops out every now and then. Second, the signal strength of the local HD channels is marginal with the indoor antenna that I am using. It works about 70% of the time. But, when it does go out, it keeps me from seeing any of the other channels as well. The guide still shows up but no picture. I called Dish and they said to remove and reinstall the smart card. That fixes the problem but, if my local HD channels drop out again the problem will repeat itself. Any tips or similar problems.

All in all it is a great system. I have not had a chance to play with the PVR in the other room much. I will check it out more this weekend.
Old 08-15-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I finally got my dish 6000 hooked up. The HD channels are great. I do have a couple of issues though. First, is anyone else having audio problems on the Discovery HD channel. Mine drops out every now and then. Second, the signal strength of the local HD channels is marginal with the indoor antenna that I am using. It works about 70% of the time. But, when it does go out, it keeps me from seeing any of the other channels as well. The guide still shows up but no picture. I called Dish and they said to remove and reinstall the smart card. That fixes the problem but, if my local HD channels drop out again the problem will repeat itself. Any tips or similar problems.

All in all it is a great system. I have not had a chance to play with the PVR in the other room much. I will check it out more this weekend.
I have not had any audio drops with Discovery HD but then again I'm watching it on the preview channel. Maybe it's the QPSK module that's bad. Secondly, the local HD's come in great on my antenna; maybe it's just a problem of where you are situated relative to the broadcast tower. I'm using a Silver Sensor UHF antenna; and can get all of the UHF-DTV channels at around 70-100. I would try removing the QPSK module and making sure your dish is aligned properly.
Old 08-15-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just a point of clarification.... The two available modules for the 6000 are the 8VSB for the OTA reception and the 8PSK module which if for the new compression scheme used by Dish and is required to get Discovery HD. The QPSK standard is what Dish started using and what DirecTV uses, but this news scheme was developed just recently and Dish jumped on it so it could offer more HD channels per transponder.

Last edited by Frank S; 08-15-02 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-15-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a point of clarification.... The two available modules for the 6000 are the 8VSB for the OTA reception and the 8PSK module which if for the new compression scheme used by Dish and is required to get Discovery HD. The QPSK standard is what Dish started using and what DirecTV uses, but this news scheme was developed just recently and Dish jumped on it so it could offer more HD channels per transponder.

So QPSK is the old modulation scheme and 8PSK is the new module they are giving out with the DiscoveryHD channel?
Old 08-15-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Correct!