Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

A K-mart story to make you laugh

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-01, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This morning before i went to work my mom and i walk into k-mart down the block from our house to pick up Rush Hour 2 and Jurassic Park 3 widescreen. I ask the guy in the electronics section if he has them and he said yes and he would go get them. He comes back in and says he cant get in because the manager isnt here yet and the manager put a key lock on the door which he must have the key for. Two other guys try there keys, but they cant get in. It wasnt the regular employees fault, they were nice guys who had idiots for managers. So once again im about to walk out . I just didnt feel like going all the way to bestbuy to get 2 movies, so this time i was going to try k-mart. We are about to leave, and My mom sees 3 guys in suits with clipboards and she asks the guy in the department who those guys were. Turns out one is the District Manager, and the guy helping us called him over . So my mom explains the problem, and the district manager says he will take care of it, he tells the 3 employees which he is friendly with in the department to "Get these people those movies please, I dont care how you get into that room". Then he says to us "you will never have this problem again, ill make sure of it". So im waiting. All of a sudden i hear something hit the floor. I turn and see a one of the nice guys who was helping us with a lock cutter. I started laughing because it was the funniest thing i have ever seen. The guy cutting was laughing also. They gave me my Rush Hour 2 and Jurassic Park 3 widescreen copies and i was on my way. The employees there were laughing because to get stock they had to cut the lock off. Some manager didn't have a good day when they got into work. I usually dont make a scene. i would have just walked out, but enough is enough with these crappy k-mart stores in my area. Everyone i go to is run by morons.

Capt
Old 12-12-01, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great story! And they even had WIDESCREEN JP3!!
Old 12-12-01, 10:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

yeah that is funny. did they give u a discount? i never really like kmart because they always lock away their video games and dvds behind a glass shelf.
Old 12-13-01, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by IC_Freeze
yeah that is funny. did they give u a discount? i never really like kmart because they always lock away their video games and dvds behind a glass shelf.
The KMart by me is very strange. Some DVDs are kept behind the counter, others are out on the shelf for anyone to grab. The ones that are behind the counter, they had taken one copy, sliced the plastic open, removed the dvd, and put the case back on the shelf (half the plastic still on the package.) Very messy looking... First time I walked over there, I thought someone had stolen all the discs and didn't want to be accused of it so I just turned tail and left that area.

Security tags still stuck to the top of the cases, just the side is slit open. Very crappy looking.
Old 12-13-01, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good story, although I was hoping it would end with they only had full frame versions and so you didn't end up buying them after all that!

The only KMarts around here don't lock away their DVD's, they tend to scatter them willy nilly about the electronics dept. mixed with video games, VHS, and pretty much anything else that sits on a shelf. Pretty sad.
Old 12-13-01, 04:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Well I can't blame the K-mart for the extra security measures...after all, I understand Winona Ryder was seen in the area!
Old 12-13-01, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually as it was happening I realized there were two versions and thought they would only have JP3 full screen after all of that and i would only get Rush Hour 2. At first he brought out a full screen version but i asked if he could get me a widescreen. And he brought it out with the Rush Hour 2 DVD so i breathed a sigh of relief. Saves me a trip to bestbuy . Also it wasnt locked behind a glass case . It was in there stock room. The night guys forgot to put them out since they went on sale starting tuesday. Usually all there dvd's are in this one isle where they have this new dvd shelf system.

Capt
Old 12-15-01, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The video games in my K-mart are atrocious. It looks like they just throw them in on top of each other and some of them are even in so all you can see is the bottom of the case. Horrible looking.
Old 12-17-01, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 12-20-01, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had an interesting Kmart adventure this morning also. I went to purchase an item that my 3 year old asked Santa for (when he went to sit on his knee at the mall) that he had not really mentioned to us before (so at this pont to preserve belief in Santa, I have to get it). After checking the web (just for price expectation, with no thought of being able to get it here in time) I found the item for 29.99 at Target.com. So I thought great, I'll call some targets and see if they have it, and if they'll match the web if not already the same price.

Of course, they don't have it at any store close to me, so I decide to start checking other close stores and low & behold one of my least favorite stores Kmart has it (but for $49.99) and they are close to me. So I print out a nice copy of the Target.com page and take it to my local Kmart, expecting to possibly have a problem but figuring why not try.

So I show them my printout and explain that Target is a local competitor, and while this is a print from the web this is their price, also. Well they say we have to call and verify, since this is an internet price, etc and then after 20 minutes they can't get anyone from Target to answer, etc. So they say we can't match it.

Then I see their price matching policy in big letters: "Find the item cheaper at a local competitor and we'll match the price on your word alone, no questions asked." I couldn't believe my eyes, so I ask to speak to a manager. And he begins to argue with me, so I point out the sign, to which he replies "But you have an internet ad, that's different". So I throw the printout in the garbage right in front of him, and say "No I don't". I say "Target is a local competitor and their price is $29.99, you have my word on it". He promptly according to their policy agrees and they pricematched the item!

It was amazing to see the reversal after pointing out their policy.
It was worth the time to see that and to save the $20.