Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Views on how this forum functions

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Views on how this forum functions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is to Trigger,

I just wanted to say thanks for this link to the sticker. But I do want to address something as well.

It regards the recently closed topic:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=167378

All I asked for was if anyone had any links book-marked that they could give me where I could search for/buy dvd's that aren't R1 or R2. Is that too much to ask for? It has nothing to do with laziness at all. There seem to be hundreds of links on the first page of this thread alone. And then you factor in other stickers that are "Part 1" or "Part 3" or "Part 5." Honestly, where does one begin with all of this information? I'm sorry, but not everyone has time to wade through them all, regardless of how much someone loves dvd's.

I felt that if someone had book-marked a site where they buy dvd's from, that would mean it was reputable. That's all I wanted. A few reputbale links to where I could buy dvd's outside of R1 and R2.

Now, this sticker is extremely good for gathering information. But I was looking for a few board members to say something like, "I've been here for a while, and out of all these links, I found this, this and this to be the best and most reliable places to order from." If that's too much to honestly ask for...fine. Although I love the idea of this sticker, I find it also kind of ridiculous in the fact that people expect newcomers to go through these many links and pay money to online retailers in hopes that they will be reliable.

Sorry for the rant but I felt it needed to be said. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by benedict; 06-22-02 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-22-02, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by PacMan2006
This is to Trigger,

I just wanted to say thanks for this link to the sticker. But I do want to address something as well.

It regards the recently closed topic:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=216849

All I asked for was if anyone had any links book-marked that they could give me where I could search for/buy dvd's that aren't R1 or R2. Is that too much to ask for?
That's what this thread is about... links to online retailers. They are broken up into categories for each country. I have a bunch of stuff "bookmarked", but that doesn't make it worth going to. The stores I use most often are not in my list of favorites.

By the way - this thread isn't the best place to address me personally. If you have something specific to say to me and your thread is shut down, you can email me. I'm answering here anyway because perhaps this will serve as good info to someone else who is new to the forum. I am not a moderator either, so you ought to notice that I was not the one who closed your thread.

It has nothing to do with laziness at all. There seem to be hundreds of links on the first page of this thread alone. And then you factor in other stickers that are "Part 1" or "Part 3" or "Part 5." Honestly, where does one begin with all of this information? I'm sorry, but not everyone has time to wade through them all, regardless of how much someone loves dvd's.
The links to online retailers are categorized by country to make it easy to search for what you are looking for. If you have no idea what you are looking for, then perhaps you are starting your search off on the wrong foot. I mean - we are a helpful bunch here, but we aren't Nostradomus and we don't have crystal balls and we can't read your mind. If you said "I'm looking for Sanford and Sons on DVD from any region" then we would try to help you find it. Then lets say we found out that the Netherlands made a Sanford and Sons DVD set and you wanted it, you could then ask "Anybody have experience with these Belgian etailers?" and list the ones that look legit enough for you and we would give you our opinions of the stores. Alternatively you could do a search for a store name in this forum and chances are it was discussed at one point or another.

I felt that if someone had book-marked a site where they buy dvd's from, that would mean it was reputable. That's all I wanted. A few reputbale links to where I could buy dvd's outside of R1 and R2.
As I said - if you want a list of reputable etailers, then here it is. If you want to know how reputable they are then you'll have to get specific and ask people in the forum what they think of etailer 'X' and so on. Also to consider is that often times the most reputable place has the highest prices and yet the place with the lowest prices may be somewhat of a fly-by-night operation but still be a decent place to order from.

Now, this sticker is extremely good for gathering information. But I was looking for a few board members to say something like, "I've been here for a while, and out of all these links, I found this, this and this to be the best and most reliable places to order from." If that's too much to honestly ask for...fine.
This sticky post has all the information gathered for you... it's done. The work is all complete. All you have to do is start looking. I mean - it doesn't even sound like you know what you want yet. "Outside of R1 and R2" could be anywhere in the world except for most of Europe and Japan. The world is a big place. If you ever figure out what you're looking for, then use this thread to gather links to retailers where you can get it. Then shop those sites for the best prices. Then once you have found the lowest 2 or 3 prices, you can then come back to the forum and post "hey, I'm looking to buy 'X' DVD and I found it really cheap at store 'X' - is this a good place to buy from? Anyone have problems with them?" If you did that, we would all get along just fine. That's what everyone else here does in terms of shopping for DVDs. Outside of that there have been a few threads about topics such as "Where do you buy most of your R2 DVDs?"

Although I love the idea of this sticker, I find it also kind of ridiculous in the fact that people expect newcomers to go through these many links and pay money to online retailers in hopes that they will be reliable.
We expect newcomers to hit the sticky posts first and then try using the search function to see if what they are about to ask has been discussed already. That's not rediculous... what's rediculous is that new people come in thinking their question is going to be so new and profound that it's never been discussed here before and then they get upset when their post gets shut down by a moderator. It's really easy to get along here and there's alot of information to be had as well. You just have to do a little more work yourself before asking your questions (which have to be developed a little more as well). All you need to do is a little shopping and get a little more specific with your questions - like "Which Japanese etailer typically has the best prices on live action movies?" instead of "Where in outer space is this needle in the haystack? And I won't even tell you what needle I'm looking for, but you have to tell me what haystack it is in."

Last edited by Trigger; 06-22-02 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-22-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OT: Benedict, Quick Question

Hey,

What's your email address? Did you change it? I tried emailing you three times at: [email protected] and all three were unable to be sent.

Is your email temporarily down? Let me know as I have something to email you about. Thanks.
Old 06-22-02, 04:24 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the @dvdtalk address is down and you need to email try [email protected] .