Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix Anyone still with them, have they gotten better?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 09-26-01, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 226 Likes on 164 Posts

As much as this company screwed up and lacked in service, I'm starting to miss the rentals as I'm not buying as much these days and don't frequent BB.

Has Netflix gotten better since their last price hike before the summer or are they always out of stock on new titles still?
Old 09-26-01, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For new just released titles, rentmydvd.com is better.

For obscure and niche titles, like HK films, Anime, ethnic, indies, foreign, etc. Netflix is still the only game in town (unless you live in a big city like SF or LA which has equivalent b&m rental stores).
Old 09-26-01, 07:21 PM

Just quit on Monday. Member since Dec 1999.

I only used Netflix for Anime, but for all practical purposes they've abandoned the genre. They ignored my email asking how what their plans were (its been 10 days). The CSR that had to process my cancellation claimed they are having difficulty reordering anime DVDs. If anime is your thing, check out their catalog. They do have an extensive back catalog, just don't expect anything newer than this spring.

OTOH, my friend is enjoying the heck out of the service. He orders stuff like the Sopranos, old TV programs, and movies (new releases and back catalog).

If they carry what you want to watch, I can't recommend them enough.
Old 09-27-01, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I continually question whether it's worth it, but would have a hard time finding many of the dvds I rent at a b&m. It's still a good value for me. In the past 5 weeks,despite a few days of delay during the 9/11 aftermath, I've received the following:
Panic
Start Up.com
Shadow Magic
The Luzhin Defence
Blow
The Caveman's Valentine
The Tailor of Panama
The Dish
Gormenghast,disc one
Man Ray(documentary)
And the Ship Sails On
Into the Arms of Strangers
Dr.T and the Women
Smiling Fish and Goat Fire
Dracula 2000
Le Dernier Combat.

This is with the 4 at a time, $25 rate.

Last edited by bdots48; 09-28-01 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-29-01, 11:45 AM

NetFlix Sucks and cheatting customer

They are sucks at fulfilling their agreements. Constantly having items on "Released to ship" for days. That's technically cheating.
Old 09-29-01, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Their time to ship out definitely is not as good as it used to be. Sometimes it's a good 2-3 days before they actually ship a DVD out. They aren't so hot on shipping immediately when you claim something is delayed getting back, too.

They still are a good source for a lot of DVD titles, though. Until a really good DVD rental place opens in my neck of the woods, I'm still going to use them to supplement rentals.
Old 09-29-01, 01:38 PM

I found out with Netflix, if the next movie in your que for shipping has a short or long wait, it will wait a few days to see if that movie becomes available before giving up and shipping the next available movie on your list. Best thing to do is make sure the first film on your list is also available now.
Old 10-03-01, 10:16 PM

I still love Netflix. I've always tried to avoid the "wait" in the queue by always making sure there is an available title next in line. Customer Service has been nothing less than stellar for anything I've had questions about. Really, I have no complaints whatsoever.
Old 10-04-01, 02:54 PM

My only problem with Netflix is...recently titles seem to be listed as RELEASED TO SHIP for days on end. Three weeks ago, "The Widow of St. Pierre" was listed this way on my account from Monday till Saturday. It was not actually shipped until I emailed them about it. Currently, "The Mummy Returns" has been listed as RELEASED TO SHIP for over 24 hours.
Overall, though, I really can't say too many bad things about Netflix. Besides, where else can I rent 12-15 DVDs a month for $40 plus tax?
Old 10-05-01, 12:33 AM

Almost 2 years with Netflix and lately they stink. Mailed a DVD from SF to San Jose on a Monday - DVD received Tuesday - #1 in queue available - released to ship Tuesday - SHIPPED Thursday (so they say) received following Monday. Way too slow, and way too many DVD's in long wait status. Funny how short waits and available now releases turn into long waits the day after you mail in a DVD.

Also they have discontinued their "Mature" genre, including much of the Hong Kong Category 3 stuff. They don't have all of the Something Weird releases any more, and the unusual foreign films are usually long wait - you'll be lucky to see 1 movie a week if they are always waiting for a long wait to come in.

But I'm still there as long as my average stays at least 12 per month, even though I have to watch some pure crap on occasion. Netflix has turned me on to some great stuff which I've then purchased, and has also saved me from buying lots of stinkers.
Old 10-05-01, 02:42 PM

BTW, has anyone been told by Netflix exactly why DVDs are now being listed as Released To Ship for days when previously it took less than 12 hours? I've emailed them the last two weeks (soon to be three) about this, and did receive an apology, but no explanation.
Old 10-05-01, 04:59 PM
Cool New Member

Here are my latest emails to their customer service and their replies. The DVDs in my queue stay "Released to ship" for several days now. If this continues I will cancel (member since Aug. 2000).

