Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dreamcast problems!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-01, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dreamcast problems!?!?

I bought a DC right around the realese in 1999. Now it won't even play it's own games....I can only get cds to play in it. It won't load up any dreamcast games and I've tryed about 20 of them in it. I even played it the morning it broke....So I bought a lens cleaner cd but it still doesn't work. If you can help me that'll be great. I have like 60 games and would hate to have to buy it again.

Thanks.

Last edited by Thrillhouse; 08-21-01 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-21-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought mine on Day 3 and its worked fine ever since - it even survived a (short) fall to the floor. I dunno what could've happened to yours, and I haven't heard of any widespread problems. If you do have to buy another one, they really aren't that expensive nowadays.
Old 08-21-01, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have troubles with my DC too, I have no idea why but all of a sudden the cooling unit quit and now when I switch the system on it will cut out after about 15 seconds the first time I switch it on and just after the swirly any other time.

I'm just gonna buy a new one at Walmart and return my broken one. Now I only have to find a Walmart that still sells the DC.
Old 08-21-01, 05:27 PM
Cool New Member

The DC is not the most sturdy game system around. I've read many threads about them breaking, and it is usually the lens that fails. You can buy a replacement lens, but they run almost $60. My friend's DC broke after he took it with him on a trip, you really gotta baby them.

The local Gamestop at the mall had used DC's for $52 I think. And most stores now have them new for $79, I know Target does. Ebay is another good source if you don't mind doing the auction thing.

If you use backup games, the new ones at the store won't be able to read them, so you will have to either get a used system that is the right model #, or break out your original CD's.
Old 08-21-01, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What model # do you need to read backed upped games? I bought mine ealrier this yr with the Smash pack and I have a coupled of backed up games. It reads them ok. I like to use the MP3 player for it also
Old 08-21-01, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any machine manufactured before October 2000 can run them. I suggest buying used (I suggest buying used, anyway, because it's cheaper).
Old 08-22-01, 06:31 AM
Cool New Member

Model HKT-3020 is what mine is, the model # is located under the DC. Like Breakfast said, only models made after Oct. 2000 can't read the backups, but since they stopped making them all together, I hear if you are lucky you may find an older model left on the shelves. But, before you buy used, check the model # if you want to make sure you can play burned games.

I found a deal on Ebay 2 weeks ago, DC, 2 controllers, light gun and 8 games for $123. You can find better deals if you look for them.
Old 08-22-01, 09:15 AM

Mine will only play cd's and back ups??
Old 08-23-01, 02:54 AM

I actually dropped mine 5 feet (top of TV) to the floor last week. Thought for sure that I would have to buy another one but suprise...it worked fine. BUT, if I did have to get another one...I have seen them used for $45.
Old 08-23-01, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ReDsOx5048
Mine will only play cd's and back ups??
The lens may be out of adjustment. Just a guess.