Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Shunmue 2 and Xbox exclusive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-02, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shunmue 2 an Xbox exclusive?

A while back (i couldn't find the thread), someone had mentioned that Shenmue II would be an Xbox exclusive, and not released on dreamcast in the US. I was wondering if anybody knew anything more about that, or could point me to a good source. I have been toying with the idea of getting the import for my dreamcast, but I wanted to know how long I would have to wait for the Xbox version and specs if they exist.

Thanks...

Last edited by huh?; 01-04-02 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-04-02, 11:01 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is definitely not coming to the DC in the U.S., but you can import the European version.

I don't think a date has been announced for the X-box version yet, and there has also been a rumor that it will be coming to the Gamecube as well. MS did buy the rights to it, but that often doesn't mean anything. Case in point, Dead or Alive 2 was supposed to be a DC exclusive, but when the PS2 came out they shipped over there, changing little more than adding "Hardcore" to the title. So DOA2 was technically still exclusive to the DC as the PS2 had a "different" game in DOA2 Hardcore. If Shenmue II comes to the Gamecube, I imagine it will be a similar scenario.
Old 01-04-02, 11:07 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Yes, it only means that if Sega decides to release it on another console, they would have to give the truckload of money for the exclusive rights back to Microsoft.

And the release date for Shenmue II is currently October 1st 2002. Those improvements take a while.
Old 01-04-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Flay
Yes, it only means that if Sega decides to release it on another console, they would have to give the truckload of money for the exclusive rights back to Microsoft.
I wouldn't be so quick to believe everything you hear.

Good ol' Bill and his Microsoft monster would like you to also believe that HALO is a xbox exclusive (just check the packaging/marketing)...

... but Bungie has said numerous times, that HALO will come out as a PC title with better framerates, and more online features.

HALO had been in production as a PC title for over the past 2 1/2 years. It was featured at numerous game shows, including the last two E3 expos in Los Angeles. That's just one of the little things Bill doesn't want you to hear about.

-k
###
Old 01-04-02, 11:33 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

LOL!

The PC version of Halo is no secret. But you will never see Halo on another console. So, it is exclusive as far as the XBox is concerned.

Unless you consider the PC to be a console.

As far as Shenmue is concerned:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...817507,00.html

And I QUOTE: " Under the terms of the agreement, Microsoft has secured the rights to market, sell, and distribute the ONLY version of Shenmue II for the US market.
Old 01-04-02, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

import the uk version. have it and love it. eb is selling it for 69.99 with boot disk which is a rip off imo. the boot disk is free and sites like gameplay (i think thats it) has it for 46 and ncsx has for 49.
Old 01-04-02, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Flay
The PC version of Halo is no secret.
That all depends on who you ask, and what circles you travel in.

-k
###
Old 01-04-02, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by joshhinkle
It is definitely not coming to the DC in the U.S., but you can import the European version.

I don't think a date has been announced for the X-box version yet, and there has also been a rumor that it will be coming to the Gamecube as well. MS did buy the rights to it, but that often doesn't mean anything. Case in point, Dead or Alive 2 was supposed to be a DC exclusive, but when the PS2 came out they shipped over there, changing little more than adding "Hardcore" to the title. So DOA2 was technically still exclusive to the DC as the PS2 had a "different" game in DOA2 Hardcore. If Shenmue II comes to the Gamecube, I imagine it will be a similar scenario.
Sigh.

Again, the DC version of Dead or Alive 2 was never DC exclusive. Never. It wasn't even on DC in Japan until after the US PS2 version.
Old 01-04-02, 03:24 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Mattalos

Sigh.

Again, the DC version of Dead or Alive 2 was never DC exclusive. Never. It wasn't even on DC in Japan until after the US PS2 version.