Me (Monday 9/24/2001):
Two movies in my queue has been "Released to ship" since noon last Thursday. What is going on?
Netflix:
Hello Henrik,

Thanks for your message.

I'm sorry to see that there was a delay in processing your shipment. Our records indicate that this order is in the Released to Ship Status. This order did not ship in a timely manner due to non-receipt or damaged DVDs from previous customers. However, we did not want to cancel this order since we are still expecting more copies to arrive shortly. If you do not want to wait until we receive additional copies of this title, you may notify us to cancel the processing of this movie at any time.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Jeff
NetFlix.com
Customer Service
Me (9/25/2001):
But there were two discs marked as "Released to ship". Were both of them really broken when they got back from previous customers? "Dune" is still "Released to ship" and if you don't have it, then please ship the next one in my queue.
Netflix (9/25/2001):
Hello Henrik,

I apologize for the processing delay of your movie. Usually the process from 'released to ship' to confirm shipment is within 24+hrs. However, the copy may become unavailable due to the quality of the DVD, and other inventory issues of the title that is picked while it is in the 'released to ship' status.

When we hold your movie in 'released to ship' status for more than a day, this means the system is holding your order. It is awaiting for the next batch of returns in case your order is available to ship to you. We want to be able to ship your top DVDs in your Queue without bypassing it for other titles lower than it.

If at any time you do not want to wait any longer, please let us know and we can cancel the process before it confirms shipment. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,
Girlie
NetFlix.com
Customer Service
Me (9/26/2001):
Hi,
I think you missed part of my point: please ship the next DVD in my queue. "Dune" has been "Released to ship" since last week. It is not acceptable!
- Henrik
Netflix (9/27/2001):
Hello Henrik,

Thanks for your message. I sincerely apologize for any confusion or frustration this has caused you. I have verified your account
information. Our records indicate that "Dune (1984)" was already shipped out by the time I received your email. Please feel free to return the title at your earliest convenience. Again, I am very sorry for the trouble.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to
contact us.

Thanks,
Donovan
NetFlix.com
Customer Service
Old 10-05-01, 08:39 PM

A reasonable person would expect that "released to ship" would mean that they had one in hand, not that they are hoping someone will return an unbroken DVD. In the time it took the CSR to reply to all those emails he could have sent out a couple dozen DVDs.

Here's a recent story about how the success of Netflix and their ties to BestBuy.

http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjo...xfindingl.html

Too bad you can no longer rent "Space Thing" at Netflix.
Old 10-05-01, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lost dvd's

It seems I have 2 lost DVD's in 3 months with netflix. The latest one I mailed back 2 weeks ago. I mailed 2 disks at once and 1 they received a week ago. The 2nd still shows as out.

There is no way it can be the postal service unless they are watching for netflix dvd's and stealing them. Anyone else been having "lost" dvd's lately?
Old 10-06-01, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Yaright
Just quit on Monday. Member since Dec 1999.

I only used Netflix for Anime, but for all practical purposes they've abandoned the genre. They ignored my email asking how what their plans were (its been 10 days). The CSR that had to process my cancellation claimed they are having difficulty reordering anime DVDs.
I talked with a CSR about anime and was told that they are having a major problem with people not returning it. It's one of the sections of the store with a significant disc loss. This is why they are slow to purchase new titles and replace the lost ones.

I have never had any trouble getting mainstream new releases. They also have enough obscure and niche titles to keep me happy for a while.

My major gripe is that I have a feeling disc returns come into their distribution center and sit for quite a while before they are processed. Even before the WTC mail slowdown, sometimes it would take 10-14 days for them to process a return and I live in the next state! This happens often enough that I think they must have hugh bins of unopened mail sitting around and not enough bodies around to process it. I hope they add more people as they expand.

