Old 01-07-02, 12:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playstation 2 vs. Dreamcast

Which is the better game console?
Old 01-07-02, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I voted PS2 because even though there is more game available for the DC (if you don't count PS1 games). there are more games *I* like on the PS2.
Old 01-07-02, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At this point, the PS2 is better, IMO.
Old 01-07-02, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
PS2 is a more powerful and versatile system, but Dreamcast is a far better value. Graphicswise, they are fairly close and the game libraries are both pretty good - biggest difference at this point would be price.
Old 01-07-02, 03:30 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

DC will go down in video game history as the gem that got away
Old 01-07-02, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger

Graphicswise, they are fairly close
This was true a year ago, but the current crop of games on the PS2 blow the DC out of the water.

6 months ago, I would have said the DC, hands down. But the games have finally caught up with the hype on the PS2.
Old 01-07-02, 08:57 AM

Playstation 2, very very easily. If you want to talk about values thoguh, DC very very easily.
Old 01-07-02, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
PS2 has now passed the DC by.
Old 01-07-02, 10:43 AM
Retired

I loved the Dreamcast, but the PS2 has finally passed it by. The PS2 has always had the advantage in power,and definitely has a better controller (the DC's controller is almost as bad as the X-box's and is the only thing I hated about the system). The difference is that their are finally a bunch of great games out for the PS2. GT3, GTA3, Tekken Tag, MGS2, Soul Reaver 2, Devil May Cry, FFX, and so on, that put it on top. If you never picked up a DC, I'd suggest getting both if you can afford it. There is a great game library for the DC for those who haven't alreadly played most of them. But if you can only get one of the two, and you don't have an X-box or Gamecube, go with the PS2. It has a great lineup, and most importantly, it's not a dead console. I'd don't see why anyone would buy a dead system to be their only console. Every gamer should have at least one of the next-gen consoles.
Old 01-07-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd don't see why anyone would buy a dead system to be their only console. Every gamer should have at least one of the next-gen consoles.
Primarily due to cost, both of ownership & games. I just received a DC for Christmas, and I asked primarily due to cost/value. I could not justify a next gen console with my current situation. The cost of the console itself and due to cost of games. I have picked up several DC games (I have limited time to play them now also, but figured I'd pick them up before they get really scarce.) for cheaper than one next gen console game. I also have friends who had a DC but are now moving on to the next gen consoles, so games, extra hardware are easy to come by that way also.

Anyway, for a person that likes specific genres of games, etc and doesn't always have to have the latest generation of something a previous generation console can be a good fit ...

Old 01-07-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i voted dreamcast. true the ps2 is finally coming into its on but there are more games on the dreamcast that I like to play then the ps2
Old 01-07-02, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Long live the DC a truly versatile and legendary gaming console. Sega may you suffer long like you have made all of your consumers do for the last fifteen years, constantly turning your back on your consoles and your customers.
Old 01-07-02, 02:50 PM

I love my Dremcast. I am a hugh Sega Sports fan, and I like arcade games. Dreamcast seemed perfect for me after I owned Saturn, but then once again I had another dead system. So for this poll I put in a vote for PS2. My reasons are, because over all I am feed up with Sega consoles that are no longer supported! Also PS2 has a lot of good games out and coming out for it. If a year ago you asked me this question, then I would have voted DC.
Old 01-07-02, 11:24 PM

http://www.dcemulation.com/article-ps2vsdc.htm

Check this article out. I don't agree with it completely, but the facts can't be disputed. I choose dreamcast personally because I play it more and seem to have more fun with it.
Old 01-08-02, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Cisco Kid
http://www.dcemulation.com/article-ps2vsdc.htm

Check this article out. I don't agree with it completely, but the facts can't be disputed. I choose dreamcast personally because I play it more and seem to have more fun with it.
Exactly - the facts speak for themselves... I too don't agree when he starts in on the opinions, but facts is facts.
Old 01-11-02, 02:15 PM

This is like comparing apples and oranges...

I like them both.... The PS2 has the technological lead in terms of raw power and graphics ability over the DC but the DC is no slouch either..

...and the DC is an absolute bargain right now! For the price of a PS2 and one game, you can have a DC with like 15 excellent quality games, an extra controller, memory card and tremor pak!!

Heck, the Dreamcast even does progressive scan (via VGA output) and has more 16:9 games than the Sony does.. but the Sony probably has the largest software game library ever in a console--remember it cam play PS1 games too..

--mike
Old 01-11-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I voted for PS2. I just simply like the games better
Old 01-13-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I voted Dreamcast. Picked one up 9/9/99 and I still play it to this day. I just love the arcade titles and the variety of games for this system. Picked up a PS2 last year and sold it nine months later because I thought most of the games were dull. The PS2 is better hardware, but it took over a year after its debut for the games to finally reflect it. Perhaps if games were still being produced for Dreamcast game developers would find new things to do with Dreamcast software and/or hardware to compete graphically with the PS2.
Old 01-13-02, 01:27 PM

Shenmue showed what the Dreamcast could really do.
Old 01-13-02, 06:22 PM

Dreamcast, no contest. I would say that the Dreamcast blows away not only the PS2, but also the Removed console bash and Gamecube.

Best controllers, best game library, cheapest, hobbyist-development scene, the list goes on and on.

Little wonder they are sold out everywhere.
Old 01-13-02, 07:14 PM
Registered

porieux: NO CONSOLE BASHING!

See: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=172249
Old 01-13-02, 11:30 PM

porieux: NO CONSOLE BASHING!
Well, I'm not going to argue with you for obvious reasons, I just thought the point of a thread like this was to give one's opinion, which I felt I was doing in an amusing way No harm intended.
Old 01-14-02, 02:00 AM

Read the article that cisco kid posted... While I'm not up on all the technical aspects of either console, I did find it amusing how he said we'd never see open roaming games like Crazy Taxi or Shenmue on the PS2. I guess he feels a bit silly for saying that now since we have Grand Theft Auto 3, you can also get Crazy Taxi for the PS2, and I've heard Shenmue 2 is in the works for the PS2. It is too bad that Sony went with only 4 megs of VRAM for some reason. Any idea why they did that?

Brian