Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What is the best kind of tv for watching regular cable?? Please help

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to get a new tv. What kind of tv is best for watching regular cable programming? I heard that an rptv will make my cable picture look worse than my ancient 20" tv/vcr combo. Is this true? I can not get direct tv, and i heard digital cable isn't worth getting. Can someone please help?
Old 02-13-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For regular cable, I'd say a 27" flat tube tv is the way to go. Anything bigger will just show the poor quality of the source.
Old 02-13-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was hoping to get something bigger. Is there anything additional that i could purchase to make the picture better?(like an antenna)
Old 02-13-02, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not really. You may be able to go for a 32 or 36" set but again the bigger the TV, the worse a poor signal will look.
Old 02-14-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What is the best kind of tv for watching regular cable?? Please help

Originally posted by chrisih8u
I need to get a new tv. What kind of tv is best for watching regular cable programming? I heard that an rptv will make my cable picture look worse than my ancient 20" tv/vcr combo. Is this true? I can not get direct tv, and i heard digital cable isn't worth getting. Can someone please help?
What's an RPTV?
Old 02-14-02, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

RPTV=Rear Projection TV
Old 02-14-02, 07:48 AM
Banned

My Samsung Dynaflat Tv has a 3 stage digital comb filter and digital noise reduction for the picture which makes up for my otherwise grainy cable TV signal. Make sure whatever TV you buy has these features.
Old 02-14-02, 08:23 PM

My 32" RCA direct view looks great with standard cable, in fact, I just got done watching CSI and was marvelling at what I great picture I got for less than $500. As icondude mentioned, a 3 stage combe filter and some kind of "noise" reduction is a must. Likewise, my parents have a 32" Sony Trinitron that looks great. While I am a big home theater fan, I don't buy the notion that you need a large flat screnn with satellite based T.V. to enjoy viewing or get a decent picture.
Old 02-16-02, 10:04 PM

I have a 27" Samsung Dyna-Flat TV up stairs and I have to say it does a great job with cable TV. It has every kind of connection you could ever want, including component video. As said earlier this set has comb filters to clean up the picture so the Samsung gets my vote.
Greg
Old 02-17-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I used to have a 46" 4:3 then upgraded to the 55" 16:9. I have to agree that regular cable looks pretty crappy on RPTV. It was tolerable with the 4:3 but when I set up my HT I am closer to the screen and the signal looks even worse.
Old 02-17-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I were you I would look into Digital Cable. It is not as good as Sat, but it should improve your picture. I also believe that every TV has a comb filter, but with DVD, Digital Cable, or Sat with an S-Video or better connection it is not used. (The signal is already pre-filtered)