Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive List of R0 NTSC HK DVDs?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Comprehensive List of R0 NTSC HK DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-01, 11:13 PM
Jad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done some cursory searching, and I can't seem to locate such a list. Does one exist? If not, any interest in compiling one? For the time being, I'm just looking to pick up one HK disc to get a taste. I'm more into Drama (like To Live and Farewell My Concubine, for example) than the Action that tends to dominate HK releases, so any recommendations along those lines would be great (I'm open to recommedations for Action and/or other genres, but I'd really prefer some Drama suggestions).

My priorities would be a good story (presented uncut), followed by extras (as this would be my first disc, extras would be nice, but aren't mandatory)... I'm also interested in HK releases of U.S. and other foreign films which are uncut, or different in terms of extras. Really, though, I'd love to see a list of HK R0 NTSC DVDs for future reference. I'm sure lots of people with cold feet would appreciate something like this too, to test the waters before taking a big plunge. Thanks for any and all help.
Old 07-05-01, 11:54 PM

Almost all Hong Kong DVDs of Hong Kong films are region 0 (meaning they can be played on any DVD player). Some of the Hong Kong DVDs of Japanese films, and others, are Region 3. However, you should have no problem playing most HK DVDs.
Old 07-06-01, 01:07 AM

Is there a list of 16X9 enhanced HK movies or are they of such poor quality that this feature is never used?
Old 07-06-01, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by codefree
Is there a list of 16X9 enhanced HK movies or are they of such poor quality that this feature is never used?
I don't believe I've seen an anamorphic HK disc - I have a standard tv, but I watch some on my PC - when I do this I can tell if it's anamorphic or not. I wouldn't say it's because they are poor quality. In fact, some HK discs can compete with the best US studios WRT sound, transfer, and extras.
Old 07-06-01, 03:27 AM

I've can only see 2 Hong Kong produced titles that have been anamorphically enhanced. As Tears Go By and Days of Being Wild.

If you are talking about other region produced HK titles. In the UK you can add all Hong Kong Legends titles to that list, Metrodome's Hong Kong titles and God of the Gamblers 2 from Hong Kong Classics.
Columbia Tristars release of Thunderbolt in spain aswell.
All this paragraphs would be PAL format and region coded 2.

There's also a few titles that escape my head, released in Japan.
Old 07-06-01, 04:51 AM

Anamorphic R0 HK DVDs

HKFlix offers the following anamorphic DVDs from HK, all Region 0:

As Tears Go By
Days Of Being Wild
Hold You Tight

Just my two cents...but I'm biased...
-Mhat
Old 07-06-01, 11:08 AM
Jad

Thanks for the information so far...

Now, any recommendations for HK R0 NTSC Dramas, preferably with extras (keeping in mind that I appreciate films like Farewell My Concubine and To Live)?
Old 07-06-01, 04:39 PM

I would strongly suggest that you browse the dramas at HKFlix. We include our own comments and rating, complete information on all the special features, and viewer comments and third party reviews. If it's information you're after, you'll definitely find it.

DRAMAS @ HKFLIX:
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/keyword.27/qx/titles.htm
Old 07-07-01, 05:01 AM
Suspended

I seriously doubt that Hold You Tight is anamorphic since it is from Mei Ah and I don't think they have done a single anamorphic DVD.
Old 07-09-01, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Aside from trailers & talent bios, very few HK DVDs have extras.

Moviewise, I don't think you can go wrong with Chung King Express or Comrades, Almost a Love Story.

Comrades, Almost a Love Story won a ton of awards & is basically about a young guy (Leon Lai) who leaves mainland China to "make it" in Hong Kong & establish himself enough to send for his girlfriend. He quickly meets a savvy, fast-talking woman (Maggie Cheung) who shows him the ropes while taking advantage of him. And then some stuff happens. Romantic & endearing without being sappy. Lots of charming moments like Leon going to McDonalds for the 1st time, meeting hs first pager owner, drinking milk in the rain...

Chungking Express is just exhilarating cinema. Basically it's 2 barely related stories, each about a man & a woman. In the first, a young cop spends the night with a blonde-wigged drug smuggler. In the 2nd, a girl breaks into a newly dumped cop's apartment & rearranges & replaces all of his things. Longing, loneliness, poetic narration, but still very energetic & fun. It had a theatrical release in US art houses a few years ago thanks to Quentin Tarantino. Amazing cinematography, editing, music - very stylish.

Unfortunately, both discs are pretty bad - Chungking Epxress especially. I think a Comrades DVD was just released officially in the US by Tai Seng, but I don't know if it's a new version or the same one I have by Mei Ah. Mine has no menu & only chapter stops every 5 minutes.

I recommend this site to help you decide:
http://www.brns.com/bb2.html

Some very good & helpful reviews with lots of pictures. You'll especially want to check out the Drama, Maggie Cheung, & Wong Kar-Wai sections.
Old 07-09-01, 12:50 PM

Actually, more and more HK DVDs do have special features these days. I know we always try to list them all on HKFlix, where I work. But even some low-budg films like "Bio-Zombie" have special features ("Bio-Zombie" has an alternate ending!). A lot of the films directed by Andrew Lau have "making of" documentaries and/or behind the scenes footage.
Old 07-09-01, 02:20 PM

Since the two films you mentioned (To Live and Farewell My Concubine)
are Mainland productions, you might want to consider other
Mainland films such as:
The Road Home (R3) directed by Zhang Yimou and starring Zhang Ziyi,
Not One Less also by Zhang Yimou (actually any of his films),
King of Masks,
Suzhou,
Postman In The Mountains,
Going To School With Father on My Back,
or Emperor and The Assasin.