Last edited by nekobus; 10-06-01 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-06-01, 07:02 AM

I don't use Netflix anymore. I quite about a year ago. In terms of lost DVD's in the mail I believe the DVD's are "lost" internally in their company if you know what I mean
Old 10-06-01, 01:22 PM

I'm guessing that the RELEASED TO SHIP wait is part of a new Netflix corporate policy to cut overhead and overall cost. Before the end of September I *never* had to wait more than 24 hours for shipment. Now it seems to take 72 hours, at the very least. It's obvious from their recent advertising blitz that the company is more interested in quantity than quality, and that's too bad....
Old 10-07-01, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
Let's see... after the WTC tragedy, I had some discs take two weeks to get to me, then suddenly, all the old stuff showed up and some stuff that only took two days to get to me. Now I've got one that hasn't shown up after 12 days. The "released to ship" business is lasting a day or two longer than it used to and its very annoying. Still, the good outweighs the bad, and for obscure titles (which is anything Blockbuster won't carry) , its the only game in town....
Old 10-08-01, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by me
Currently, "The Mummy Returns" has been listed as RELEASED TO SHIP for over 24 hours.
Overall, though, I really can't say too many bad things about Netflix.
Okay, so maybe I can say something bad about Netflix...."The Mummy Returns" has now been Released To Ship for *five* mailing days, "Lolita" for three days, and two John Woo movies for two. If this keeps up, I will have to cut down to 3 DVDs out, if not cancel my membership altogether. It's a shame, too, because I really do not want to quit, but good ole Netflix may force me to.
Old 10-09-01, 01:53 AM

Has this ever happened to you? My mailman, of all people, and of all things, OPENS my Netflix dvds!! Of course he doesn't take it, but he looks at them. He must be bored of his job.

Needless to say, I was furious, but I've never done anything about it because I don't want him to get angry and screw around with my other important mail like bills. So I say 70% of the time they're open, and I just ignore it. If he weren't so important, I'd smack him through the floor.

Last edited by ConanDestroyer; 10-09-01 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-09-01, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by ConanDestroyer
Has this ever happened to you? My mailman, of all people, and of all things, OPENS my Netflix dvds!! Of course he doesn't take it, but he looks at them.
Well, opening mail is *illegal*! In fact, it's a federal offense. Any mailman who is doing it should be reported to the USPS immediately so they can investigate and then prosecute.
Old 10-09-01, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Conan - kick his butt, then report him.
Like I have to tell Conan to kick anyone's butt.
Old 10-09-01, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ConanDestroyer
Has this ever happened to you? My mailman, of all people, and of all things, OPENS my Netflix dvds!! Of course he doesn't take it, but he looks at them. He must be bored of his job.

Needless to say, I was furious, but I've never done anything about it because I don't want him to get angry and screw around with my other important mail like bills. So I say 70% of the time they're open, and I just ignore it. If he weren't so important, I'd smack him through the floor.
Report him to the USPS. They will investigate him, trap his butt and then fire him. They take this kind of stuff really seriously.

Originally posted by mr_peepers
I'm guessing that the RELEASED TO SHIP wait is part of a new Netflix corporate policy to cut overhead and overall cost. Before the end of September I *never* had to wait more than 24 hours for shipment. Now it seems to take 72 hours, at the very least. It's obvious from their recent advertising blitz that the company is more interested in quantity than quality, and that's too bad....
Same here. We have always had "released to ship" titles ship in 24 hours or less. We always make sure the top 5 items in our queue are available. We now have 3 titles(which are basically always available)on "released to ship" status with a 3-4 day wait until they ship on all of them.

It seems they are really trying to restrict the number of discs we can watch in a month. We used to be able to watch 10-12 titles a month under the "old" system, but if this "cleared to ship" delay BS keeps up, we are going to dump them.

Last edited by nekobus; 10-10-01 at 03:45 AM.
Old 10-10-01, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 226 Likes on 164 Posts
Oh well, I had hoped they had gotten better but it looks like the same old same old from them. They were the best for a while a few years back but now they still suck.
Old 10-10-01, 01:12 PM

When I joined Netflix in January 2000, you got four movies at a time for $15.95 per month. Plus, once you were done with two of your movies and stuck them in the mailbox, all you had to do to release the next two was go to their website, log on and click you mailed them back. They didn't require any lag time and did not have them back in their possession. That meant within three or four days you had another movie. Then they decided they had to have it in their hands before they issued the next film, or at least have it delayed in shipping three days after you mailed it. That cut down on the number of movies you could see. Then they raised the price to $19.95. Then they raised the price to $24.95 and hold movies longer before releasing them. Also, there was a nice feature so if you wanted to buy a movie you could click on the site and get the price from a half dozen or so suppliers. Now they only give you Best Buy and half the time, Best Buy doesn't even offer the movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.