DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Do you still dream of having a real arcade? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/98900-do-you-still-dream-having-real-arcade.html)

thejammy 04-09-01 11:51 AM

I used to always dream of having a real arcade in my house. Ever since I was a little kid.

What games would you have?

Definately Marvel vs. Capcom 2
House of Dead 1, 2
All the Guantlet's
NFL BLITZ
NARC
NinjaWarriors
Operation Wolf

Michael T Hudson 04-09-01 11:53 AM

I would love to have the original sit down star wars game. That and Galaga would be it for me.

thejammy 04-09-01 12:05 PM

The polygon ones, yeah! I forgot some pin-ball ones for my girl.

Josh H 04-09-01 12:14 PM

I just dream of having enough time to play 25% of the games that I would like to on at least one console. :) I'm so damn busy any more it sucks. To get on topic, I never really dreamed of having an arcade. Especially not today with so many "better than the arcade version" console ports. Soul Calibur is a great example. Why spend all the money on the Arcade machine when you can get a superior version for $50 ($20 now). If you want an arcade stick then it would be $100, but then you'd have it for all the other arcade games you bought. :)

BillaRockStar 04-09-01 12:29 PM

Originally posted by joshhinkle
To get on topic, I never really dreamed of having an arcade. Especially not today with so many "better than the arcade version" console ports...
damn right you never dreamed of having an in-house arcade...i want that golf game, with the spinny ball, and the street fighter II with the big screen tv, and 2 stand up podiums in front of it (did anyone else have one of these around when it came out?) and at least 10 pinball machines, like medival madness, and junkyard...and a sit down pacman, we had one at pizza hut a long time ago...and area 51...i could go on for days...

Michael T Hudson 04-09-01 12:45 PM

That Golf Game is great. My old job had an arcade with that and crusin world with two linked together. Ah the good old days.

joltaddict 04-09-01 01:29 PM

Originally posted by joshhinkle
Especially not today with so many "better than the arcade version" console ports.
I agree in some cases. Funny that he mentioned MvC2. The DC version with a couple of arcade sticks and you have the same thing with a bigger screen.

mljones99 04-09-01 02:22 PM

I used to have a Mortal Kombat machine (the original). But I moved to Austin and mom sold it cuz she had no intentions of playing it.

Tigger 04-09-01 02:50 PM

My Arcade would be something like this:

Dragon's Lair
Space Ace
Star Wars
Tron
Discs of Tron - Standup-Enclosed-Version
Dig-Dug
Gauntlet
Paperboy
Tempest
Return of the Jedi
Excitebike/Super Mario Bros Dual machine
Ferrari F355
Crazy Taxi
Daytona USA
House of the Dead 2
DDR (for my friends)
Metal Slug
Karate Champ
Mortal Kombat 2
Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition
Rampart

:)

Shimmer35 04-09-01 02:57 PM

I would love to have my own arcade room next to my movie room:D

I would probably have:
Mortal Kombat 1-4
Daytona USA
Crazy Taxi
House of the Dead 1-2
NFL Blitz 99
And others but I am drawing a blank...

edytwinky 04-09-01 03:50 PM

I'd get that double screen X-Men game or the Simpsons fighter arcade. Maybe even a couple WWF Arcade games.

RaptorsFan 04-10-01 01:36 PM

Double Dragon
Wrestlefest
and the first SFII (the one with the hand cuffs and air throw glitches)

zacschell 04-10-01 08:23 PM

Time Crisis or Time Crisis 2 (the big screen ones)

I saw Time Crisis 2 with dual 50" screens and guns and all for $5k on ebay a while ago...talk about expensive (and prolly not worth it!)...

ChrisKnudsen 04-11-01 09:18 PM

In my perfect arcade, I would have these:

Star Wars (Atari Polygon Masterpiece)
Tekken 3
All those cool new Sega Naomi machines
and alot of Pinball Machines.

inVectiVe 04-11-01 10:46 PM

True story about Street Fighter II - a game I'm sure many of us were obsessed with at one time ;) (names have been changed)

Nick and Mike are big on SF2: Super Turbo when it's in the arcades but not on any console yet. Mike is rich, so Nick says to Mike, "Dude you should just buy a Super Turbo machine so we can play it all the time!" Apparently Nick is a smooth talker, because Mike agrees! The kicker? Nick also manages to convince Mike that the machine Mike just bought, should be kept at Nick's house! So Nick ends up with a SF2: Super Turbo arcade machine in his kitchen (next to the refrigerator and microwave) that his FRIEND paid for!

dvdnaut 04-12-01 12:15 AM

Golden Axe
Wrestltfest
WWF Superstars
Discus Tron (that one is dating me)
MS Pac Man
Elivator Action
Pole Position
Simpsons Pinball
SKI BALL!

