Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Does Hollywood Video have sales for pre-viewed DVDs?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-01, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went into a Hollywood Video for the first time, to check out what they had and noticed their pre-viewed DVD selection was bigger than my local Blockbusters. The only problem was that most of them were $14.99 with only a few being $12.99, which is still a bit high.

So I was wondering if they have some kind of sales every now and then, like Blockbuster's $2 off one? If so, does anyone know when the next one is?

If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize.
Old 10-27-01, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i have honestly never seen a sale there. but like you said, much better selection for a few bucks more. plus basically every used dvd store in town is 13.99, so 12.99-14.99 at hollywood isnt too bad.
Old 10-27-01, 10:54 PM

Hollywood Video occasionally has sales where they price their titles at 20% off. So a typically $14.99 title would cost $11.99.

But I rarely have seen a $9.99 that would be reduced to $7.99 like Blockbuster does. Anyone know when the next Hollywood sale is going to take place?

One other way of getting a good deal at HV would be to use an Entertainment Book (the one with mostly restaurant discounts). They offer a $2-off on a previously viewed VHS or DVD.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-28-01, 02:48 AM

Working for Hollywood, I can confirm that we NEVER have sales on the Previously-Viewed DVDs. Our 20% off sales ALWAYS exclude the DVDs and if you've found a store that takes the 20% off of DVDs, you're lucky and should share the info with the rest of us... About the only sale I've heard of is the "Friends and Family Day" which they do every 6 months or so and we're due for one relativly soon... customers get 20% off and employees get 40% off... hehehe... anyway, hope this helps.
Old 10-28-01, 12:38 PM

2 for $20

I live in So Cal and the Hollywood Video in Burbank at the corner of Alameda and San Fernando Rd is selling the PV DVD"S 2 for $20. I asked the manager and he said it was a test. If you live in the area check it out.
818-845-0553 Hollywood Video
Old 10-29-01, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do they plaster the DVD with the Hollywood video logo? Or are they logo free? I'm sure this is different from store to store, but was just wondering. Thanks.
Old 10-29-01, 02:39 PM

No Logos

I was just at the Burbank, CA store today, no logos on the packages or discs still 2/20, But refer to my first post. This is a test, and as far as I know not all stores are running this promo. Hope this helps.
Old 10-29-01, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes the do-

However they are at the DVD only Hollywood DVD stores-(Atlanta has 1 and a few other cities do too)

however avoid Hollywood's DVD's like the plague-

the prices are more of a joke than Lackluster Video's..

and they mess up all the covers by sticking stickers directly on them - and most are missing all inserts---

not worth it --
Old 10-29-01, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by AtlDVD
and they mess up all the covers by sticking stickers directly on them - and most are missing all inserts---

not worth it --
---Inserts depend on what store you go to. Also, you can politely ask them to check to see if they can get you one. If I get home and there's no insert, I simply go back and get an insert. Also, the stickers only take a few seconds to peel off and they leave no residue. They're not really sticky.

I stopped buying many new DVDs, I just go there after about a month or two and pick it up for 5-10 bucks cheaper.
Old 10-30-01, 10:26 AM

I bought Spinal Tap there and removing the sticker messed up the printed insert - and I had to use goo gone to keep it from ripping-

It lightened up the black cover-

Hollywood rents the video in the case with the insert - thats why they are in such bad shape and lose the inserts.

Also many have tabs cut, etc.
Old 10-30-01, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by AtlDVD
Yes the do-

however avoid Hollywood's DVD's like the plague-

the prices are more of a joke than Lackluster Video's..

not worth it --
I also work part time there, and have a few suggestions about this.
  • yes, we were just required to do a case alteration witch involved really mangling some things(cutting snappers, placing labels on the covers, etc.) So, for titles older than about 3 months, the cases you get may suck. However, usually, we keep the inserts in the back, so if you simply ask, a csr or the manager will look for you. For newer titles, they come automatically with the sticker on the outside of the packaging, so there won't be an issue with the labels. Again, ask for the insert, and someone should be able to help you.
  • Pricing--our discs get re-priced, too. Just not that often. We recently had a number jump down to $9.99 and $12.99. The managers/Shift leaders are the ones that do the price lableing, and as busy as we are, sometimes it doesn't get done. Again, you need to ask.
  • Honestly, if you want a perfect disc with perfect stuff, you shouldn't be buying PV. However, since I started working there, I've bought probably 15 pv's, and they have all been in near perfect shape.

Honestly, if I sell someone a pv that could be messed up, I usually try to find them the inserts before they leave the store. However, if they keep the receipt, they can bring the dvd back. Seems like there really isn't a loser here.

Robyn
Old 11-01-01, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just to give you an idea of the pv dvd selection we have at our store--many at $14.99, others at $12.99 and 9.99...
3000 miles to graceland
102 dalmations
affliction
arlington road
autumn in new york
beach
bowfinger
chocolat
cthd
cast away
charlies anqels
down to earth
dracula
dracula 2000
dude where's my car
family man
hannibal
hollow man
legend of baqger vance
little nicky
lost souls
lucky numbers
mexican
miss congeniality
memento
pledge
enemy at the gates
tomcats
o brother where
someone like you
gift
blow
pollock
proof of life
random hearts
ravenous
red planet
run, lola run
save the last dance
scream 3
shadow of the vampire
snatch
space cowboys
star trek v. 8
supernova
talented mr. ripley
thin red line
drowning mona
drive me crazy
get carter
thirteen days
thomas crown affair
traffic
unbreakable
urban legends
exit wounds
valentine
vertical limit
wedding planner
mystery men
ninth gate
outsige providence
out of towners
pay it forward
perfect storm
save the last dance
man on the moon
meet the parents
eyes wide shut
what women want
whole nine yards
wonder boys
dungeons and dragons
election
eye of te beholder
being john malkovich
summer of sam
best in show
nurse betty
finding forrester
an extremely goofy movie
galaxy quust
sixth sense
men of honor
insider
nice guys sleep alone
bounce
contender
an ideal husband
stuart little
anywhere but here
drive me crazy
shaft
200 cigs
billy elliot
forces of nature
for the love of the game
story of us
almost famous
bw2
wonder boys
big mommas house
aliens se--no art
watcher
someone like you
spy kids
x-men
6th day
shanghai noon
driven
shaft(2000)
scary movie
lost souls
kingdom come
crocodile dundee in los angeles
almost famous
Old 11-01-01, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that there was a sale on previously viewed DVDs over this past July 4th weekend (or week), though it may have been in late June.

I can't remember the details, I just remembering that my nearby stores had nothing I really wanted, so I didn't go back when the sale started.