Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Alternative Nation vs. 120 Minutes and MTV Alterantive

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Which one was better?
Alternative Nation
0%
120 Minutes
78.57%
Both had great features about them
21.43%
I don't like alternative music
0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-02, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which was your favorite alt. rock show on MTV or was it both equally as good? Pinfied vs. Kennedy? Who will win? Who wishes that Alternative Nation and 120 Minutes were back with re-runs (I know 120 minutes is still around on MTV2)? Who wishes that there should be another MTV that just shows alternative rock instead of MTVX or whatever?
Old 01-03-02, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My sister and I would stay up or record 120 Minutes every week back before Pinfield was host (was it Dave Kendall?). I loved that each show featured a live performance and interview with great alternative bands/musicians. Growing up in small towns made 120 Minutes my only window into the world of what I considered good music.

Alternative Nation was a decent show, but it seemed to primarily feature more of the radio friendly alternative.
Old 01-03-02, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PRE-Pinfield/Kendall 120 Minutes.
Old 01-03-02, 10:44 PM

Yes, Pre-pinhead, er... Pre-Pinfield 120 mins. I used to record this every sunday night.

Though, I thought Kennedy was great too.
Old 01-05-02, 09:49 PM

The Dave Kendall version of 120 Minutes was by far the best- it was kinda like hanging out with a friend and just listening to music. Pinfield always seemed like a pompous ass who was name dropping and giving a lecture on alternative music.

Just my two cents.
Old 01-06-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about those few episodes of 120 Minutes hosted by Greg Dulli and Donal Logue??!
Old 01-06-02, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...it was kinda like hanging out with a friend and just listening to music.
Albeit a friend with a very fake English accent.

I do recall the Logue/Dulli pairing. The time they re-enacted all those movie scenes was priceless.
Old 01-06-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, here's my Pinfield impersonation. I 'wrote' this a while ago. (It kind of wrote itself; I do believe the spirit of Pinfield was in me at the time.) Imagine this taking place within a 30-second time span.

That was of course the video for the Cocteau Twins' "Heaven or Las Vegas," which is off the album of the same name. As you might know, the Cocteau Twins were pioneers of the dream pop sound, a style of artful pop music influenced by U2 producer and Roxy Music member Brian Eno with lots of guitar effects. The term dream pop was allegedly coined by Rudy Tambala and Alex Ayuli of AR Kane during an interview in the late '80s, but it's said that the Cocteau Twins, who had a significant influence on AR Kane, were honing this style in the early '80s, several years before AR Kane released their Jesus and Mary Chain-influenced debut single. Rudy and Alex were part of the side project collaboration called M/A/R/R/S with members of Colourbox, who released the classic late '80s dance single "Pump up the Volume," a title that was used for a movie starring Christian Slater. You guys should check out the awesome soundtrack to that movie, 'cause it has songs by all these great alternative acts like [counting on fingers] Concrete Blonde, the Pixies, Sonic Youth and even gangsta rappers Above the Law. But what's most significant about that soundtrack is Henry Rollins' collaboration with long time favorites Bad Brains -- who were totally awesome -- on an awesome version of the MC5's "Kick Out the Jams."

But getting back to the Cocteau Twins, they formed in Grangemouth, Scotland in the late '70s and named themselves after an early Simple Minds song. What was odd about the Cocteaus was that they were influenced by bands that sounded nothing like them, bands like the Birthday Party -- who ended up morphing into the totally awesome Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds -- and the Pop Group, who weren't a pop group at all. Along with other bands like the Associates and Josef K, the Cocteau Twins helped put Scotland on the post-punk map in the early '80s. In fact, the Associates' Alan Rankine, who would later make solo records of his own later on in the '80s, produced one of the Cocteaus' early singles. Although the Cocteau Twins were big fans of Rankine's band, it's said that the Cocteaus' Robin Guthrie -- who went on to produce and remix phenomenally awesome bands like Lush, the Gun Club, Felt, and the aforementioned AR Kane -- vowed to never have his music produced by another person again.

