DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Hitman: Codename 47. Good? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/93750-hitman-codename-47-good.html)

Kudama 03-23-01 06:11 PM

I just bought Hitman: Codename 47 and won't be able to set it up and play 'til late tonight or probably tomorrow. The curiosity is driving me mad.

Is it a good game? Reeeeeeeally good?

It looks like it could be super cool, but in one picture, the cross hairs are on some guy and the hitman isn't even holding up a weapon. Does your character move in a responsive manner? Is it fairly cinematic? Any thoughts?

All input is totally appreciated:)

bulletproof 03-23-01 10:08 PM

I don't have it personally, but what I have heard is that it "could" have been a really cool game- just a few gripes here and there make it less than awesome. just don't know what that means. Let us know how it is I was curious about it myself.

Kudama 03-26-01 03:31 PM

Well, I finally got to play it this weekend (a little bit) and so far it's pretty cool. You can set the camera up a la Tomb Raider or Resident Evil (your choice) and the sound is really good. The first time I fired a gun, I actually jumped. The guns sound great. The controls are really hard to get used to. I was too lazy to try and create a profile for the joystick, but if that's possible, it should help a lot. Otherwise, I just can't really see having to react in a hairy situation with the keyboard/mouse configuration. It's probably just a matter of getting used to it. One of my main problems is that I have the mouse on the left side due to lack of desktop and I'm right handed. If I just move that mouse over…..

tha_dvd_man 03-26-01 05:26 PM

I played the demo of it and it was the worst "gaming" experience I ever had.

SmackDaddy 03-27-01 02:39 PM

Well, I actually HAVE the game. It's a nice change of pace from your standard FPS in that there is no set method of completeing each mission, although I would recommend using stealth at every oportunity.

The worst part of the game is the lack of an "in game" save system. Instead you must complete each mission in it's entirety. Not bad in the beginning, but later on you will be pissed!! Once you complete a mission you can go back to it and replay it if you like. Nice for practicing.

If you are easily frustrated I would stay away. I'm not, so I like it quite a bit.

tha_dvd_man 03-27-01 05:13 PM

Originally posted by SmackDaddy
Well, I actually HAVE the game. It's a nice change of pace from your standard FPS in that there is no set method of completeing each mission, although I would recommend using stealth at every oportunity.

The worst part of the game is the lack of an "in game" save system. Instead you must complete each mission in it's entirety. Not bad in the beginning, but later on you will be pissed!! Once you complete a mission you can go back to it and replay it if you like. Nice for practicing.

If you are easily frustrated I would stay away. I'm not, so I like it quite a bit.

Well tell me then, is the control improved over the demo version? Because when I played it the control was absolutely atrocious.

SmackDaddy 03-28-01 09:20 AM

Well, I'm not sure what part of the control you are refering to, but the funky weapon seletion is really all I have a problem with. I'm finally used to their WASD variation.

You can remap controls, but you have to open the CFG file and manually do it.

Kudama 03-28-01 11:18 AM

SmackDaddy, can you remap the controls to joystick. Just curious.
I could see how this game could be really fun, I just haven't had the gumption to sit and play it for a substantial time. I'm still hooked on the hectic pace of Crimson Skies, so I have to take a breath and center myself to play this one. It's a cool change of mood.

SmackDaddy 03-28-01 12:33 PM

I've tried using a joystickwith FPS's but just can't get used toit. Heck I even bought a KB/mouse for my Dreamcast to play Quake 3.

tha_dvd_man 03-28-01 02:53 PM

Originally posted by SmackDaddy
Well, I'm not sure what part of the control you are refering to, but the funky weapon seletion is really all I have a problem with. I'm finally used to their WASD variation.

You can remap controls, but you have to open the CFG file and manually do it.

ALL the controls. Perhaps they drastically improved the controls for the final game, but I remember the demo being absolutely horrible because of the control, and EVERYBODY I talked to about the demo- real life and in gaming forums- agreeing with me.

RolloTomasi 03-28-01 06:44 PM

The game was pretty fun in Hong Kong, but it lost its charm for me after Hong Kong - the Columbia missions were interminable, and I didn't play long enough to see the supposedly cool missions after them. I don't know what control problems you people are having, though. It may just be bad memory, but I remember being able to change the controls in the actual game, but YMMV.