Black and White (PC) worth the $$$?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Black and White (PC) worth the $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-01, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, as a hater of RPG games, I'm weary to plunking down my hard earned cash for this game. I read some reviews of it, and it looks sweet. I'm a HUGE sim game fan, and it looks like the game has a lot of those aspects, but I also read stuff about "spell casting" and "miracle" stuff, which leans more to the RPG style game. So basically, as a lover of sim games, and a hater of RPG games...Would it be worth it to get the game? All opinions appreciated, thanks .
Old 04-10-01, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's definitely not an RPG - if you like sim games this should be right up your alley. it's a really cool game.
Old 04-11-01, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i can't really compare it to anything. it's a "God" game, it's got all kinds of different type of games in it, from RPG to Simulator to Beat-Em-Up (!).

i don't play much games myself (The Sims was the last game i bought when it was newly released) but i did get this the second it was out and i love it. definitely worth your hard earned $.
<small>
Old 04-11-01, 04:04 PM

Thank you both for your opinions, looks like I'll be getting it soon .
Old 04-11-01, 04:15 PM
Banned

29.99 at compusa.com this week
Old 04-12-01, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd recommend a test-drive, if at all possible.

I also love it, and it's gotten the best overall reviews of any PC game in ages, BUT -- post-buyer dissatisfaction is also running a little higher than average -- on the various gaming message boards, anyway.

Many people accuse the single-player game of being too short and very poorly structured. If you often start games over from the beginning, you'll grow VERY sick of the unskippable tutorials. Managing villages can seem more like tedious micro-managing.

That said, it's the most fun I've had with any game in about a year. I'd describe it as a combination of a Sim Village (or real-time strategy without the combat) and a sophisticated e-pet toy, like a Tamaguchi with more complex behaviour and great graphics.

Also, check out the Planet Black & White Forums

[Edited by adamblast on 04-12-01 at 08:37 AM]
Old 04-12-01, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the movie can have a long time-span in single player too if you want, it's the ones that just hurried through all the Gold Story Scrolls that finished the game quickly without really having explored the game fully. i'm still on Land 1 although the first game i started i "accidentally" got to Land 2 without really having learned anything in Land 1 so i started over and now i'm taking it very slow teaching my creature and all that.

the inability to click through the opening tutorials is very annoying, i agree (especially since i started over like i mentioned above), but hopefully Lionhead can release some patch or something that will allow you to skip the tutorials in the beginning.

also, for all the other problems Lionhead is working on a patch and they've issued some help for various problems too until the patch is released.. pretty much all games are released with bugs so it's not really surprising that there are bugs, especially in a complicated game like this one.
<small>
Old 04-12-01, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dvdnaut
$19.99 at staples with coupon and pricematch.
Old 04-12-01, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
Originally posted by dvdnaut
$19.99 at staples with coupon and pricematch.

Care to enlighten me on how one would do this?
Old 04-12-01, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

take the compusa ad into staples (Circuit city too if you want Tribes 2 for $19.99 as well) and use This coupon.
Old 04-12-01, 04:58 PM

take the compusa ad into staples (Circuit city too if you want Tribes 2 for $19.99 as well) and use This coupon.

Nuts, shame there aren't any Staples within 100 miles of me . Oh well, thanks for the info though .
Old 04-12-01, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TheSimpsons

Nuts, shame there aren't any Staples within 100 miles of me . Oh well, thanks for the info though .
if im not mistaken, i think you can even do this online....
Old 04-13-01, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the "you must print this entire page" coupons when they are full color with graphics and such... but I still printed it and will get B&W tomorrow! Thanks!
Old 04-13-01, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sim City / Creatures / Populous meet up.

It is very very cool even though I am not a huge
sim / rpg fan.

Bought it and love it.
Old 04-13-01, 12:55 PM

Does anybody know how long Compusa will have it for $29.99? Also, I don't have a Compusa Ad. Can i just walk into Staples to price match it, by asking them to call Compusa?

Jerry
Old 04-14-01, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
if im not mistaken, i think you can even do this online....
Could I get some more details on how to do this. I don't know where to get the CompUSA ad. Do you just call them up to have them place the order asking to apply the coupon and pricematch or do you place the order with the coupon then call them up to pricematch? Do you just tell them CompUSA has a lower price or do you have to give them a specific URL or what? I can't even seem to find the game on staples.com!

[Edited by Jamezuva on 04-14-01 at 09:01 AM]
Old 04-14-01, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.idealwiz.com/ee/CU/cu-4-1...review_fr.html

or just go into CompUSA and get one
Old 04-17-01, 05:28 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jerry4fish
Does anybody know how long Compusa will have it for $29.99? Also, I don't have a Compusa Ad. Can i just walk into Staples to price match it, by asking them to call Compusa?

Jerry
I think the CompUSA sale ended quite some time ago (like on the following wednesday after the ad came out) so you can no longer pricematch it. However, Circuit City I think advertised the same price ($29.99) last sunday 4/15... but that was the same day the Staples coupon expired...

On Black & White, I find it to be very tedious micro-managing the villagers...ugh... but the tamagotchi aspect of raising your little demi-god/ pet is pretty cool...

Think I'll stick to Counter-Strike...

Old 04-17-01, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

man this game is soooo boring. i guess i just dont have the attention span for this...i tried, but its not even worth the $19.99 to me. Serious Sam on the other hand...now thats fun
Old 04-18-01, 06:01 PM

man this game is soooo boring. i guess i just dont have the attention span for this...i tried, but its not even worth the $19.99 to me. Serious Sam on the other hand...now thats fun

TOTALLY agree. I went out and plunked the cash down, and all I can say is "MAJOR DISAPOINTMENT". The tutorial took forvever, and there was an atrocious amount of slowdown. I have a Pentium 667 mhz, and the thing couldn't go for over 3 seconds without slowdown. once you get to the actual game, which took about an hour, with the slow as hell tutorial...the game acts sluggish at best, and adds barely any excitement. So there you have it, one of the worst games I've played in a while. Unless this P.O.S. gets better, I'm gonna either sell it back somewhere, or give it to a friend. My suggestion, if you got a lot of time, like slow games, have a fast-as-hell computer, and feel like losing $30...then by all means, buy Black and White . Hopefully this will get better as I go along...
Old 04-18-01, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought Black and White on a friends recommendation, and well, lets just say that I am glad EB has a 10 day return policy cuz I took that game back the next day. That game is a bunch of crap...
Old 04-18-01, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i mean, it's not a bad game, it's just boring. Reminds me of Shenmue....A lot of hard work, excellent graphics, good idea, etc, but it just isn't FUN.
Old 04-18-01, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow, i'm surprised by all the negative feedback considering this has gotten some of the best reviews in past memory
Old 04-18-01, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jamezuva
wow, i'm surprised by all the negative feedback considering this has gotten some of the best reviews in past memory
yea because all those reviewers also got to go to their main office meet the maker, etc.....
Old 04-19-01, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Jamezuva
Reviews are a load of crap. I never read them. Critics never know what they are talking about.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.