Rankine, as it turns out, would end up teaching music business courses in Scotland. A young man by the name of Stuart Murdoch was a student of his at one point, who was given the assignment to make a record. That record wound up becoming Belle and Sebastian's fabled Tigermilk LP. As a tragic side note, Rankine's partner in the Associates, operatic vocalist Billy Mackenzie, committed suicide in the late '90s. As a less tragic side note, it's said that Morrissey wrote the classic Smiths single "William It Was Really Nothing" with Mackenzie in mind. Mackenzie, of course, falls in line with a number of singers from his era like [counts on fingers] the Sound's Adrian Borland, INXS' Michael Hutchence, and Joy Division's Ian Curtis that tragically took their own lives. Of course, I guess, we really don't know the full details of Hutchence's death. But I once tried something like that while I was on a bus with Marilyn Manson en route to a gig in Fargo and I must say it was quite painful and not very awesome at all.

Coming up next in MTV's Salute to 120 Minutes is "Wonderwall" by Oasis. Oasis, as most of you know, were discovered during a gig at King Tut's Wah-Wah House by maverick label entrepreneur Alan McGee, who was then running Creation Records. McGee, who now runs the awesome Poptones label, which is named after the first song on Public Image Limited's awesome Metal Box record -- or Second Edition, as it is known in the U.S. -- eventually signed the band and became a millionaire. Oddly enough, McGee once tried out for Simple Minds as a bass player and didn't win the position.

Anyway, we have Oasis, Stone Temple Pilots, and Sponge on the way during MTV's Salute to 120 Minutes. Stick around for interview footage with Frank Black, Lou Reed, and a twenty-minute highlight reel focusing on Victoria Williams' illustrious career. Stay tuned.
Old 01-06-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Pikul
Okay, here's my Pinfield impersonation. I 'wrote' this a while ago. (It kind of wrote itself; I do believe the spirit of Pinfield was in me at the time.) Imagine this taking place within a 30-second time span.

And contrast that with the inimitable interviewing style:

Pinfield: Welcome back to 120 Minutes... We're talking with Mick, Danny and Toff from Orange Phallus, whose newest release is "The Left Side is Tingling" on Gone Tomorrow Records. So guys, what was it like working with legendary producer Guido Weinstein?

Danny: (stares at the ground)

Mick: It was... cool.

Pinfield: Yeah?

Mick: Yeah, cool.

Pinfield: Awesome.

Toff: Pretty cool.

Pinfield: That's awesome.

Danny: (becomes fascinated by part of the set)

Toff: Definitely cool.

Pinfield: Cool.

Mick: There were times when it wasn't that cool, you know? No, overall it was cool.

Danny: (farts)

Pinfield: That's awesome. I wanna thank you guys for stopping by... Definitely check out "The Left Side is Tingling" as well as all the old stuff like "Smurf Soup", "Why, Part 3", "Scrod" and their debut "The Orange Phallus and Nico", which you can borrow from their mother. We'll see you next week when our guests will be Beth Noodleman and Monkeyspank. Thanks again, guys.

Last edited by dork; 01-06-02 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-06-02, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Pikul

Albeit a friend with a very fake English accent.

I do recall the Logue/Dulli pairing. The time they re-enacted all those movie scenes was priceless.
Was it really? LOL! I don't know that I really liked Kendall all that much, but your impersonation of Pinhead really sums up why I don't like his style.
Old 01-06-02, 07:04 PM

Anyone remember the parody of Matt Pinfield that was at the start of Bloodhound Gang's "Fire Water Burn" video? All I remember it started with someone they dressed up like Pinfield saying "Welcome back to 120 midgets..." and he starts talking about some topic and then makes a chain of about 10 different music connections where he ends up talking about the same thing he started with. I tried searching for a transcript or video clip on the web but couldn't find anything.

The thing I remember most about Pinfield was a few times I'd catch little mistakes in what he was saying, like... "That was Hole with "Miss World" off their debut album(???) 'Live Through This'".

But, my favorite 120mins. episodes were always the ones where they had a good musical guest in the studio hosting. I've never bought a Henry Rollins album in my life, but I've got a lot of respect for him after seeing him host 120mins a couple times. Same goes for Anthony and Flea from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers- I remember them being pretty funny together as hosts.
Old 01-06-02, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pretty much wasted many a Sunday night watching 120 Minutes when Kevin Seal and, later, Dave Kendall (and his toupee) were hosts. My favorites had to be the 'interviews' between Kendall and John Lydon... classic.

The Lewis Largent, Matt Pinfield eras, ugh... Don't get me started.
Old 01-06-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Half the time Pinfield was just making things up anyway...
Old 01-08-02, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know where I can get playlists from these two television shows? I would have to look at them to find my secret memories of Alternative rock.