Want opinions: Grandia II for DC

Old 03-07-01, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
topic says it all...
Old 03-07-01, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From the reviews I've read, you're better off with Skies of Arcadia for your Dreamcast RPG fix. Myself, just ordered Arcadia today, actually.
Old 03-07-01, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Grandia 2 is an excellent RPG. Don't believe the bs reviews that say the story is weak - the story may be the age-old "good vs. evil" plot, but the history and personalities of the characters, along with generous doses of side-splitting humor, make the game very enthralling.

The graphics and overall artwork are as beautiful as the first game in the series. If you're expecting loads of CG cut-scenes like the recent Square RPG's, then you'll be disappointed. But if you love intricately detailed and colorfully lush artwork of the hand-drawn type, then you'll be in heaven. Every time I load up this game I'm still in awe of the graphics. Music is equally as impressive, and definitely memorable.

But the most important aspect of Grandia 2 is the amazing battle system - easily the best ever created for a console RPG. I spend hours at a time just building up my characters and appropriating skills properly. Who needs mini-games?!? Battling is a treat, and the lack of random battles is a very welcome concept.

The drawbacks of this game are as follows - the music is not loud enough, there is a lack of "epic" spells to be cast (compared to the Final Fantasy series), the story does get a bit repetitive and drawn-out at times, but these moments don't last long, and there aren't enough bosses to fight (in my opinion).

I'm almost at the end of the game, and I've loved nearly every minute of it. This game reminds me of Chronotrigger in some ways, so if you dug that, buy Grandia 2. Definitely the best RPG I've played since FFVII (and better in some ways). Hope this wasn't more information than you wanted (but it's from a gamer of 25 years, and not a paid editor).
Old 03-07-01, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i would recomend it, as long as it's fun you should try it right? i thought this was an excellent game, maybe not the best out there, but still a really fun rpg to play.
Old 03-07-01, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's ok - i think SoA is a much better game if you haven't played it before. Grandia 2 is really nothing new at all, and I'd only recommend it if you love RPGs and have nothing else to play. It's entertaining, but there's no originality at all here, and it's very easy due to the frequent save/recover fully cones around.
Old 03-07-01, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks guys, I bought it last night, cant wait to get into it. I did listen to the CD and its very cool!

Just wanted everyones opinion on it.
Old 03-07-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Think Grandia I with much better graphics. If you liked the first you can't go wrong.

I found the story interesting as well and it was nice not to have to fight through another 80 hr marathon.

Chris
Old 03-07-01, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
I liked the non-random battles and the in-battle combat interface which is very innovative and allows for some nifty strategy during the battle. The spells and special attacks are good and effective. You really just use those towards the end. The graphics are nice and purrrrteee. The storyline is the problem. It gets repetitive and boring after a while. There are *SPOILER*

no hidden stuff or mini-quests. After a while, I just stopped talking with the natives cos they repeat a variation of the same theme of that part of the story. It is of course a very linear story. I did enjoy Ryuddo's sarcasm and snide remarks. The voice-acting is good without being overdramatic. It is one disc so there aren't that many FMV contrasted with the Square titles. The ending of the game is uneven (bosses are a bit uneven in terms of order of toughness) and the plot breaks down a bit. Still, you can easily finish this game in about 30-35 hours without feeling like you missed anything.

Overall: I liked the game for what it was. Being spoiled by SquareSoft's games, one likes to make comparasions but this title stands on its own as above average. Of course as one of the 2 good/great true RPG games for the Dreamcast, you kinda have to pick this one or Skies of Arcadia. Or, you can get both.