Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

help with Onkyo TX-DS484

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

help with Onkyo TX-DS484

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-01, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with Onkyo TX-DS484

Hi, I've got an the above mentioned receiver, a Panasonic RV-30 and a Sony SA-WM40. I'm trying to get either DD or DTS to be selected by my receiver while playing a dvd by pressing the Surround mode, all I get is Dolby Prologic, Stereo, and the other DSP's. For the receiver, i've done the speaker setup. setting subwoofer=yes, and everything else set to small. All speakers including subwoofer works by using the test tone on the remote control, so everything is hooked up correctly. For the dvd player,
the manual says that i should set PCM=YES, DD=Bitstream and DTS= Bitstream. I've got the sub plugged into the receiver and not the dvd player but i've got the s-video cable plugged from the dvd player to the tv. am i doing something wrong? i think i am. if i plug the sub into the dvd player, will my receiver still be able to choose DD? Really confused...

Thanks,
RaSeRuZ

ps. Also the composite cables, the L/R, or the red and white ones that do the audio, it's running from dvd player to receiver.

Last edited by raseruz; 11-20-01 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-20-01, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: help with Onkyo TX-DS484

Originally posted by raseruz
Hi, I've got an the above mentioned receiver, a Panasonic RV-30 and a Sony SA-WM40. I'm trying to get either DD or DTS to be selected by my receiver while playing a dvd by pressing the Surround mode, all I get is Dolby Prologic, Stereo, and the other DSP's. For the receiver, i've done the speaker setup. setting subwoofer=yes, and everything else set to small. All speakers including subwoofer works by using the test tone on the remote control, so everything is hooked up correctly.

Sounds good so far

For the dvd player, the manual says that i should set PCM=YES, DD=Bitstream and DTS= Bitstream. I've got the sub plugged into the receiver and not the dvd player but i've got the s-video cable plugged from the dvd player to the tv.
Your sub should be plugged into the receiver. That part is fine.
Sending the video via S-video directly to the TV is a good way to go, too. (a component video connection would arguably be preferable)

am i doing something wrong? i think i am. if i plug the sub into the dvd player, will my receiver still be able to choose DD? Really confused...
Thanks,
RaSeRuZ

ps. Also the composite cables, the L/R, or the red and white ones that do the audio, it's running from dvd player to receiver.
is that the only audio connection you have going between your DVD player and your receiver (the L/R audio cable)? If so, that is your problem. You're not sending a digital signal to the receiver (DD or DTS). Currently, it sounds like your receiver is only being sent an analog signal (which DPL is).

Make sure to connect your DVD player with a digital cable (optical or coaxial) in order to get DD or DTS sound.

Hope that helps

Last edited by edclem; 11-20-01 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-21-01, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Make sure to connect your DVD player with a digital cable (optical or coaxial) in order to get DD or DTS sound. "

Yep that's his problem... then he must choose in the Input Menu which one he's using. I think it asks you Coaxial/Optical in the menu.
Old 11-21-01, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

RaSeRuZ:

You have to select what audio input to use for the DVD on the Onkyo.

Are you using a Coaxial cable or Optical cable to connect the DVD to the Onkyo? If not, you have to, in order to get a digital signal to the Onkyo for DD 5.1 and/or DTS 5.1.

I think (going from memory here) that there is an input selector button to the left of the DVD button. You select which input to use as default. Choose whatever input you plugged the DVD player into the Onkyo and wish to use... COAX 1, COAX 2, Composite, Etc.. and you should be set! I think once you have selected the proper input, you hold down the DVD button on the front of the Onkyo and it sets that input for the default.

Leave the Sony Sub connected to the Onkyo as you already have it!!!

I'll check when I get to work today & e-mail you tonight, if you need to do something differently. Let us know about the type of digital connections you are using & if they are coaxial or optical.

Sincerely,

Sonicflood