I wasn't aware of that, I know I remember it being advertised as an exclusive though. I still wouldn't be surprised to see Shenmue II come to the GC, though I don't personally care as I hated the first one and it isn't the type of game that is going to sell many systems. I really don't see why MS would give Sega a "truckload of cash" for Shenmue though. It's a niche title. The first game sold well, but not great. It's not the type of exclusive game that's going to sell systems. MS needs to get some big system selling type exclusives (I.E. MGS2, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, etc.) not semi-popular games like Shenmue and Jet Grind Radio, that well sell well but aren't going to fly off the shelves, much less increase X-box sales dramatically.
Old 01-04-02, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mattalos
The hell it wasnt. They wiggled out of it at first by telling SOA that the exclusive only applied to the US and THEN they released it in Japan. I remember quite vividly the fallout in the gaming press.
Old 01-04-02, 03:54 PM
Retired

Originally posted by joltaddict

The hell it wasnt. They wiggled out of it at first by telling SOA that the exclusive only applied to the US and THEN they released it in Japan. I remember quite vividly the fallout in the gaming press.

That's what I thought, thanks Jolt. . He had me doubting myself there for a second as I didn't follow it that closely as I hate the DOA games.
Old 01-04-02, 04:31 PM
Mod Emeritus

If Shen Mue II isn't an exclusive, then no Sega games are exclusive. Bring on Monkeyball-X!
Old 01-04-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just buy it now at www.gameplay.co.uk or check your local Electronics Boutique store, thats what I did. And the boot disk is free. It will be a long time until the xbox version comes out, and in my opinion, even though I love the game, its not the type of game I'd wait a whole year for just for the enhancements, by then you will have forgotten the story and characters (which is the reason why I like the game). Import it now and you will get to play it well in advance as well. Its also a pretty fun experience getting import games and a useful thing to know how to do. I'm planning on getting Head Hunter for DC next, now that I had a good experience getting this game.

If you played the first shenmue and have your saved game, sistasoulja started an awesome thread on how to convert your saved game to UK so you an use it on Shenmue II.

Gamespot also has a good review of the import game here if you have any doubts.
Old 01-04-02, 05:28 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
If Shen Mue II isn't an exclusive, then no Sega games are exclusive. Bring on Monkeyball-X!
Actually Monkeyball (not Super Monkey Ball) has been rumored to be coming to the PS2 and/or X-box. The "Super" is missing from the title because it would just be the "Main Game" and none of the "Mini Game" or "Party Games." In otherwords, it would just be the same game found in arcades.
Old 01-04-02, 05:44 PM
Mod Emeritus

Or else they could come up with different party games and mini games.
Old 01-04-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

MS needs to get some big system selling type exclusives (I.E. MGS2, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, etc.) not semi-popular games like Shenmue and Jet Grind Radio, that well sell well but aren't going to fly off the shelves, much less increase X-box sales dramatically.
I just bought the original for my new DC and haven't played it yet so my opinion is not informed on the franchise yet, but maybe they are looking to pull in those people with a DC that haven't purchased one of the new consoles. Everything I've read about the original seems that people either love it or hate it ... those that love it may well buy a new console to get it ...

Old 01-04-02, 05:52 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Or else they could come up with different party games and mini games.
That's a possibility, I was just going by the articles I read discussing the rumor, which said it would just be the main game.
Old 01-04-02, 05:55 PM
Retired

Originally posted by sniper308

Everything I've read about the original seems that people either love it or hate it ... those that love it may well buy a new console to get it ...
It's definitely a love hate game. It will sell some X-boxes, it's just not a huge exclusive, i.e. Final Fantasy, that would be worth spending a "truckload of money" to buy exclusive rights on IMO. Plus I bet most of the hardcore fans of the original have already bought the UK version of Shenmue II, I know several members here have.
Old 01-05-02, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by joltaddict

That's my point. It was never going to be exlcusive ... They knew they were releasing it on launch with PS2 in the US (which happened to be a little over the "6 month" time period that exclusives last).

It was like this:

PS2 DoA 2 Japan
DC DoA 2 US
PS2 DoA 2 US
DC DoA 2 Japan

Or maybe your post is just confusing to me...
Old 01-05-02, 02:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

Can we agree if Sega does decide to put this game out, it will be a while after the XBox version and probably not as good?