MrR0boto 05-07-01 04:17 PM

I actually own 3 original arcades:

Ms Pacman
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Fighter's History (street fighter knock off)

During my sophomore year of college, I saw an add in the paper for some arcarde games. I showed up at this guy's place...he opened his garage door and it was filled with arcades..Dig Dug, Millipede, Asteroids, Galaga, Jungle Hunt, Burger Time, Star Wars, Pac Man Jr....lots more I can't remember. I bought them for $200 to $300 each.

TMNT got old pretty quick, but I can't get enough of Ms Pac Man. I kept them in a hotel I was working at. They acutally made some money, but people keep on breaking into them. I've moved away now, so I'm not sure what to do with them. Still, it's pretty cool to own a few.

Kaiser Soze 05-07-01 04:47 PM

I still hope to eventually have my own arcade. I only want three games, for now:

Golden Tee-yep, the classic bar golf game with the spinny ball.
Star Wars-the sit down one, just an awesome game
Galaga-who wouldn't want their very own Galaga.

Ah, some day.

xmiyux 05-08-01 02:53 AM

On my list would have to be Dig Dug.
Also i'd probably want that old Dungeon and Dragons side scroller. However more than any video game i would want a pinball machine. When i was living in the dorm at WVU my suitemates and i talked seriously about pooling our money and getting a video machine for the room. Never panned out but it would have been so exceedingly rad.

isamu 05-08-01 04:29 AM

To this day I am STILL saving up for the sitdown delux versions of Super GT(aka Scud Race in Japan) and Daytona USA II: The Power Edition...DROOL!

FonMan 05-08-01 09:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tigger
[B]My Arcade would be something like this:

Dragon's Lair
Space Ace
Star Wars
Tron
Discs of Tron - Standup-Enclosed-Version
Dig-Dug
Gauntlet
Paperboy
Tempest
Return of the Jedi
Excitebike/Super Mario Bros Dual machine
Ferrari F355
Crazy Taxi
Daytona USA
House of the Dead 2
DDR (for my friends)
Metal Slug
Karate Champ
Mortal Kombat 2
Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition
Rampart

:)

ahhhh,
Finally somebody as "old school" as me!
Great list, Here is mine. I have repeated some of yours

Tron
Discs of Tron Standup
Dragon's Lair
Space Ace
Star Wars Sit down
Original Donkey Kong
Sinistar
Robotron
Galaga
Spy Hunter Sit Down
Indiana Jones & Temple of Doom
Dig-Dug
Gauntlet
Paperboy
Time Crisis Sit-Down
Operation Wolf
Terminator
Crystal Castles
Quebert
Star Castle
Xevious
Beer Tapper
Timber!
Track & Field (my fingers still hurt!)
House of the Dead
Virtua Cop

Im sure I will think of 20 more that should be on
the list by lunch today :)

viscera 05-10-01 03:46 PM

I own Sega's Wrestle War standup arcade. I have been trying to sell it for about 3 years now! No one around here seems to want it, I think I am just going to take it to an auction house, if it doesn't sell there, it is going to the dump. The game is great, but after you beat it 20+ times you get very sick of it! The only thing that remotly interestes me about it now, is that it is JAMMA compatible, which means I can install several different circut boards and completely change it into a diffent game like Ms. Pacman or Galga. But I don't want to take the time, plus it takes up too much space. Just be forwarned that these machines are pretty hard to get rid of if they are not popular games.

Absolute Zero 05-10-01 03:54 PM

I've actually got a good start on an arcade myself which includes:

Indiana Jones Pinball
Gilligan's Island Pinball
Pinball Magic
Neo Geo w/
-Metal Slug
-Samuria Showdown
Bad Dudes
X-men (2-screen with all characters playable)

I bought the Neo Geo from a local store for $250, the Bad Dudes on Ebay for $100, and X-Men from an arcade for $350. I don't know how much the pinball were, I didn't buy them.

Let this go to show that you can pick up some cool stuff for relatively cheap. You just have to look for it.

DamingR 05-11-01 08:40 AM

I have one arcade machine: Demolition Derby.

Most people have never played it, but I swear that it's one of the best arcade games ever. It's never been ported to anything else, so my girlfriend bought it for me. It's a great game.

I got the 2-Player version... Maybe one day I can get the 4-Player.

Mexican Menace 05-11-01 12:37 PM

Originally posted by BigDaddy
I would love to have the original sit down star wars game.
Me too, but someone beat to it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1138740111