Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Handheld Video Game Solution???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-01, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handheld Video Game Solution???

I travel a lot for business and as you can imagine the plane flights can be plenty boring. Typically I play some games on my Palm, but that get boring too... I was thinking about buying a handheld video game unit... I used to have a gameboy and liked the play on it... I'm not sure if I should spend money on a GBA or go old-school and try and buy a Lynx off of ebay... Any suggestions?
Old 11-27-01, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

get the GBA. It has some really good games and plus you can play GBC games on it as well. Games are much easier to find than for the Lynx
Old 11-27-01, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are the games any good? Are they the same as GBC, but in color or are they really that much better.. What do games go for ($20-30??)
Old 11-27-01, 10:32 AM

Games played on the GBA for GBC can be played in the normal size or in a stratched mode (doesn't look that bad either). Most GBA games are $30-40

The games are really good! They're porting old games and remaking them, as well as making new original games!! That and the GBA has great graphics (about, if not better than the SNES)
Old 11-27-01, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a quick note again...
I just bought GBA from Virgin Mega Store in NYC yesterday for only $70, and Spider-man for $28
So, try to take advantage of the 30% with your Blue Card
Old 11-27-01, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My kid is getting a GBA for Christmas. His dear old dad will probably end up using it more than him. I already have a list of games to try before buying including:

Spider-Man: Mysterio
Tony Hawk
Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX
ESPN Final Round Golf 2002
X-Men: Reign of Apocalypse
Super Street Fighter II
Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits (I had all the originals!)

I might end up buying my own with the link system. Who knows?
Old 11-27-01, 12:39 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely get a GBA. The graphics are great for a handheld. Slightly better than the SNES. There are a ton of great ports/remakes/sequels to SNES games coming out for it, as well as a bunch of terrific original games. On top of this you can delve into the huge library of Game Boy and Game Boy Color games already out.
Old 11-27-01, 02:46 PM

Either one would be a good choice, in my opinion. The bad thing about the Lynx is that the batteries may only last about 5 hours, because it has a backlight. The GBA doesn't have a backlight, so it will last longer with batteries, but some games will be hard to see. Many good Lynx games can be bought brand new/shrinkwrapped for around $5 on eBay/Yahoo, while the new GBA games will cost considerably more. Of course, old regular GameBoy games can be found for cheap though. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 11-27-01, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

I just got Doom for the GBA this little handheld has some power. It is exactly like the pc version except dead guys disappear after a few seconds

I use it on planes all the time!