Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Mulholland Drive 2-disc French DVD available September

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-02, 10:15 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there you go. For all those who thought there won't be a more substantial version anytime soon. Include some nice supplementals. The cover looks alot nicer than the US version. Good thing for those who could understand French.
Old 06-28-02, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the post but you don't need to know French to watch an English movie. It will have French subtitles which can be removed. Price looks to be about US$25-26. I will probably pick this up for the extras.
Old 06-28-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can you post the extras?
Old 06-28-02, 12:33 PM

Region 2?
Old 06-28-02, 12:52 PM
Cool New Member

Yes, region 2 (too bad for most of us). But there are enough all-region DVD players out there that some of us could play it. Includes 2 documentaries, Cannes material, interviews, and others. Full specs on Amazon.fr.
Old 06-28-02, 01:03 PM

Babelfish translation

Mulholland Drive - Edition 2 DVD

Our price : EUR 25,99 / 170,48 FF

This article will be published it September 3, 2002.

Details of the edition :
• Original Title : Mulholland Drive
• Zone 2 (Europe, the Middle East & Japan only)
• Format screen:
• Origin: France

No-claims bonus :
• Making Of
• 2 documentary: "Special Lynch" and "the Art of David Lynch"
• the interview of the type-setter Angelo Badalamenti
• interviews of collaborators of David Lynch
• the conference of the Festival of Cannes 2001
• a photo report
• bond Internet
• the trailer
• a random chapitrage
Format image:
Cinemascope - 1.85:1
Full Screen (Standard) - 1.33:1

Zone and formats sound:
Zone: Zone 2
Sound languages and formats: English (Dolby DIGITAL 5.1), French (Dolby DIGITAL 5.1)
Subtitles: French
Old 06-28-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have absolutely no problem with the Reg 1 release, I am just happy to be able to watch Lynch's latest on my format of choice.
I will buy the new release just to support David's work on DVD in hopes of inspiring further release of his catalogue.
Old 06-28-02, 01:19 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Souds great! Just wish I had a region free player.
Old 06-28-02, 01:26 PM

Normally I would love to get the edition with the most special features, but I'll just stick to my R1 disc. I don't really feel like I need to have special features for this film and only the press conference sounds especially interesting. And this edition won't be director approved and won't have DTS.
originally posted by Brainstormed
The cover looks alot nicer than the US version.
I don't think so.

Does that look like a Lynch poster to you guys? I so hate these "faces" posters although this one is more tastefully done than most. Both of the two US disc covers are superior to this one in my opinion, and I know they also have the actresses' faces on them. They just evoke the mood of the film better by being a lot more mysterious.
Spoiler:
The above cover art would be appropriate only if the last half hour of the film were cut out. Also, the above poster doesn't work since Lynch has intentionally named the film "Mulholland Dr." not "Drive" (it could also be "Mulholland Dream").

Still, the US teaser poster surpasses all of these covers IMO:

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 06-28-02 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-28-02, 01:32 PM
Cool New Member

That's because Lynch did not approve all these features in the US release. Will the crotch be blurred? Sorry for asking, but would be "hot" item if unblurred. Not DTS? Good point, but some won't have DTS decoder so may not be an issue.
Old 06-28-02, 02:20 PM

There's a Korean release out now that is region-free:

Anamorphic
English DD 5.1 & 2.0
Scene Selections
Making-of
Interviews
Highlights
Music Video
Photo Gallery
Cast & Crew
Production Notes
Theatrical Trailer

Old 06-28-02, 02:27 PM

looks like the only reason it's 2 discs is because it has a full screen version. the docs also don't look very interesting.
Old 06-28-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gee, he's my favorite type-setter of all time!
Old 06-28-02, 02:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid

Gee, he's my favorite type-setter of all time!
Damn it, you beat me to it.

I'll probably get this, although The Art of David Lynch has the same name as another feature length documentary, which I already own on DVD. Still, the other features seem good enough that getting that documentary again wouldn't be so bad, I could just sell my other copy.
Old 06-28-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
The above cover art would be appropriate only if the last half hour of the film were cut out.
Ummm, how so? It's perfectly appropriate either way. The poster art does not need to reflect upon the movie's ending.

Also, the above poster doesn't work since Lynch has intentionally named the film "Mulholland Dr." not "Drive"
If you watch the end credits, the movie's title is spelled out as MULHOLLAND DRIVE at the copyright notice. The only reason it is abbreviated on the cover art is because they use the image of a street sign.

Spoiler:
(it could also be "Mulholland Dream").
Spoiler:
You're reading too much into that abbreviation. No one abbreviates "dream" as "dr.". At worst, it might be confused for "Mulholland Doctor".

Last edited by Josh Z; 06-29-02 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-28-02, 05:09 PM

Josh Z: I don't think you should have revealed what was inside the spoiler tags.

Anyway.

Spoiler:
To me, the French cover art makes the film look like a mediocre "two girls solve a mystery" type of film, which is, in my opinion, what Lynch was attempting to poke fun at during the linear part of the film (i.e. everything except the last 30 or so minutes). Up until the "wake up" moment, the film seemed like a send-up of Hollywood thriller conventions, appropriate given the film's themes of stardom and dreams, especially fantasies.

As for the title, I may be reading too much into it, and yes, the end credits do spell it as Mulholland Drive, but how can you know the only reason the street sign was used to show the title wasn't precisely to allow for the tantalising possibility of "Dr." standing for "Dream"? I'm not the only one who has pointed this out. I just think it's more than mere coincidence.
Old 06-28-02, 05:15 PM

TD, on the other hand
Spoiler:
couldn't Drive not only be a noun (as in the street) but also a verb(the quest for stardom)?

The possibilities are many in Lynch's films.
Old 06-28-02, 05:43 PM

hey Tristran, ya know where i can order that Korean dvd from? is there a review fr it online somewhere or if you've seen it can you please review the quality(& extras), oh and also if the crotch is blurred

Last edited by wildzero84; 06-28-02 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-29-02, 01:06 PM

ok, i've looked around but can't seem to find that Korean disc anywhere. some help please....

Last edited by wildzero84; 06-29-02 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-29-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
Josh Z: I don't think you should have revealed what was inside the spoiler tags.
To be honest, I'm not sure where the spoiler is. I don't think you've given away any specific plot points. I removed the spoiler tags because I didn't think they were necessary in the first place. But, though I think what you state is perfectly vague enough to get by without a spoiler tag, I will edit my last post to add one back in for the last sentence, which is the only thing that could even remotely be considered a spoiler.

To me, the French cover art makes the film look like a mediocre "two girls solve a mystery" type of film, which is, in my opinion, what Lynch was attempting to poke fun at
But it is a "two girls solve a mystery" film. Like most of Lynch's movies, it manages to satirize one type of thing while at the same time being that thing. Besides, I really don't see how that poster leaves you with that impression any more than the American posters.

Spoiler:
but how can you know the only reason the street sign was used to show the title wasn't precisely to allow for the tantalising possibility of "Dr." standing for "Dream"? I'm not the only one who has pointed this out. I just think it's more than mere coincidence.
Where have you ever seen that word abbreviated that way?