Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Deal on XBox console?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-02, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deal on XBox console?

Thinking of getting an XBox, and can't find anyone online for less than $299. Anyone know of any REPUTABLE online stores that sell it below $300? I know that $300 is set by Microsoft, but there's gotta be a rebel place out there willing to take a little extra profit? Or some coupon deals?

TIA!
Old 02-02-02, 05:33 PM

The problem is that Microsoft takes a LOSS of anywhere from $25-$110 (depending on the source and the accounting used) per Xbox console sold. The price to DEALERS is $280, and I have a tax id number and deal with wholesalers. There is no money to be made on consoles of Xbox, gamecube, and ps2, but especially xbox due to the high price and high cost. Anyway, if you order online it makes returning a bad console difficult, and you will have to pay shipping to you in the first place. If you really want it, just bite the bullet and buy it new at your local store, or go on Ebay and buy an xbox package that someone is listing. You will probably get basically a free game by bidding on Ebay, but then you have to deal with someone and they might not be on the up-and-up. I recommend at least taking a look at Ebay though. Good Luck!!
Old 02-02-02, 05:44 PM
Mod Emeritus

Sadly, the best deal for the Xbox has come and gone.... I'd get it at Best Buy and get the cheapest warranty they sell, also, just in case.
Old 02-02-02, 11:10 PM

I was at my local DVD/Gamers store at the mall about 3 weeks ago. They were selling the Xbox for $360 by itself no games or extra controller. A girl I know, just started working there and told me that some MS reps came in and confiscated all the Xbox merchandise and told the owner that they would see him in court.

I didn't know if the story was true so I went down there and sure enough, all of the Xbox products and displays were gone. I asked the salesman there about the court thing and he said he couldn't comment on it.

If it's true I hope the courts drill this guy a new one and MS ends up owning the store!!!

WAY TO GO MS!!!

That price gouging crap really ticks me off!!
Old 02-02-02, 11:58 PM

GALLANTPIG said "I'd get it at Best Buy and get the cheapest warranty they sell, also, just in case."

Question...are there quite a few problems with these units failing already? If that's the case, I don't want one. I NEVER buy extended warranties on electronics! If it needs one it was poorly engineered!
Old 02-03-02, 12:22 AM
Mod Emeritus

blackjack, I haven't seen any of the problems and to be honest best buy has a 60 or 90 day warranty that should cover any real problems, but if you can get a decent warranty for $40, i'd say go for it, just for some mental comfort.